Feedback on LX Sport build?

gab519

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Put down a deposit on a 24LX Sport. First boat - just looking for input on anything you all would change given your experience.

Family of 5, kids will be doing some tubing. I'm not really a RGB lights or stereo guy so I didn't upgrade those items.

Appreciate any help -

24 LX Sport
SPS+
250 Verado cold fusion
Ocean blue / white accent exterior
White / ocean blue accent interior
Swingback Plus
Keeper rail
Simrad 7
Cladded luxury recliner
Bamboo floor
In floor storage
Dual Battery
Power distribution panel
Ski Tow Bar
bimini cable stays

Questions -
White interior bad idea? Can't decide if the white will show more dirt or the dark will show more sunscreen. I use to buy dark interiors on my cars until I had 3 girls and now everything is covered in white lotions. Dealer recommending the Vantage coating.

Seagrass flooring upgrade?

Rub rail upgrade? Dealer didn't think it was worthwhile.

Power steering on bennington's website is confusing - is it "built in" with the verado? My build sheet only says "mercury base verado pre-rig with simrad go7 display (R/Q)"

Lifting strakes? Dealer didn't think it was needed.

Wavetamer? Dealer didn't think it was necessary for lake use.

I have had White on my past 3 . The captain make the rules and there are some things that are not allowed on board cheetos ,sprays glass or smoking etc . Sunscreen and lotion will discolor any color interior ,
I have the 9 inch Simrad , I should have got the 12 .
I also have a 250 Verado ,the power steering is built in .
My wife and I prefer the seagrass .
Yes on the rub rail .
No on the strakes , you will not bank in a turn with strakes
Any coating on seating will void your warranty .10 years
Below are the Simtex instructions

1658680831928-jpeg.33116

I’ve always been partial to the raised helm and that’s standard so a win in that dept. Seagrass ….yes.
Rub-rail, I have it and it saved my deck trim a couple times already. Well worth it in my opinion. As for go fast stuff, no idea as I’m on a 20HP restricted lake.
Looks like it’s gonna be a sweet boat!

I forgot the Elevated Helm . Thats a must have for me

Looks like a great build. We have a 24” SPS hull swingback and love the layout and look. Your LX Sport will be slick! I hope you share pictures of it with all of us when you get it.

As mentioned above, I believe lifting strakes are a bundled part of the SPS+ hull package. Is someone able to confirm? Kind of like how the power assist steering is part of the requirements of the Mercury Verado motor package and digital control system - bundled in price and set up. FYI: I have a Mercury Verado Pro, and absolutely LOVE that motor. The steering, throttle and digital display system are excellent. Just love that set up.

As for the wave tamer, if you boat on a lake that gets bigger waves, it might be nice. Otherwise, not really a necessity at all. I believe it helps reduce wave “spray” with big waves. Easy to pass on for most boaters.

I think white interiors do take much more effort to keep clean. I wouldn’t even consider one with younger kids or young teen kids. That said, I think the white interiors looks great! It’s a sharp looking choice, but will require diligence and more cleaning.

Sunscreen concern: I would recommend doing a detailed search in this forum for the threads about sunscreen. Sunscreen is tricky with boat seating. Many types are good, and don’t cause any problems. Unfortunately, many others can easily cause seat stains. It depends on chemical composition of the sunscreen, with most “spray” and spray oil type sunscreens being particularly problematic. Overspray on boats can also be an issue.

With kids especially (as well as their friends, and other guests), I would suggest having some boat approved sunscreens that are required so as to help protect the seating. We keep a basket with options that don’t present problems for our seating. If we are going boating, then those that are going on it can use sunscreen that we have ready for their (and our) use.

If people prefer a spray on sunscreen, then doing so lakeside before getting on the boat is recommended. It’s what we do, and it works well. No stains on ours in 7 years. Hope to keep it that way long term.

Thank you all for the input. Yes the elevated helm is standard on the LX Sport.

I think the additional lifting strakes are on the outside of the toons and the SPS+ included ones are on the inside? Sounds like having them on the outside may inhibit turning. The dealer did suggest I pass on the extra strakes.

yes, I would love a 9 or 12" inch (or better dual) simrads - Unfortunately on the LX you can only get the 7. I believe have to go the R for bigger units. As much as I wanted to, couldn't justify the step up in price for bigger/dual screens. It's the one sore point I have comparing Bennington to say Harris - they seem a little behind in their helm options, or rather really try to drive you upmarket in order to get those options.

Thanks for the sunscreen tips - I love the look of the white so may have to go for it and learn to live with its compromises.

Interesting about the interior coating and warranty - dealer swears it isnt a problem. I may reach out to Bennington to see if they comment.

Last edited:
If you want to really bank in turns the elliptical sports package is awesome. It turns unbelievably better than the standard sps or sps+ packages. It is a pricey option though and the sps is not bad. Yes on the rub rail and elevated helm. You will enjoy the swing back plus and its many different seating options. That was a major reason for upgrading for me. Looks like a really nice build. There are always things you can add. Some that I might think are a must have you might not. Good luck!

Interesting about the interior coating and warranty - dealer swears it isnt a problem. I may reach out to Bennington to see if they comment.
I think this would be a smart thing to do. Double check. If you can get any specific information from them, particularly in writing, it would be nice to share it back in this forum.

The dealership we bought through offers the Vantage guard, and says the same thing your dealership has said to you. The nice thing is the Vantage protection is a dealer add-on, so you can put your order in, try to get warranty clarity from Bennington, and then decide. I wouldn’t risk my warranty over it.

If you want to really bank in turns the elliptical sports package is awesome. It turns unbelievably better than the standard sps or sps+ packages. It is a pricey option though and the sps is not bad. Yes on the rub rail and elevated helm. You will enjoy the swing back plus and its many different seating options. That was a major reason for upgrading for me. Looks like a really nice build. There are always things you can add. Some that I might think are a must have you might not. Good luck!

I could do the ESP. Dealer definitely downplayed it - said biggest benefit was improved stability. It looks like hull weight increases by like 1000 lbs over the SPS? Dealer suggested this would have a negative impact on top end mph if you had a 250 on both SPS vs ESP. Also said something about the ESP being more difficult to trailer.

I have the "SPS Plus" package on a 23 ft QCW ( loa is 26'9" ) with a Verado 250. With my wife and I and a full tank of gas and clean tubes , I can hit just over 45 . It also uses 28 gallons per hour at WOT . Main reason I did not get the ESP is mine is kept in a slip all season and even with Sharkhide . ( just noticed , not on your list ,you may want to add it ) the tubes still get slimy . I try to clean mine once a week ,I cannot fit between an ESP to clean the center tube or inside of the port and starboard . I dont see why it would be more difficult to trailer . Perhaps some one who has had both will chime in.

Welcome gab519! A couple of thoughts: SPS vs. ESP - both are nice platforms but the ESP will give you better turning capabilities and increase overall passenger capacity. I’ve never been on an SPS so I can’t say how much better the ESP turns, but I’d say the primary advantage is capacity and perhaps a larger storage area.

Regarding the in-floor storage, while most on this site love it, there are some potential drawbacks (mold, standing water, etc.). Just so there’s no surprises, you might want to search this site for previous conversations.

Just like good driving, you need to look down the road to see what’s coming. That way you increase your chances of buying your last boat first!

Congratulations on your new Bennington!

A couple more thoughts on the ESP: I only trailer twice a year but I’ve never had a “problem”. I’d ask your dealer to be more specific. I have a GCW 2574 (28’9”) with a 250 Verado and can hit 41 MPH. However, I have to say that many people don’t necessarily enjoy going that fast without a windshield.

The trailering comment is pure whooyee. The trailer doesn't care if the center tube is round or elliptical. The bottom is on the same plane as the other tubes. Jack is right about the clearance between tubes with ESP. The wavetamer is adding the front section to the bow of underskining that is not included on "normal" underskin package. If the water is hitting that part of your underside I probably would not be boating.

Here is the response I got (very quickly I might add) about the question of a Vantage coating voiding a warranty:

"Thanks for reaching out. I do not know much about their Vantage product. I do know that it DOES NOT void warranty. With it being an out of pocket post production expense, if something happens to your interior and exterior we will not replace the vantage application. Only the part itself."

Here is the response I got (very quickly I might add) about the question of a Vantage coating voiding a warranty:

"Thanks for reaching out. I do not know much about their Vantage product. I do know that it DOES NOT void warranty. With it being an out of pocket post production expense, if something happens to your interior and exterior we will not replace the vantage application. Only the part itself."
If you would like to verify with Bennington .
Here is their phone number listed on the warranty statement .
Im curious myself now .
(888) 906-2628.

Are you referring to coating the furniture or the pontoon's themselves with the vantage coating ?

Are you referring to coating the furniture or the pontoon's themselves with the vantage coating ?

Dealer just said the package is for both the "interior and exterior." He was recommending it specifically in the setting of white simtex. So that was the focus of my question to the bennington rep, specifically if it would affect the simtex warranty through them. I'll try calling that number when I have time.

Yeah, interior Vantage protection is like stain resistant coating you can get on furniture fabric (think Scotch Guard). It also comes with added protection for accidental tears, cuts, etc in fabric almost like an extended warranty options via a third party for a small deductible. We had looked into it when we first got our boat. It is different than the Vantage Guard pontoon wrap/protection.

For trailering, you should have zero issue with ESP v SPS vs SPS+. They all set at the same height. In some cases with some trailers the center bunk needs to be adjusted or angled better for the elliptical shape of the ESP, but that’s it.

I have the SPS, rides great, but the ESP is supposed to turn sharper in addition to handling more load. We do mainly water sports and lake cruising on a large inland lake. The SPS works great, but if I could have sprung for it I would have gotten the ESP. Normally the ESP also has thicker aluminum, but your SPS+ is the same in that regard, so you are not gaining any additional strength in your case.

I’ve never been on an SPS so I can’t say how much better the ESP turns, but I’d say the primary advantage is capacity and perhaps a larger storage area.

Never thought of this before Steve, but if you are game we should connect and test drive one another's boats back to back sometime this summer. We could both get a sense of the difference between the SPS hull with our boat and the ESP hull with your boat.

All you’ll have to do is ignore the crazy and wild maneuvers I try to pull off while at your helm. :p

Back