Engine delays...question on switching 175 to 150hp

FightinIrish

Reaction score
My 23SSRCX w/ SPS arrived a couple weeks ago (super excited, can’t wait to share pics with all of you) but no 175vmax yet. Ordered back in October. Talked to my dealer today and he has no prediction when the motor will arrive. He did say he has a 150vmax in stock that I could have instead, now.

So, 150vmax now or wait unknown time for the 175vmax...any advice helps!

for reference, I initially planned on a 150 but on this forum I was convinced of “for a few hundred dollars more why not get a 175!?”

thanks!

Have them put the 150 on now, then swap the 175 when it comes in.

Video from Yamaha confirming delays. Rumor is that some orders are getting cancelled so that dealers can be supplied. Good thing Bennington is a top purchaser of Yamaha motors, I would think they would get priority.

So unfortunately it doesn't sound like a "swap" type deal. Either I decide to go with the 150 now forever or wait for the 175. I'll be financing some of it so they need the exact serial # for paperwork of actual engine, so another reason why we can't swap later.

I heard from a Bennington rep that my engine is "on a ship in the US" but there are delays unloading these container ships, etc so no idea when it'll be ready. Could be months I guess...up here in the northeast our season is short and I live 5 hours away from my boat so we have to clump our time up here. I just don't want to miss out on too much of this season.

Is the 175 really much better than the 150?? I'm torn because nobody ever said "yea, get less horsepower, that's a great idea" but this year is bizarre.

Thanks for all input!

Most here will say a 150 will do anything you ask of it - pull skiers/tubers, be plenty fast, sip fuel etc. What does the extra 25+ HP get you and what is it worth to you? My guess is 3-4 MPH and a little more responsiveness, but not much else since it's the same block, internals etc., only difference is the ECU. For some, that extra speed is worth it, others they're just a party barge cruising down the ICW so speed is a non-factor - it all depends on your unique situation and desires.

If it were me, I would not sacrifice getting the boat splashed a few months early in exchange for potentially 10+ years living with a smaller motor. It sucks and many of us similarly endured the agony of waiting, but I would evaluate it over the totality of my boating experience. I make long runs to fishing holes and other destinations so top speed is a consideration for me, and I also boat year-round (I was still fishing in the dead of winter here in VA) so there is no "season" for me to consider.

Boating is great but maybe plan a cool trip to help pass the time? RV in Yellowstone or go on a cruise to the Bahamas?

So unfortunately it doesn't sound like a "swap" type deal. Either I decide to go with the 150 now forever or wait for the 175. I'll be financing some of it so they need the exact serial # for paperwork of actual engine, so another reason why we can't swap later.

I heard from a Bennington rep that my engine is "on a ship in the US" but there are delays unloading these container ships, etc so no idea when it'll be ready. Could be months I guess...up here in the northeast our season is short and I live 5 hours away from my boat so we have to clump our time up here. I just don't want to miss out on too much of this season.

Is the 175 really much better than the 150?? I'm torn because nobody ever said "yea, get less horsepower, that's a great idea" but this year is bizarre.

Thanks for all input!

Ahh, makes sense.

I'm in the same situation for product. Here is an example of what's happening in the LA port.. When you pay people more money to stay home, this is what happens..

https://www.wsj.com/video/cargo-shi...C9-B41F-B5C4C9A1243A.html?mod=djemlogistics_h

If you want to boat now get the 150. It's a proven bulletproof engine! But you know somewhere down the line you are going to wonder......... Damn I wonder how that 175 would have performed?!? Ha! We went from a 220hp I/0 to a 150 outboard and haven't missed a beat. Everybody still skis/wakeboards and have no trouble pulling people out of the water...

Echoing 1trotter - is a 200Hp available? Maybe its the excuse to push upward instead of downward? Did that come up in discussion, and if not is it worth inquiring about.

As others said, In regards to boating activity, you wont miss anything. What you can do on the 175 you can still do on the 150. Just going to give up a small up of speed at WOT, and a little bit of hole shot when the boat is loaded up with lots of people and gear (when hole shot probably isn’t going matter in those circumstances anyway).

Daril hit the nail on the head. You’d really be fine with that 150, but over time probably have lingering “what if” thoughts about that 175.

Bennington Specs show a 23SSRCX can take a MAX HP of 150, 175, 200, or 250 depending on the config of your tubes.
Your boat lists SPS as MAX HP 175 or 200, while your boat lists SPS-Plus as MAX HP 250.
We have a 22SSX-SPS (MAX HP 200) with 150 HP and are still very satisfied with our cruising distance, cruising speed, overall performance, and our lower gas consumption.
With just the Captain aboard our boat is easily a 40+ MPH run-quick boat!
With a total capacity of 4-6 aboard it is still plenty pleasant, for everyone.
We have never yet missed having more HP.
All that said ... HP for some folks is kind of like cowbell ... some folks just need more HP!
:)
Enjoy!

you will not find one person on this forum who has said " I bought too large a motor." Horsepower is cheapest at the start. I had a g2375 with an arch back in 2013 that was equipped with a 200 and it was adequate. A lot of people think it is about speed. This is not what it cracks up to be. Get 8-10 friends on board and 2 coolers and you will be glad you got a little more power. JMHO

If the motor is on the water from overseas I'd wait. It isn't taking too much longer to unload ships from overseas. If your boat is 5 hours away it doesn't sound like you'll be missing too much time on it. Maybe you spend weeks at a time there, I'm not sure. But at this point, I'd wait.

I like how others asked about a 200hp. Is it an option?

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I'll inquire about a 200, great idea. Man, you guys are really good at spending other people's money!

Yes 5h away so we go up and spend chunks of time, 5-8 days at a time. I'd hate to miss a couple of these trips of boating because we only have so many of these per year. But certainly will have this boat for years to come so want to have that "last boat first". That being said, I don't see us doing much WOT operation, mostly cruising a large lake, 6-8 adults, and water sports down the road (I have a 1 year old....I think the 150 could get her up on skis!)

Anyways, I have 2 weeks before my rigging/pickup date so my dealer is allowing me to wait those 2 weeks to see if my 175 comes in. He is also expecting one for a stock boat that he said I could have if it comes sooner.

Thanks again all!

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I'll inquire about a 200, great idea. Man, you guys are really good at spending other people's money!

Yes 5h away so we go up and spend chunks of time, 5-8 days at a time. I'd hate to miss a couple of these trips of boating because we only have so many of these per year. But certainly will have this boat for years to come so want to have that "last boat first". That being said, I don't see us doing much WOT operation, mostly cruising a large lake, 6-8 adults, and water sports down the road (I have a 1 year old....I think the 150 could get her up on skis!)

Anyways, I have 2 weeks before my rigging/pickup date so my dealer is allowing me to wait those 2 weeks to see if my 175 comes in. He is also expecting one for a stock boat that he said I could have if it comes sooner.

Thanks again all!
This groups strengths:
(1) Spending other peoples money.
(2) Spending our own money.
(3) Giving quality advice.

;) :D

I love the 200hp on the 23sxpfb. It’s not just WOT to consider, but cruising speed, water conditions, and load. I had 10 adults on the boat recently for a 5 hour round trip ride and the boat performed quite well.
About five years ago I was able to test drive a Bennington G23 with a 200hp and then drove an sx24 with a 150hp and that made up my mind to go with the 200hp.

Last edited:
Back