Feedback on LX Sport build?

Dealer just said the package is for both the "interior and exterior." He was recommending it specifically in the setting of white simtex. So that was the focus of my question to the bennington rep, specifically if it would affect the simtex warranty through them. I'll try calling that number when I have time.
Let us know what they say .

Welcome gab519! A couple of thoughts: SPS vs. ESP - both are nice platforms but the ESP will give you better turning capabilities and increase overall passenger capacity. I’ve never been on an SPS so I can’t say how much better the ESP turns, but I’d say the primary advantage is capacity and perhaps a larger storage area.

Regarding the in-floor storage, while most on this site love it, there are some potential drawbacks (mold, standing water, etc.). Just so there’s no surprises, you might want to search this site for previous conversations.

Just like good driving, you need to look down the road to see what’s coming. That way you increase your chances of buying your last boat first!

Congratulations on your new Bennington!

good points on in floor storage... i wouldn't have a boat without it and was lucky to get it...

that said, make sure to leave the locker door open when storing or you will have a lot of mold/mildew...

As with anything - it's all in how you are using it, long term expectations, budget, and BUY YOUR FIRST BOAT LAST. So, spending your money is better than mine (not that I have any left after buying mine).

And check the online brochure - lots of great details: https://online.flipbuilder.com/pjvn/zwsr/

Rub Rail - I say a definite YES, I got the black rub rail insert. In hind sight, i would also get the rub rail protectors (small piece of aluminum that protects the rub rails from imprinting when trailered and pushed into the forward vertical stop posts).

I really LOVE my Bolster Seat (front of seat swings up to raise me up when docking).

My wife LOVES her co-captain chair vs the bench - most of the time is just us and kids - so nice to have adult chairs facing forward.

My ESP is amazing for water sports. And heck, now you can get the 350hp. It is not clear if on the 24 you get the 52 gallon gas tank.

The wave tamer / shield will improve ride and add speed in rough waters, but makes aftermarket repairs and add ons more difficult. Lifting Strakes get it up and out of the water fast, no issues turning (I have to slow down, it turns so sharp it will throw me out of the boat).

Center Storage is crucial for us! Never an issue with mold, and it's always wet after use - just pop open hatch when stored.

We LOVE our LED RGB Lights on everything - though we are often on the lake until 10pm.

I have been happy with the standard sound, but when I get the $$$'s will be adding an amp - mostly when over 30mph you can't hear much.

We felt the standard silver flooring was better - fewer edges to catch or frey - but have not heard this was ever an issue.

I would get the new gate stay open latches.
I would get the new locking glove box, even as a second one.

Check the Sport Upholstery over the Pillowtop - not sure if the Sport has the cutouts that we LOVE. Brochure might show this difference.

We love our removable gate seat when hosting larger crowds. Half of the time there, the other half in front of the port gate (be sure it fits there on your 24 - if not, I would say pass). Plus, more storage (see my post on storage).

We got a second table that serves the 2 co-captain chairs and swingback. Spent almost 30 minutes figuring out exactly where to put....LOL. Now, your model pictures suggest your front bench does not come with a table. Both places need at least the holder, again we use both at once (kid area, adult area). But, we have dinners frequently with guests - never use them for lunches.

I am installing a wash down system, but I did not care for the one bennington sold - those coil hoses can be a pain. But, the new one seems to be an expandable hose, so maybe.

It REALLY hot where we boat - LOVE the double bimini - it never goes down all summer. Not sure if an option on the 24.

I am happy I got the Sharkhide, getting re-applied this year - it was definitely easier to clean toons that first year.

Having a second prop and an extra hub turns out to be really important in my world.

When picking up boat, be sure to spend a few hours with the dealer and get to know / try everything (including putting the bimini up and down). Make sure the engine transom bolts are double nutted or at least nylon locks. Seems wiring (done at the dealer) is often not done right, but without a huge amount of work and electrical know-how - test and fix is probably the best. We leave our Benny in the water all summer - had to have the bilge pump wired direct to battery so it could by pass the helm and master power switches and the power steering was connected to only 1 battery (apparently an older wiring diagram still used by the old-timers).

And, if you need more ideas on how to spend a fortune on your trailer - just hit me up (or find my post). Enjoy!!! Anything you get will be AMAZING!

I’ve never been on an SPS so I can’t say how much better the ESP turns, but I’d say the primary advantage is capacity and perhaps a larger storage area

I have had the sps and the esp package. The esp blows the sps away on turning. If there is any way to ride on each do it. I don't think it will be a tough decision after that. I have a yamaha f300 and hit 46 mph using around 26 gallons per hour. The sps + hull with a 250 would probably be about the same speed and maybe faster. For me the turning at speed and stability are amazing with the esp hull.

Thank you for all the responses and advice. Really appreciated.

SPS vs ESP - I won't have the chance to drive them if I want to order a boat and have it here this summer unfortunately. Were you indicating that if I drove both I would definitely choose the ESP? I might not be as perceptive to the differences as more experienced boaters. I'm assuming I don't "need" the ESP package to pull some kids tubing? If I get the ESP will I then "need" a bigger engine to compensate for the increased weight? Dealer is saying the 250 on the 24 SPS+ should put me in the 38-42 range conservatively which is the daytime limit on our lake so that was sort of what I was targeting.

Wow 26 gph - so on that note - should I be getting the center fuel tank upgrade? I think it goes from like 32 useable to 45 on the SPS+, or 50 with the ESP. The dealer said it was unnecessary - but the more I think about it - if it's spending money to save me time/hassle, probably worth it.

My ESP fuel tank is marked for 56 gal. I’ve had 58 in it easy, could probably go to 60, but am nervous about fuel venting so I’m not doing that anymore.

Thank you for all the responses and advice. Really appreciated.

SPS vs ESP - I won't have the chance to drive them if I want to order a boat and have it here this summer unfortunately. Were you indicating that if I drove both I would definitely choose the ESP? I might not be as perceptive to the differences as more experienced boaters. I'm assuming I don't "need" the ESP package to pull some kids tubing? If I get the ESP will I then "need" a bigger engine to compensate for the increased weight? Dealer is saying the 250 on the 24 SPS+ should put me in the 38-42 range conservatively which is the daytime limit on our lake so that was sort of what I was targeting.

Wow 26 gph - so on that note - should I be getting the center fuel tank upgrade? I think it goes from like 32 useable to 45 on the SPS+, or 50 with the ESP. The dealer said it was unnecessary - but the more I think about it - if it's spending money to save me time/hassle, probably worth it.
The SPS will be fine, Porsche vs Lamborghini. The ESP also really comes into play with rougher waters. No issues with towing on either. Check out the Specs posting, seems the 250 pushes the ESP very well.

The SPS will be fine, Porsche vs Lamborghini. The ESP also really comes into play with rougher waters. No issues with towing on either. Check out the Specs posting, seems the 250 pushes the ESP very well.

+1 on the SPS+ at least (what I have). we only do occassional water sports, but that amounts to every time we take the kids out, and ours are young teens. I'm on an L swingback, 24' with the 250 VMax, and performance and handling are pretty awesome for a pontoon. I bought in the middle of the pandemic price hikes and inventory was limited. I wanted to be on the lake, so.... $$$. do i regret not trying out the ESP? not really... but I'm on an inland lake chain that is 90% no wake with two "zones" for speed/watersports. and for the gas warnings... the pain is real. If i had to worry about covering distance, I'd hate the small tank i have. WOT and I can almost watch the fuel gauge drop... lol

If you aren't on open water (ocean/great lakes), and just use the top end for watersports, otherwise cruise at a more optimal speed, i think the SPS is a good fit. (I think the + version is probably worth it though)

We do A LOT of water sports with our normal SPS. It wont be an issue with a SPS+. The SPS hull handles great, turns easily, etc, etc, etc. The ESP is simply better. It will give a much tighter turning radius. But the turning radius of the SPS isn’t bad, just that the ESP is better. With power assist steering, they’re both easy to steer, and it really just comes down to radius at that point.

You cannot go wrong with either one for water sports. I would get the ESP IF (a) having the increased load would be utilized, or (b) if you are fixated on having “the best” handling tritoon hull you can get, or (c) money is no object so you can spec it to the top in the features you are considering, or (d) you are on BIG or ROUGH bodies of water. If on a big body of water I would 100% get the ESP, otherwise I would be cost comparing it against other options (as I did in 2017 with our boat).

Other topics you brought up:

- Gas Consumption/Fuel Tank: 100% go with larger fuel tank. 100%!

High HP motors really suck the gas down at speed or when towing tubes (especially multi-person tubes like a Super Mable or something similar). It’s a bit jarring to experience at first.…or in year 7 :p I truly can lose track of 10-15 minutes pulling a tube and look down at gas and think…WOW!

My SPS in 2017 could only accommodate a 34 (?) gallon tank. It is the central biggest shortcoming on our boat due to time and hassle with constant refueling on water sports weekend with friends and family. If I could turn back time, I’d have upgraded to the SPS+ for the larger fuel tank.

- Anticipated Speed/Performance: I think your dealer is being accurate with your anticipated performance at WOT. Frankly, properly propped you very well will squeeze out 43-46 mph with it when lightly loaded. I’d say them telling you 38-42 range is a “safe” prediction on their part - managing expectations. For comparison, I have a 24’ SSBXP (same as current LSB model) SPS 200HP Mercury Verado Pro. Prior to Sea Legs I could get it to 44-45 mph at WOT alone with 1/2 tank of gas or less on calm water. With Sea Legs I can still hit 42 in perfect conditions.

Again…good luck with final decisions and keep tossing questions or thoughts our way. Sooo much experience in this forum to draw upon.

Last edited:
The ESP hull is superior, no arguing it. But there is a cost and weight penalty so you'll have to decide if it's worth it to your boating style and budget. That $4000 premium could pay for your rub rail, seagrass, wavetamer to bow, larger fuel tank and several other extras and still have enough leftover to put a little blue box under the wife's pillow.

I hit 50mph, have been out on many Small Craft Advisory days and do plenty of tubing with the kids on an SPS+ hull. Take that for what it's worth.

You can always add a larger MFD with an aftermarket mount - many of us have done it. Advantages besides the bigger screen is 1) I can removed my Garmin and take home and not worry about theft, 2) most of the time I'm running with the seat bolster up but occasional run with seat down. Glare and viewing angle is a thing so it's nice to be able to adjust on the fly, 3) the higher end MFD's have additional functionality like adding forward and side sonar, radar and having real buttons in addition to touch.

Sounds like you have an excellent build and for just a few more clams you can make it something that has all the bells/whistles and something to really be proud of. You've heard the saying already - buy your last boat first!

The ESP hull is superior, no arguing it. But there is a cost and weight penalty so you'll have to decide if it's worth it to your boating style and budget. That $4000 premium could pay for your rub rail, seagrass, wavetamer to bow, larger fuel tank and several other extras and still have enough leftover to put a little blue box under the wife's pillow.

I hit 50mph, have been out on many Small Craft Advisory days and do plenty of tubing with the kids on an SPS+ hull. Take that for what it's worth.

You can always add a larger MFD with an aftermarket mount - many of us have done it. Advantages besides the bigger screen is 1) I can removed my Garmin and take home and not worry about theft, 2) most of the time I'm running with the seat bolster up but occasional run with seat down. Glare and viewing angle is a thing so it's nice to be able to adjust on the fly, 3) the higher end MFD's have additional functionality like adding forward and side sonar, radar and having real buttons in addition to touch.

Sounds like you have an excellent build and for just a few more clams you can make it something that has all the bells/whistles and something to really be proud of. You've heard the saying already - buy your last boat first!
Blue box under the wife's pillow?!?

Ha! I understood the reference! We are at the point where my wife buys her own "stuff" and later tells me "look what you bought me" !

We're mostly there as well, thankfully. But on occasion I have to do something to keep up with the over-achieving husbands in the neighborhood. I'm not going to hand build a wine rack from walnut burl or construct the world's finest environmentally sustainable orchid garden like some, but a few bucks at Tiffany's keeps me in the race.

If Service Merchandise was still around I could really add some sizzle to our relationship. Nothing says "You're my gal!" like a new color RCA television and topaz pendant!

Hi everyone,

Put down a deposit on a 24LX Sport. First boat - just looking for input on anything you all would change given your experience.

Family of 5, kids will be doing some tubing. I'm not really a RGB lights or stereo guy so I didn't upgrade those items.

Appreciate any help -

24 LX Sport
SPS+
250 Verado cold fusion
Ocean blue / white accent exterior
White / ocean blue accent interior
Swingback Plus
Keeper rail
Simrad 7
Cladded luxury recliner
Bamboo floor
In floor storage
Dual Battery
Power distribution panel
Ski Tow Bar
bimini cable stays

Questions -
White interior bad idea? Can't decide if the white will show more dirt or the dark will show more sunscreen. I use to buy dark interiors on my cars until I had 3 girls and now everything is covered in white lotions. Dealer recommending the Vantage coating.

Seagrass flooring upgrade?

Rub rail upgrade? Dealer didn't think it was worthwhile.

Power steering on bennington's website is confusing - is it "built in" with the verado? My build sheet only says "mercury base verado pre-rig with simrad go7 display (R/Q)"

Lifting strakes? Dealer didn't think it was needed.

Wavetamer? Dealer didn't think it was necessary for lake use.
I have LX23– would not put keeper rail on which you will always have to crawl over. Very inconvenient. Only need that to put people on back . Have 250 cold fusion Merc motor which I love - white/red interior/exterior. Have pole - not ski bar which did not come with 250 motor. Love it. Have 2 flush mounts for table so can move back and forth if needed. Electric Bimini wonderful. You will love it.

Hi everyone,

Put down a deposit on a 24LX Sport. First boat - just looking for input on anything you all would change given your experience.

Family of 5, kids will be doing some tubing. I'm not really a RGB lights or stereo guy so I didn't upgrade those items.

Appreciate any help -

24 LX Sport
SPS+
250 Verado cold fusion
Ocean blue / white accent exterior
White / ocean blue accent interior
Swingback Plus
Keeper rail
Simrad 7
Cladded luxury recliner
Bamboo floor
In floor storage
Dual Battery
Power distribution panel
Ski Tow Bar
bimini cable stays

Questions -
White interior bad idea? Can't decide if the white will show more dirt or the dark will show more sunscreen. I use to buy dark interiors on my cars until I had 3 girls and now everything is covered in white lotions. Dealer recommending the Vantage coating.

Seagrass flooring upgrade?

Rub rail upgrade? Dealer didn't think it was worthwhile.

Power steering on bennington's website is confusing - is it "built in" with the verado? My build sheet only says "mercury base verado pre-rig with simrad go7 display (R/Q)"

Lifting strakes? Dealer didn't think it was needed.

Wavetamer? Dealer didn't think it was necessary for lake use.
White interior is great - not really a problem with dirt - easy to clean and definitely cooler temperature than darker colors.

We're mostly there as well, thankfully. But on occasion I have to do something to keep up with the over-achieving husbands in the neighborhood. I'm not going to hand build a wine rack from walnut burl or construct the world's finest environmentally sustainable orchid garden like some, but a few bucks at Tiffany's keeps me in the race.

If Service Merchandise was still around I could really add some sizzle to our relationship. Nothing says "You're my gal!" like a new color RCA television and topaz pendant!
There's a huge fishing tournament here this weekend! Bass Boats, trailers, and people all over! MLF Major League Fishing Redcrest IV 2023. Are you familiar with them?!?

There's a huge fishing tournament here this weekend! Bass Boats, trailers, and people all over! MLF Major League Fishing Redcrest IV 2023. Are you familiar with them?!?

Yeah, it's the pro tour championship from last season. Should only be 40 anglers but of course all the media and expo probably brings in a bunch of fans.

I'm not good enough to hang with those guys! But I'll be fishing a 100+ boat tournament on Kerr next Saturday... much lower stakes and zero media! :)

Back