Engine Advice, Mercury Verado 250 or Yamaha SHO 250?

wchasioux

Reaction score
Getting closer to finalizing a deal for a new 2013 2550 RBR. I would be interested to hear if there is anyone that has things they like or dislike about either of these engines. I have decided to go with a 250 HP and not sure about the Mercury Verado or the Yamaha SHO. I have no experience with any of the 4 stroke outboard motors. Thanks in advance.

Here is a thread I started on the same topic last year

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/1721-2275rcwgcw-engine-choices-250s/page__hl__verado

I ended up ordering the Verado 250 Pro after talking with several on this board and test driving both. Despite what you hear, the cost is about the same, within a couple hundred bucks. I had 2 excellent dealers selling both brands within a few miles of our lake so it boiled down to the test drive and my willingness to deal with some of the Merc's nuances. The Yamaha is a run it and forget about it type of motor, very reliable and easy to live with daily. The Verado probably appeals more to the techie (like me) and requires a little more attention to some of the details (batteries for example). I was on the fence until I felt the throttle response and feel of the Verado. Both engines are quiet, smooth, and fast, but the Verado is just that much more so IMHO. Either way they're terrific engines so you can't lose, but the dealer service capability is VERY important. Good luck!

One point may be the Verado is certified for 87 octane regular, where as I understand the SHO required premium, not always easy or convenient to use. I love my Verado 250 PRO, and it runs over 50 mph on my 2574GLi. It is super quiet, you really cannot hear it at idle, and you can talk in normal tones at normal crusing speeds (until the wind effects you)

Verado 250 owners... as you guys get a little ownership and usage time in with these Mercs, would you keep everyone updated on reliability and service? It will help in future buying decisions. I for one, would like to at least consider the Merc and it seems to run faster mph than the Yamaha. Steve

Actually, the 250 SHO requires 89 octane, it also shows on mercs website that they recommend 92 octane, but it is compatible with 87 octane, here is a link to their boat test on a 22ft Bennington

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/engine-tests/boat-house-bulletin/?ID=638&

I must say, it does put out a lot of amps,70 vs SHO 50. The SHO puts out 46 at only 1000rpm, not sure what the merchandise was. I see they are also making a 150 SHO now and a 200hp inline 4!

Here is a link to the SHO 250 on a 2275, we'll I think it's a link to where you can view the result,

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

The Verado system was really designed for multi engine use, many of which go into offshore fishing boats. Their fly by wire binnacle, and SmartCraft gauges are also designed to interconnect with auto pilots, GPS's, etc. You've just about got to be an electrical engineer to figure out what wiring harness is required, and few marine technicians have that knowledge.

I don't cherish spending $3K-$4K labor to mount a motor, and another $3K-$4K in gauges and hardware to hook it up for a single engine application like a tritoon. That's just more things that can go wrong.

The Yamaha can be hooked up with regular cable operated throttle/shift binnacle, and it can use regular analog gauges. You can go fly by wire if you'd like, but it's not required as the Verado is.

Since I'm always in sight of land, and the farthest I can be from home on my lake is 12 miles, I have no reason to spend a fortune for high tech features that I'll never use. Heck, I'm just glad to have a GPS speedometer on my new Bennie, and I like to keep my life simple.

The Verado system was really designed for multi engine use, many of which go into offshore fishing boats. Their fly by wire binnacle, and SmartCraft gauges are also designed to interconnect with auto pilots, GPS's, etc. You've just about got to be an electrical engineer to figure out what wiring harness is required, and few marine technicians have that knowledge.

I don't cherish spending $3K-$4K labor to mount a motor, and another $3K-$4K in gauges and hardware to hook it up for a single engine application like a tritoon. That's just more things that can go wrong.

The Yamaha can be hooked up with regular cable operated throttle/shift binnacle, and it can use regular analog gauges. You can go fly by wire if you'd like, but it's not required as the Verado is.

Since I'm always in sight of land, and the farthest I can be from home on my lake is 12 miles, I have no reason to spend a fortune for high tech features that I'll never use. Heck, I'm just glad to have a GPS speedometer on my new Bennie, and I like to keep my life simple.
The dealer didn't charge me any extra to "mount" a Verado vrs any other engine. The Bennington prep package which cost a bit also includes power steering setup which is recommended on any large engine, and the Smartcraft gauges. As far as wiring harness, the Merc engine harness, throttle binnacle, and smartcraft gauges are all plug and play. I have upgraded my power distribution center to one with a disconnect switch and separate fuses for everything like the Bennington optional one, and I will tell you its no big deal on wiring. Its all labeled. Don't think a Yamaha SHO doesn't have complicated systems, it is fuel injected with a computer, sensors, electric fuel pump, and all the other modern stuff too.

Yes, same experience here. I priced both the Verado 250 Pro and the Yamaha 250 SHO rigged from my dealer and there was less than $150 difference. They actually like rigging them since it's all plug and play. Same thing for the SmartCraft gauges. The only tricky thing is making sure you have a hefty starting battery meeting Merc requirements for Verado.

I ordered a 2013 25RBR with a 150 Verado. Last week the dealer called me and told me Bennington suggested that I go with the Merc 150 EFI instead as the 150 Verado was not enough motor but the 150 EFI would work. Since I am sold on the Verado I was going to step it up to the 175, but was told I need to step up to the 200. I am now the proud owner of a 25RBR with 200 Verado.

Congrats on the new toon!

Manitawwish1, did you get an explaination from the dealer, if both motors are 150hp I am curious as to what makes the EFI superior over the Verado

Manitawwish1, did you get an explaination from the dealer, if both motors are 150hp I am curious as to what makes the EFI superior over the Verado
The new 150 Merc 4-stroke is much lighter and less complex (no DTS or supercharger) than the Verado, and a lot lower price too. It is really a more suitable competitor to the Yamaha 150 4-stroke typically used on the Benningtons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect its because the EFI one is what he had in stock. I am sure Mercury would dispute that the Verado 150 would "not be enough motor but the 150 EFI would work".

Of course he did not go wrong going up to a 200, no disappointments there. (or here either, as I started pricing a 115, upgraded to ESP package, then the engine to 175-200 and finally ordered a 225. Merc shipped a 250PRO, so I went with the free upgrade!)

I was told because the 150 EFI is a 3.0 liter, while the 150 Verado is 1.6 liter. Seems there is more low end grunt out of the 150 EFI. Ultimately the 150 is old tried and true, while the Verado is state of the art.

I suspect its because the EFI one is what he had in stock. I am sure Mercury would dispute that the Verado 150 would "not be enough motor but the 150 EFI would work".

Of course he did not go wrong going up to a 200, no disappointments there. (or here either, as I started pricing a 115, upgraded to ESP package, then the engine to 175-200 and finally ordered a 225. Merc shipped a 250PRO, so I went with the free upgrade!)
It would be great if Mercury would upgrade my 200 I-4 Verado to a 225 I-6. Mercury are you listening? BTW, my brother used to be the Director of Global Production and Scheduling worldwide for Mercury out of Fond du Lac.

Back