Evinrude G1 vs G2 motors

1Blderbob

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I traded up to a 2550RCW two years ago.And joined the club at that time. I've been an avid follower of the forum since.great forum all! Any how, the boat has a Evinrude G1 200HO. Couldn't be any happier with the motor so far. But I really like the looks of the new G2 motor. My question is,does anyone have any feedback to give on the motor? I'm toying with repowering with a G2 250HO. Love to see any thoughts on the topic

Hello everyone. I traded up to a 2550RCW two years ago.And joined the club at that time. I've been an avid follower of the forum since.great forum all! Any how, the boat has a Evinrude G1 200HO. Couldn't be any happier with the motor so far. But I really like the looks of the new G2 motor. My question is,does anyone have any feedback to give on the motor? I'm toying with repowering with a G2 250HO. Love to see any thoughts on the topic
I have the Etec 250 G2 on my 2015 RCW. I am not sure of the changes. I do love mine so far. It really has a lot of power out of the hole and a great top end. I am going to play around with props as I would like to see a little higher rpm. Mind if I ask what prop set up you are running and what are your performance numbers?

There are relatively few G2's on the lake, and most are on bass boats.  On BBCBoards.net, the owners rave about the engines.  Unfortunately, they're very expensive motors vs the Mercs or Yamahas.

You're likely to take a blood bath financially switching from a G1 to a G2, which is unfortunate.

I still find a 4 stroke motor to be better suited to how most tritoon owners use their boats.

Bamaman, could you elaborate on 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke as to pros & cons

As far as the evinrude 2stroke vs 4stroke discussion.The boat stays 12 months of the year at Ocean City Md. on the lift ready to run anytime the weather allows me to go out. That means even during the winter months  The motor has the ability to winterize itself after I run the boat during the winter,not knowing when my next chance will be.I will also say the out of the hole is noticably better than friends boats with 4strokes.

As far as performance info.,the boat is an esp tritoon with just about everything since it was the personal boat for the  dealer.Originally had a 300 on it,but I bought it with a new 200HO with a 3 blade 17P enertia prop. Gps speeds have been 42 mph with 25 gal fuel and 2 adults. Thought that was great. The gps had 51 mph top speed locked in it from the previous motor.But could not tell you how it was achieved. I am very happy with the fuel consumption with this motor,and G2 are suppose be better than the G1s. 

c

blderbob, you didn't say what year the RCW which would be a large factor in my decision but with that last bit of information I would think that if you aren't having any problems with the current motor I would live with exactly what you have and pocket that money towards the next boat

Perhaps you are saying that the G1 doesn't have the self winterizing that the G2 has however for me that would still not be worth the upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:
The G2 2-stroke has excellent fuel economy and is a monster on torque while not sacrificing top end. I also like the direct injection 2 gallon premix tank and no service for 5 years. Here is a link to a Etec owners forum if you don't already know about it.

www​.etecownersgroup.com

Thankyou  for the responses. Bamaman,thanks for the website for the BBCBoards.net  It had quite abit of info on the Etech G1and G2 motors. And I know that either motor is what I want on the boat with the way I use it. As for the decision, it will come down to the final numbers. The one thing is that the motor will have a seven year warranty that will get me through till I decide to get another Bennington. The next one I want will have 2 Etech 300s. lol

Landscaper2009, do you happen to have a pic of your helm with the Etech display. I'm seriously thinking about the motor swap. But would like to wrap my head around the final looks of the helm dash. 

Landscaper2009, do you happen to have a pic of your helm with the Etech display. I'm seriously thinking about the motor swap. But would like to wrap my head around the final looks of the helm dash. 
Mine did not come with the optional display. I have been thinking about adding it and will probably do so this year.

I'll but the 200HO!! 

Bamaman, could you elaborate on 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke as to pros & cons
I'd rather not get into a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke contest right now.  I always thought that if you run slow/cruising, go 4 stroke.  If you run hard on the throttle (like bass fishermen), go with the 2 stroke.  Of course we all know 2 strokes are now high tech animals getting great fuel mileage, etc.

Our lake is only 16 miles long, but it's in the middle of a  city with 140,000 people.  There are hundreds and hundreds of boats hanging in their boathouses.  Pickwick Lake is only 6 miles from us and Wheeler Lake is only 10 miles from us--both 40,000 acre + lakes.  Despite being in the middle of the holy grail of bass fishing, the nearest Evinrude dealer is 80 miles--in Jasper, AL and Lexington, TN--both off the beaten path.  I want service to be available locally.

I've had Yamaha engines on my old pontoon and now my tritoon since 1985 and only spent $241 in repairs.  My F150 does a great job for my needs.

And my Bennie is always ready 27 steps from my front door--12 months out of the year.  In the Mid South, we don't do any winterizing on our boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back