Dry storage/Boatel

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Okay forum members..... Who keeps their boat in dry storage/boatel?!? Pros and cons?!?

Are you talking off season?

It's really important in our area as we'll have sub zero weather for months.
Some shrinkwrap and keep outside but the direct sunlight will result in more temp swings under the shrinkwrap causing condensation. Also, blizzard winds can destroy a shrinkwrap job. Then you are screwed.

I realize you are much milder winter climate, so our protocol may be of little help to you.

Mine is stored inside at my dealer. Only con is the cost. Pro ,I don't have to do a thing prior to storage or getting it ready for spring.

Mine is stored inside at my dealer. Only con is the cost. Pro ,I don't have to do a thing prior to storage or getting it ready for spring.
My current set up as well. May try to change it up next year. If you are talking something like Jack above has, and similar services I utilize at another dealership, then:

Pros: Easy, brainless. They take boat. They service and prep boat for off season. They store boat indoors. They prep and deliver in fall. One stop shopping.

Cons: Cost…cost…cost. That and if they are inconsistnetly carefull (cough, cough), unnecessary and frustrating damages that can be difficult to resolve without taking excessive time documenting boat condition.

The above said, are you talking IN SEASON indoor storage and then boat splash in type service for when you want to use it? If so, ignore my thoughts/experiences above.

I have a storage unit - 12x45 - fits 26LX plus a dual ski trailer - easy to get in and out, and I don't have to unload the boat! Moring cover on, center storage lid open, and the ONLY time the bimini is wrapped up and stored. PRO: Out of the sun, no critters, still get's really, really dusty (the roll up door does not stop the dust storms) - I swear I had a 1/8" of dust on the floor after the first winter storage, near service people - I give them the combo and they come out and pick up the Benny for service and cleaning. CON: At $330 a month it's not cheap and have to pay all year (took me over 6 months to find and that was lucky - know people that have looked for years (though not as hard as I did - called 12 places every month).

All right gentlemen for those of you that are familiar with my story. The estate of the woman that passed away that let us keep our boat on her lift/property for the past 2 seasons has been settled with her estranged daughter. What does that mean?!? The estate will be selling the $4 million property soon and we have to move our boat! Again! I found a dry storage/boatel facility about 15/20 minutes from us. Safe Harbor. We will be keeping it here year around. $3000 annually. (March to March) and will be kept on the ground floor of a semi closed bldg. We can either call them at least an hour ahead or use an app to reserve a time for them to put the boat in the water. When you are finished with your boat for the day all they ask is for us to fold the Biminis down flat and they will forklift it into it's space. We'll see how it works out. Last year we used the boat until the first week of November so we've got maybe 2 months left......

Living in Florida, on a freshwater river, mine stays in the water year round, behind our house. The only problem is the algae that needs to be occasionally wiped off. We boat year round and only pull her out for service. It's like a large extra room in the house, that floats.

Sorry to hear the property is selling. You had a nice setup there.

All right gentlemen for those of you that are familiar with my story. The estate of the woman that passed away that let us keep our boat on her lift/property for the past 2 seasons has been settled with her estranged daughter. What does that mean?!? The estate will be selling the $4 million property soon and we have to move our boat! Again! I found a dry storage/boatel facility about 15/20 minutes from us. Safe Harbor. We will be keeping it here year around. $3000 annually. (March to March) and will be kept on the ground floor of a semi closed bldg. We can either call them at least an hour ahead or use an app to reserve a time for them to put the boat in the water. When you are finished with your boat for the day all they ask is for us to fold the Biminis down flat and they will forklift it into it's space. We'll see how it works out. Last year we used the boat until the first week of November so we've got maybe 2 months left......
We kept our Axopar 28c in a high and dry indoor storage and it was a great experience. The pro's are kind of obvious, concierge service in and out, washed our boat each time, etc.

One thing we did that was a bit expensive, but with the value of the boat, worth it to me, was an aluminum storage cradle. Many of the storage facilities now require them here for catamarans and stepped hull boats like ours. This protects the hull (and toons) from the fork lift arms. Pontoons and tri-toons are notorious for taking the scrapes and even punctures from these fork lift arms and less skilled operators. The storage places here make you sign waivers that absolve them of all damage claims if you don't use a cradle.

Here it is on the cradle. The fork lift never touches the hull. They just pick the whole thing up and drop it in the water the same as a boat lift. When you return, they lower the cradle back into the water, drive the boat on and lift it all back out and into the storage space.

Axopar 28C on Myco cradle - 3.jpg

We kept our Axopar 28c in a high and dry indoor storage and it was a great experience. The pro's are kind of obvious, concierge service in and out, washed our boat each time, etc.

One thing we did that was a bit expensive, but with the value of the boat, worth it to me, was an aluminum storage cradle. Many of the storage facilities now require them here for catamarans and stepped hull boats like ours. This protects the hull (and toons) from the fork lift arms. Pontoons and tri-toons are notorious for taking the scrapes and even punctures from these fork lift arms and less skilled operators. The storage places here make you sign waivers that absolve them of all damage claims if you don't use a cradle.

Here it is on the cradle. The fork lift never touches the hull. They just pick the whole thing up and drop it in the water the same as a boat lift. When you return, they lower the cradle back into the water, drive the boat on and lift it all back out and into the storage space.

View attachment 33363
Wow! I've never heard of that. Great idea though!

Sorry to hear the property is selling. You had a nice setup there.
I thought it would be tied up in litigation alot longer. It would have been tied up for years if the remaining family didn't give in......

I have a storage unit - 12x45 - fits 26LX plus a dual ski trailer - easy to get in and out, and I don't have to unload the boat! Moring cover on, center storage lid open, and the ONLY time the bimini is wrapped up and stored. PRO: Out of the sun, no critters, still get's really, really dusty (the roll up door does not stop the dust storms) - I swear I had a 1/8" of dust on the floor after the first winter storage, near service people - I give them the combo and they come out and pick up the Benny for service and cleaning. CON: At $330 a month it's not cheap and have to pay all year (took me over 6 months to find and that was lucky - know people that have looked for years (though not as hard as I did - called 12 places every month).
The first 4 places I went to had a waiting list. This particular place told me that a spot opened up because the couple who had it sold their boat in August. Didn't ask if they had a waitlist. Right place at right time maybe?!?

BK, the $3,000 doesn’t sound too bad to keep it inside out of the elements until you need it. I spend about $1,100 for my slip and trailer storage from April 15 to October 15. Then, my indoor winter storage is $210. The local county fair stores boats and RVs during the winter for extra money. They charge $10 per foot for the entire season. Crazy cheap. So… I’m spending about $1,310 for the season. I would pay the extra $1,700 to have the boat indoors and out of the water until I need it. That’s a pretty nice setup.

BK, the $3,000 doesn’t sound too bad to keep it inside out of the elements until you need it. I spend about $1,100 for my slip and trailer storage from April 15 to October 15. Then, my indoor winter storage is $210. The local county fair stores boats and RVs during the winter for extra money. They charge $10 per foot for the entire season. Crazy cheap. So… I’m spending about $1,310 for the season. I would pay the extra $1,700 to have the boat indoors and out of the water until I need it. That’s a pretty nice setup.
We'll see how it goes. It'll be an adjustment but I think we can handle it! Going to be weird making a phone call and the boat will be in the water when we get there! The big thing will have to be having to take down the double Bimini and laying it flat at the end of the day!

We'll see how it goes. It'll be an adjustment but I think we can handle it! Going to be weird making a phone call and the boat will be in the water when we get there! The big thing will have to be having to take down the double Bimini and laying it flat at the end of the day!
Aughta be the end of your bird crap problems!

You decided against the wet slip near you ?? A lot of dry storage facilities won't store tritoons because of the increased risks in handling those. Many do, though.

You decided against the wet slip near you ?? A lot of dry storage facilities won't store tritoons because of the increased risks in handling those. Many do, though.
Yes it was literally 5 mins from our house but I didn't want to keep it in the water all year around. I talked to the dock master/forklift driver at the dry storage place at length about concerns I had. They will styrofoam block the boat at the corners. Once a month during the off season they will move my boat to a "repair" rack and I'll plug my batteries/onboard charger in for 24 hrs to maintain them. (Charging is not allowed in the storage area) During the off season I need to have some warranty work done at the dealership. I pull up with my trailer and they will forklift it on. After work is completed they will forklift it back in it's spot. They seem to be pretty accommodating. We'll see how it works out!

Back