Electric anchor

Holdren23

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding an electric anchor to the bow. What advice do you guys have? YES NO MAYBE. What weight do you have and how well does it work. Lastly can it be wired to the rocker switches in the helm?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the funniest thing I ever read Willb. Love it

I use the Minn Kotta Deck Hand 40. I have tried other brands and they just do not last. The Minn Kotta is worth the extra money.

bfp.jpg

That is so cheating.  :rolleyes:

No pulling wet rope, no storing wet rope and dirty anchor and remembering to crack the seat to let it dry out after docking. 

Which one has more power?

I had a couple of the Trac winches including the 45 and the Minn Kota 40 seems to have a lot more power. I had problems with the motors burning out quick with the Trac. I am very pleased with the quality and performance of the Minn Kota. They have several differnt sizes for smaller to larger anchors but the 40 just seems like a perfect fit for the pontoon. They even have a version that is for pontoons. I can't tell you about the customer service all of the Minn Kota products I have used have been very good and I have not had any warranty issues.

I have the Minn Kota as well. No problems as of yet. I ran power cables from Battery to the unit and then mounted the included switch at the helm. I love sitting next to my buddies when they are digging out their anchors from the depths of their storage or better yet when they are pulling em up from the bottom and I just hit the swith from my perch at the helm.

General rule for anchor weight is 10# per foot of boat. I have a 30 #. I think the anchor rope is about 800# test. It's seems very small compared to the 3/8 rope on my other anchor that I keep on board for a better hold.

10# per foot? I think your formulas wrong. I'd need a 220# anchor ???

I agree with Holdren23,

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time....thanks willb

Marc

+1. Just saw this and was thinking the same.
Darn...first time I've been confused.... :(   Lets go with 1# per 10'...

Uhh, then it's only a 2.3# anchor. :D maybe you mean 1# per foot? Roughly.

Uhh, then it's only a 2.3# anchor. :D maybe you mean 1# per foot? Roughly.
Well heck, I got to lay off the beer. My multi-tasking really su##s. I'm glad I have you guys to keep me straight.

Guess I was thinking about 10 Horsepower per foot of boat. Damn old age !!!!!!

Speaking of being confused, when are you going to move south so you can use the boat more?

10# per foot? I think your formulas wrong. I'd need a 220# anchor ???
Hmm, when you put it that way, I'll be a little more careful if the wife hands me an end of rope and says, "tie this around your waist." 

Well heck, I got to lay off the beer. My multi-tasking really su##s. I'm glad I have you guys to keep me straight.

Guess I was thinking about 10 Horsepower per foot of boat. Damn old age !!!!!!

Speaking of being confused, when are you going to move south so you can use the boat more?
Well if I win the lottery on Friday, maybe sooner than you think!! As of right now, I still have to call the bank to see if THEY'LL let me take a day off work! My employer may not care, but my banker may! Haha

Derrick  I thought about bringing the boat up to boat with you but I just can't justify putting snowtires on the trailer  :)

Derrick  I thought about bringing the boat up to boat with you but I just can't justify putting snowtires on the trailer  :)
Hahahahaha, i literally laughed out loud on that one! Also funny because they are talking about a possibility of snow on Sunday. On the bright side, the ice is off the lake and they actually have a couple docks in! We still had some ice this time last year.

Back