Express tube added between eliptical

I don't believe it can be done either

Even if physically possible, I'm not sure what would be gained by doing it. The twin ellips are very buoyant, great top speed, etc. I doubt the small center tube would improve turning capability and might actually degrade it.

Turns out it is physically possible. Hell, there's technically even room for three 32" ellipticals but I don't know how you'd get to install either of them. By my math there would be 3" between each toon!

Is this something you're actually talking to the dealer about or just theoretical?

Last edited by a moderator:
At what point does it become a deck boat?

itfits.jpg

There's just no reason to do this application.  If it was so good, Bennington would have been already selling it.  

Three ellipticals just wouldn't be cost effective as the middle toon is not engineered to have motor mounts and tanks built in them.

This will be a very interesting experiment.  It makes no sense.  The express tube is smaller in diameter so less of it will be in the water.  The extra flotation isn't needed.  We had 9 adults and 2 babies and fishing gear for everybody and the boat floated and ran great.  It will still bank flat because the center tube is not bigger than the outside tubes. No pivot point to carve a turn.  You are increasing the drag.  

The 200 HP is a great idea.

Just my thoughts I am not an engineer but I am a great mechanic.

You are charting new waters with this hull, and I have to applaud you for that. Having three points in the water should help the front bite the water better. Curious what the Express tube added to your cost.

Definitely come back and post your speed and handling results!

This is a very interesting modification... I have the Express setup, and I wish sometimes that the back didn't squat as much. I half wish I could trade my outer tubes for ellipticals...

Keep us posted!!!

Will the express toon have strakes? We will need to see pictures for sure when you get it on the water.

I have a hard time getting between my SPS to wipe the tubes down .

BCPnic top drawing reflects what my hull will look like with lifting stakes on all three tons. Yes the center toon is narrower but the same vertical dia. It will sit at the same level touching the water and add more surface area. That is why I am doing it. Again I have no idea how this is going to effect the boat. Should bank some as the middle toon at the same level as the outside ones. 3k to have dealer remove wave shield and install this toon with lifting stakes. Note the ESP only gives you more surface area not depth in the water over the other outside toons correct? Going off pick above.

The ESP center tube is bigger than the outside tubes.  On ESP the outside tubes are not elliptical tubes.  Because of the design, it will turn like a v-hull.  The elliptical twin tube leans slightly to the outside of the turn.  I have both boats and the elliptical is not bad in the turns it is just that the ESP is much better.  Also make sure your passengers hang on to something in a fast turn.  You can throw them across the boat. 

I was wrong about the vertical dimension of the express tube. 

Interesting change to the boat.  

ESP does not use strakes on the outside of the small tubes as I understood it would create very negative handling issues when it pivots up on the elliptical center toon in turns.

And even though all three toons have the same height (25"), the outer toons have more boyancy so they naturally ride higher. The express toon in theory, and I could be completely wrong, will be weighing down the boat instead of providing 100% of it's boyancy potential compared to if it was in the middle of 25" diameter outer toons. Now once it is under way the lifting strakes will probably do their job and add boyancy. As for banking in turns you need to have a pivot point in the center like sps, esp creates. With the elipticals on the outer toons there are two pivot points the negate each other ( Again, just my mind thinking this through), and not in the center which would allow "banking" properties.  

I am super curious to see how it rides. Either way it will turn some heads and be a sweet boat.

All great comments.... Bennington Engineering, feel free to jump in........
They aren't likely to check in here, so if you have any doubts, call Bennington directly beforehand. They have done a TON of testing over the years with various configurations of strakes, foils (not the same thing!), tube shapes, sizes, etc. to arrive at what they offer now.

Bennington does not always comment or read all the posts. Hopefully your dealer would have consulted them prior to taking your money for this work and verified your warranty would not be voided by doing so. Just out of curiosity, who suggested this addition you or dealer?

You are the first we've heard with this combo that is why we are all scratching our heads on this one.

Dealer. He thinks it will plan very fast with the extra surface area applied to the water and will turn better than just the ellipticals a lone.

He concedes it is not going to handle like the ESP, but somewhere in between is the goal. As i said it is going to be different and may not accomplish all goals and may even detract a little. But what the heck, it is worth the try... Just upgraded from a 2012 20 Sli with a 70HP Yamaha that moved nicely for its size@19/20 mph (tubing the same) with my wife and 4 kids. Tubing was ok and I could get them to whip to the outside with some effort. However the boat slowed down greatly making me have to straighten out to get them moving again.

Back