Engine oil preference

sidecar1997

Reaction score
If you are like me and service your own engine, What is your preference when it comes to engine oil. My engine is a Yamaha 250xa and I have used Rotella heavy duty oil in all my other boats and thinking about using it in this one. Any comments? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
As i am sure you know, Rotella is primarily an oil for diesel engines, and an excellent oil at that. But it may contain some additives that might not be good for warranty purposes.

I think you should stick with an oil that meets warranty specs. until you are out of warranty. After that, you could use whatever oil you like. Personally, i have used Rotella in my gas powered camper towing vehicle with no known side effects.

I am sure some others will weigh in on the pros and cons of using a diesel oil in a gas engine.

I just run yamalube for everything on the boat. Why risk it.

Mobil 1 baby....but I have an I/O.

I use Redline in all my other toys (Harley's, Cars, etc...) and used in in all my performance boats. On the new Verado, I have been using Mercury Verado specific oil.

Many of the fishing fleet boats operating out of the Miami area put mega hours on their Yamaha outboards.  And many use Rotella and diesel oils--according to BobIsTheOilGuy.com, the #1 information source for lubrication.   When bought in bulk, it's very inexpensive. 

Diesel oils do very well on any gas engines without catalytic converters.

I'm using Mobil 1 EP 10W30 in my F150 which is a superior oil to plain Mobil 1.  And I use a high quality oil filter that fits a new Focus 2.0 liter motor--same filter.  Yamaha and marine oil filters are substantially more expensive than the car version painted a different color.

Amsoil in every compartment of every thing I own from push lawn mower to my tractor and everything in between.

Back