First Bennington - 2014 22 SLX 150HP Build Review

I bought my boat as a leftover and had only been into boating for two years prior to that.  Because we bought in the early Spring, we never test rode any boats at all,  That is a mistake I will not make again, I think that test driving your exact model and engine is the only way to go 
I wish that was possible .

I had to order site unseen ,very few pics available too and I still haven't  even seen one ( R model ) in person  except for mine which is still under wraps .

I even spoke to Jason at Bennington ,the closest R was at Wilsons down state by Andy ( about 3-4 hr drive )

I would like to say it is  because we live in a small town ,but it is large enough to support Two Bennington dealers within 15 miles of me 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilson has an r with a tower right now. I scoped it out last weekend as I was passing through.

If that is the one they took to Cobo it was still wrapped when I spoke to Jason . It was they only one in Michigan in December .He said it wasn't going to be unwrapped until the show .

Last edited by a moderator:
We also bought ours in the spring last year from the dealer, already built, with no test drive. It was at a different Wilson Marine (still wrapped though) so we did not see the actual boat before we bought. We did see similar. It replaced a 18 ft bow rider that we could ski behind. We are on a 400 acre lake but have no intentions of pulling people, so it was perfect for us. Slow cruises by ourselves or with friends, snacks, beverages are wonderful and we are always just a quick trip back to cottage for "emergencies". If I was buying for a bigger lake, skiing/tubing or trailering and a bigger motor, I think test drives and handling would have more importantance for me. You really need to figure out what you will be doing and buy accordingly.

Hi Snakebyte,

Good luck with your new boat I have a 14 that I am waiting to get through te ice. :)

I went with SPS also and I think the extra bouyancy and improved ride alone will be worth it as Mendota can get pretty rough. I will be keeping mine on Lake Wisconsin. Are you using Don's Marine or someone else as a dealer. I got a very fair deal at Don's and am looking forward to delivery.

Bob
Hey halveb,

Nice to chat with a Madison area local.  Our dealer is still TBD, I'm getting quotes from Don's as well as Quams in Stoughton.  Quams just became a dealer this year I believe.  Don's price came back very fair, should hear from Quams today.  Only about 20 minutes driving distance for me between the two, so I'm fine with either, both are local, both will deliver to the lake.  So my goal is to get the best price and place my order.

It's nice having two dealers so close, if I get bad service from one, I can always switch to the other.

I was out with a friend on Lake Wisconsin last summer, was super nice!

-Jason

I bought my boat as a leftover and had only been into boating for two years prior to that.  Because we bought in the early Spring, we never test rode any boats at all,  That is a mistake I will not make again, I think that test driving your exact model and engine is the only way to go 
Hey Link,

I'm crossing my fingers I don't have the same regret. Unfortunately with ice a foot thick here in Wisconsin, it's either buy sight unseen or miss part of our already short season.  We're not skiers, although would be happy to pull people that are.  We mainly want to pull people on a tube and cruise around.  Hopefully what I'm buying will meet that need.

-Jason

SnakeByte, I know; my dealer was a good guy but as I bought the leftover at a good price the only thing left was to decide was which motor to choose.  He believed that there wasn't a big difference between the 115 and 150 and I have since found out otherwise

Hey halveb,

Nice to chat with a Madison area local.  Our dealer is still TBD, I'm getting quotes from Don's as well as Quams in Stoughton.  Quams just became a dealer this year I believe.  Don's price came back very fair, should hear from Quams today.  Only about 20 minutes driving distance for me between the two, so I'm fine with either, both are local, both will deliver to the lake.  So my goal is to get the best price and place my order.

It's nice having two dealers so close, if I get bad service from one, I can always switch to the other.

I was out with a friend on Lake Wisconsin last summer, was super nice!

-Jason
If you buy from one and take to the other for service ,you will most likely be at the back of the line .

I also  have two dealers very close .

The dealer I did Not  buy from  had a lower price .I choose the one I did based on time in business and service. if is a motor issue the marina where I keep mine is a Mercury dealer and has a  authorized service department 

Jason just throwing this out there for ya it's only a 1 1/2 drive to Dubuque, Iowa from Madison, but it might be worth your trip. Try Hawkeye Boat Sales (don't let the name fool ya, they had a Badger double decker in there last time I was there).

I would recommend more HP, you would be really pleased with the 225 verado if your going to pull tubes or skiers.
Boat will only take up to a 150hp...I've not heard anyone complaining about the 150hp...you can always have more, but should be sufficient.

Jason just throwing this out there for ya it's only a 1 1/2 drive to Dubuque, Iowa from Madison, but it might be worth your trip. Try Hawkeye Boat Sales (don't let the name fool ya, they had a Badger double decker in there last time I was there).
Hey Rockie,

I had actually looked online at Hawkeye as I had seen them mentioned before.  I ended up buying local and got a great deal.  Thanks for the lead though.

Back