easier cover options?

Swoody

Reaction score
Hello everyone. We have a 20 foot Bennington Pontoon with cover that snaps all around and poles that have to be fitted in and propped up in the center. I detest this system, it has always been arduous but with my advancing arthritis I can no longer do it at all. Why isn't there some kind of pull over cover, or something like convertibles have? Or even a lighter weight cover with elastic all around like a giant shower cap? I just want to keep it covered so sun doesnt fade and rain doesnt soak it during our summer use, not for storing it all winter. Are there any suggestions, and have the newer pontoon boats gotten better about more senior friendly boat covers????

I was wondering why they don’t have a cover that could go down below the deck above the pontoon with one ratchet strap. Some of the high end fishing and wakeboard boats have easier systems.

I have a Touchless. Love it. Can’t imagine not having it. One touch of the button, boat is covered.

Attachments

• E7D2E3C1-C28F-4EFC-A99D-070EC2C5B2FB.jpeg
    E7D2E3C1-C28F-4EFC-A99D-070EC2C5B2FB.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DC056C78-68C3-45FE-80B3-C00EEDB74E8E.jpeg
    DC056C78-68C3-45FE-80B3-C00EEDB74E8E.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 710B8675-F484-427C-B566-A67CD0808DFC.jpeg
    710B8675-F484-427C-B566-A67CD0808DFC.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 100

I don't have this but knew it existed. So, I have no knowledge of how good it is or the cost.
I speht 12 years struggling with a traditional cover. Took delivery of my 2021 23LS in February. The Bennington cover system was best yet, but still some work. My new Touchless Cover was installed this week and it is fantastic. Expesive but fantatic. I got a great istallation from the dealer here on Lake Hartwell in SC - Brandon Haynie at Custom Steel and Docks..
Sandy

Last edited:
I have a Touchless. Love it. Can’t imagine not having it. One touch of the button, boat is covered.
Looks great! Quick question......So you never have to use your cover? How about spiders, and other bugs and crap?!? Do you spray around your lift. The spiders are out of control around our lift.....

Looks great! Quick question......So you never have to use your cover? How about spiders, and other bugs and crap?!? Do you spray around your lift. The spiders are out of control around our lift.....
So I have never used my Bennington cover, got it, put it in a mesh bag, and it sits in storage.

So the boat stays only in the Touchless. Spiders are crazy here like all lakes. I spray the dock every 3 weeks with some strong stuff to help keep them at bay. Shockingly I see very little web activity inside the cover. Yesterday I raised the boat to check the corners/sides of the inside cover, a few webs at most, and able to get them with the hand. I’ve never sprayed inside the cover and won’t as long as it continues to be as spider and insect free as it has been. We also have tons of muddaubers here too, none on the cover.

Cover has been here since April and spiders have been little to none on/around the boat. I don’t get the science but it works for some reason.

So I have never used my Bennington cover, got it, put it in a mesh bag, and it sits in storage.

So the boat stays only in the Touchless. Spiders are crazy here like all lakes. I spray the dock every 3 weeks with some strong stuff to help keep them at bay. Shockingly I see very little web activity inside the cover. Yesterday I raised the boat to check the corners/sides of the inside cover, a few webs at most, and able to get them with the hand. I’ve never sprayed inside the cover and won’t as long as it continues to be as spider and insect free as it has been. We also have tons of muddaubers here too, none on the cover.

Cover has been here since April and spiders have been little to none on/around the boat. I don’t get the science but it works for some reason.
That’s impressive. I hope your good luck holds and they remain easy to manage. Nice!

with my advancing arthritis I can no longer do it at all.
I haven't used this type of tool, but recall others that have really like it. It will still be work to utilize your current cover, but maybe this can make it easier.
Ironwood Pacific Top-Snapper Tool.png

For anyone having difficulty with snaps, get some cheap "chap stick" and use it in the snaps. Simply extend the stick to near the end of the tube, and twist it around the snap a few times. the wax lubricates it and makes it easier to snap.

For anyone having difficulty with snaps, get some cheap "chap stick" and use it in the snaps. Simply extend the stick to near the end of the tube, and twist it around the snap a few times. the wax lubricates it and makes it easier to snap.
Yup we do this at least once a year.

I have a friend that has tied coke bottles filled with sand about every 24" around the cover. When he comes in, he tosses the bottles over the edge, and they provide the weight to keep the cover on. Not sealed, but quick on and off. He, too, hates the snaps/clips.

Touchless Cover - $9000 installed for 30' x 9' x 7' high :-(
That's a little pricey for me.

I don't care for Bennington Factory cover that does not cover front deck and the sides all the way to bottom of rubrail and the plastic cover Clips are a pain.

Has anyone had success with ordering a cover for the winter months on a covered lift. Something like example in picture that covers the bimini top in down position? Please share
Pontoon Boat custom cover.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted a cover for my new boat last fall/winter that would completely cover the front and rear decks and sides that are left exposed by the factory mooring cover. I had previously ordered a carport from Carolina Carports, but it took 9 months to finally get it installed. In the meantime, I found this cover on Amazon, but it was not in stock through Amazon at the time. I google searched Vortex and found their website and ordered directly from them. After a year with the cover, I am still happy with it and use it even now, under my carport to keep dust, birds, etc. off of my boat. I like the increased coverage that it provides over the factory mooring cover.

I have a 23 SSBXP and pretty sure that I went with the 26ft cover, which was the perfect size.

Last edited:
Nice! Even says it's trailerable.

Keep the spiders at bay and you will have fewer mud daubers! The Muddaubers build their mud nests where the spiders s and their eggs are. So when the young daubers hatch they have access to food. I use Bifenthrin and mix my own. Same Chemical in other insect killer. Same stuff Massey and Pest chemical folks use. The spiders walk through it , lick there feet and die!

I lovee we my clips. I can unhook them quicker than snaps and don’t worry about tearing one out. 5 years, no issues.
Note, if it takes more than 2 fingers and a slight tug to release them, you’re doing it wrong. Watch my video.

Starbrite makes a tube of Snap and Zipper Lube.

Back