F300 on a Q whats the best prop! Here is what I am getting....

Newport RI

Reaction score
Ok so here is what I have, 2013 Q25+sport tower and a Yamiha F300, ESP, Tritoon,I have a stainless yami prop 15.5 x 17 salt water series II.

I get about 43-44mph out of the boat (fully trimmed etc) with decent filled fuel tank and a few passengers.  I was hoping to see 46-47+ and more would be great!

Its a beast out of the hole but rarely do that and rather a higher top end without forgoing too much down low of course.......would like a bite higher top end and not sacrifice too much down low.  I know props is not an exact science and not looking to swap out multiple times but rather find someone that has some good experience with the F300 and similar boat.  Thanks all!

Would it make sense to call Bennington direct?  anyone have a good contact there that knows prop sizing?

tx

and a vid of an evening run at WOT.... sorry not the best quality but clears up at the end:)

What is your WOT RPM's with the current prop and what does Yamaha spec as WOT for the 300?  

What is your WOT RPM's with the current prop and what does Yamaha spec as WOT for the 300?  
Good/smart questions.... I saw a max rpm achieved of 5600..... but I do not know what Yamaha specs out as max WOT rpm for a 300... I will try and search online where this data can be had.  Good place to start with those questions, appreciate the reply...Thanks....

I think 5600 is about perfect (but a bit of a rookie at this) with a noted 5000-6000 max rpm range posted on yamaha spec sheets...and many reports I have seen rate max HP using 5500 as the noted RPM.... I think 5600 seems about right for rpm range. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought you have the right model prop and the right prop.  But 5600 rpm's is a little short for most 4 strokes.  My F150 is turning 6000-6100 rpm's with a 15 pitch Reliance prop--just under the 6300 governor.

Are you fully trimming up your motor?  It almost sounds as if you're lower unit's running a little low and the boat may not be as nose high as it could be.

Your speed is consistent with a couple of boat tests I've seen on the internet (using I/O), but I agree it seems you should be able to improve your top end.  I've done 35 mph on my boat and can't imagine 45 on a pontoon.

I would think you should be able to get a bit more too based on that is the speed I get out of my 250 tower model. Yours is a bit heavier being a 25 Q, plus the 300lbs in motor. I do have an extra 300 lbs in stereo stuff so just the added length. I thought you would have a different prop as well since I'm pretty sure I have the same one on mine, although maybe the change is for the 350. 

Your speed is consistent with a couple of boat tests I've seen on the internet (using I/O), but I agree it seems you should be able to improve your top end.  I've done 35 mph on my boat and can't imagine 45 on a pontoon.
Yeah the best I could get mine to go is right at 40mph.  I swear (and others here do as well) that I should be able to get a little faster top end but I tried several different props (all documented here) and just couldn't find anything better than what was already on my boat.

Derrick - You have 2 people (by weight) worth of stereo equipment in your boat??? 

I'm sure you took a sharpie and wrote "-2" on the capacity plate...  Ha ha.

Derrick - You have 2 people (by weight) worth of stereo equipment in your boat??? 

I'm sure you took a sharpie and wrote "-2" on the capacity plate...  Ha ha.
Haha, heck I have about 285lbs of batteries alone! + another 200 or so in wire, speakers, amps and "others" ! Man, too bad I never ran it with little fuel, no tubes, wakeboards, kneeboards, stereo stuff, in the beginning to see what she could have really done!! Haha

previous prop salt water series 2 15.5 X 17 motor second hole 1/2 tank fuel 1 person 5600rpm 41-42 MPH. So I just ran the reliance 14.25 X 17 with the motor in second hole. 1/2 tank of fuel 1 person on board 6100 rpm 44mph. Than filled up the boat with fuel 6000 rpm 43-44 mph. I could tell with the reliance it would spin alot easier than the sws2. Though with the reliance prop compared to the salt water series 2 I lost mid range mph. Reliance 3000 rpm 14-15 mph. SWS2 15.5 X 17 3000 rpm 20-21 mph. They have a 15.25 X 15 prop I might try that will give me the mid range and increase the rpm'S (mid range is where I cruise so I would rather have higher top end here than at wot)

Newport

Did you happen to check which hole your motor is in.  

FYI

F300xca (25 inch shaft)  RPM 5000-6000 with rev limiter at 6200.   

I have a 2017 2550QCL with a 300XCA and am running 44 MPH at 5900 RPM fully trimmed up.  Tri-Toon with ESP. Was hoping for more top end but reading all thru here, this may be the best it gets.  Boat runs and handles great but for that kind of money I want maximum performance.   Current prop is a SS Lexor 15.75 X 15. Was running a Lexor 15.5 X 17 and getting 46MPH at 5200RPM.  

Try a 16p Enertia.

CWAG,  any recommendation on diameter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl,  just tested this new 14.75" X 16 Mercury Enertia.  Topped out at 6000 RPM and hit 46 MPH.  This prop did exactly what I was looking for.  It is also a bit more efficient in most RPM ranges for GPH.  I  may have lost just a very slight bit out of the hole but not enough to swap back to the Solas Lexor 15.75" X 15.  Thanks for the recommendation/advice.

Motor- 2017 Yamaha 300 XCA  

Glad I could help and you're happy.   :)

Carl,  what does pulling the performance vent plugs do for performance?  These numbers are with the vent plugs in.

They are used to regulate how soon the prop grabs when you hit the throttle. They adjust slip from idle. Just leave the plugs in.

Back