Extended platform needed on 22 SSLX?

ontarioguy

Reaction score
Just ordering my first pontoon, a 2017 SSLX with SPS and 150 HP Evinrude Pontoon Series.

With the SSLX, I think there is enough extra deck room on the starboard side that the extended deck isn't really needed. I won't be fishing but will be docking on the port side. Is it still worth getting the extended deck? Will it make docking $1000 easier?

Also, I wish someone could explain what the whopping $400 difference is between the Evinrude graphite vs white. Makes me want to go with a light coloured boat, but we are leaning towards Smokey Granite with or without an accent panel. We will go with the Sandstone vinyl, so I suppose that could coordinate with a white motor - I know its a personal decision.

Thanks to all of you already, I have pored over this forum multiple times while making a decision on which manufacturer to go with!

YES YES YES !!! There's never too much power or too much space. Add a fishing seat, grill, anchor, diving board, whatever. I HIGHLY recommend it.

I don't understand about docking and the extended deck? SEMPERFI summed it up "power and space". Either way enjoy your new ride!

Personally, I'd go with the extended deck. While it's a $1000 option, over the years I really think you're going to appreciate the extra room and completely forget about what it cost. It's just nice having it available for "whatever" and I can pretty much guarantee that you'll use it for more than docking.

Can't really help you out with the rest of your questions. Good luck and welcome to the "club". Pictures when available, of course!

one more "YES"

We love the extended deck on the gsr225.  It does get used quite a bit for more than just docking.  Most of the docks we stop at on our lake are way shorter than our boat so the extended deck doesn't matter much for that.  But hanging out at the sandbar it DOES make for a great place to put the cooler - sunscreen - water shoes - floaties and so on.  I would say for us anyway we wouldn't do without the extended deck.  It all depends on how to plan on using your boat as to whether it's worth the 1000 upgrade or not.

Medium sized cooler sitting on the deck and still enough room to walk around back there.

100_0337_zps4af28c47.jpg

We love the extended deck on the gsr225.  It does get used quite a bit for more than just docking.  Most of the docks we stop at on our lake are way shorter than our boat so the extended deck doesn't matter much for that.  But hanging out at the sandbar it DOES make for a great place to put the cooler - sunscreen - water shoes - floaties and so on.  I would say for us anyway we wouldn't do without the extended deck.  It all depends on how to plan on using your boat as to whether it's worth the 1000 upgrade or not.

Medium sized cooler sitting on the deck and still enough room to walk around back there.

This is very helpful, I can see where this is handy. I am going to get a price including the deck and see. After all, I plan to own the boat a long time!

Most of the time,  if you ask us to spend your money we will say yes!     :D :D :D

That's that same reason we got everything we wanted on this boat.  Don't plan on getting a new one for a while.Like mentioned before a bennington with a large motor holds it's value pretty well.  There was a twin to our boat for sale at our marina last summer and they were asking 35K for a '14....granted it only had 70 hours on it.

Why you ask ..... check this out for what you can use an extended aft deck for .... shower you ask? Cooking you ask?

I don't understand about docking and the extended deck? 

Easy to step on and off as some models tend to have a fairly large deck area back there already. My 22RLi has about 4" space back there. Even with the space on the "S", I'd still get the extended aft deck, ESPECIALLY, if you plan on any overnighters or long trips. Extra space for cargo, fuel, water, etc ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I wish someone could explain what the whopping $400 difference is between the Evinrude graphite vs white. Makes me want to go with a light coloured boat, but we are leaning towards Smokey Granite with or without an accent panel. We will go with the Sandstone vinyl, so I suppose that could coordinate with a white motor - I know its a personal decision.

Probably a supply and demand type thing but this is Evinrudes reasoning:  

Due to the popular demand of the Graphite Series, Evinrude is expanding the line to nine models. Select offerings are available in 15 H.O., 150 H.O., 200 H.O., 225 H.O., 250 H.O. and 300 HP sizes. Ideal for consumers who demand a dark, natural colored engine to complement their boat hulls and interiors

I agree, you will not regret getting the extended deck.  It is not something you can add later.

We didn't add the extended deck to either or our sslx builds. The space would be nice but I thought the price was ridiculous for a couple extra square feet. 

The thing is, if I go with the extended deck, I can go with the $550 ski tow bar. Without extended deck, the only listed option is the big Turboswing which is $1000! Any other options?

Easy to step on and off as some models tend to have a fairly large deck area back there already. My 22RLi has about 4" space back there. Even with the space on the "S", I'd still get the extended aft deck, ESPECIALLY, if you plan on any overnighters or long trips. Extra space for cargo, fuel, water, etc ...

We have extended deck. Didn't realize only 4" at times. That would be difficult.

Thanks!

I put a mount for a grill stand on our standard stern deck, it would be nice to have the extension, we did not want to spend another grand.  There was a standard tow bar last year, double check on that one.

We have extended deck. Didn't realize only 4" at times. That would be difficult.

Thanks!

Yup, been waiting to slip off of that edge for 4 years now. Came close a couple times. One of our MANDATORY must haves on the new boat. It's standard on the "CW" models, but we would have optioned it on any style that didn't have it as standard.

Yes also. Love it for use. I also like the fact that all the transom metal is enclosed by deck. Much better look for your boat. 

Back