W David Kelly

Reaction score
Just got a 2019 18' Bennington SXLP with a 9 HP Torqeedo electric motor (private, man-made lake with HP restrictions). Love the boat but it looks unfinished because there is no cover on the back side of the battery space. It potentially makes $1000+ worth of batteries easy prey.
Should have a panel like a boarding door. It doesn't need to be fancy but would definitely give it a classier, finished look. How hard could it be to make a panel that matches the side color and locks in place, with space for ventilation of course.

Photo would be helpful to see what you are dealing with

Welcome aboard, and get ready .... you have less hp than me (20hp) .... :D:D

Will get a photo later if the rain stops. I had to get a “Special Permit “ for an engine more than 4 HP. Max is 9.9. Originally the association said I didn’t need the permit and sticker because it was electric. I pointed out that Torqeedo makes an 80 HP electric motor so they need to update the lake Regs to include all motors. 163 acre, 125 year old man made lake below the Quabbin Reservoir in central MA.

76A7918D-EF79-4D53-B9B3-DAD9067C1621.jpeg 88EAA0F0-160A-4721-8494-56020C4D8FA6.jpeg 76A7918D-EF79-4D53-B9B3-DAD9067C1621.jpeg 6E28DB1C-0F8E-490B-9773-5EE48AD45608.jpeg 7D9CACA8-66A0-431E-9D34-32650D4F0E26.jpeg 88EAA0F0-160A-4721-8494-56020C4D8FA6.jpeg
Will get a photo later if the rain stops. I had to get a “Special Permit “ for an engine more than 4 HP. Max is 9.9. Originally the association said I didn’t need the permit and sticker because it was electric. I pointed out that Torqeedo makes an 80 HP electric motor so they need to update the lake Regs to include all motors. 163 acre, 125 year old man made lake below the Quabbin Reservoir in central MA.

Yeah, blue cell optima shouting steal me!!!!
I’d just mount a storage box back there, put them inside and run wires out the side.
Out of sight, out of mind. You could even put a small padlock on it.
Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

35 Gal. Action Packer Storage Tote

https://www.homedepot.com/p/303594031

Aside from your batteries being in view, I'm wondering how the boat performs with the electric power plant?? Just curious.

Really meets my needs. Old boat had a 2hp Minolta on a 16’ Sylvan Elite (~2000-2001) so this flies.

Thanks. Bennington’s response was that it sounded like a good idea to pass along to the design team for future models.

I get what you mean about it being an "unfinished" look. Perhaps you can get someone to fabricate a fiberglass shell with ventilation that would fill that space and provide sun/rain shelter. Lots of ways to tackle that issue.

I think I'd get a canvas shop to add some snaps along the top and sides and add a piece of canvas that might match the color of your boat or cover. Obviously, it wouldn't prevent someone from stealing the battery pack but it would keep them out-of-sight.

I really like both of the above options. One is likely more economical, and the other would make it look factory perfect. And both options would keep the area accessible.

That area might be for a 6 gallon portable gas tank and would need to be open.

What about talking with Bennington and see if they can fab up a panel similar to your gate, Install a Piano hinge and a gate rest ,It appears in the picture you have room

This is the best idea!!!

Back