First Pontoon, New Build

Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to order my first pontoon, a LSL 22. My family has owned a ski boat for the past 18 years. It is 17 feet, with a Yamaha 115hp. This boat will top out at about 38 mph. I would rather not purchase a slower boat. At this time I have the LSL equipped with the Express package and the Yamaha F150. After reading the comments in this forum, I am almost certainly going to find the extra money to upgrade from the Express package to the SPS. If I make this upgrade it will make the 175hp motor an option. Of course that comes with even more expense. I realize more HP is a good thing, but is it worth the extra expense? I would appreciate any information you could give me on the performance of the 175hp and the 150hp on a 22' pontoon with either the Express or the SPS. Does anyone know about what kind of speed I can expect from these motors?

Thanks for any help,
P.

Go with the sps hull. You will not regret it. It turns way better and handles chop better. I have a 23' with sps and a 150. It will run around 38 with a light load. I have touched 40 under perfect conditions. With my wife and me, and a full tank of fuel it runs around 37 under normal water conditions. I have no experience with a 175, but it should add 1 to 2 mph.

Max out the HP on your SPS package . 200 . Your speed should be in the 40's with the 200 .
On my 2014 , 23 RCW SA ( much heavier boat ) I was able to hit 38 ,full tank 2 people .After the 1st season I wanted to upgrade to the 200 ,it was not at all cost effective . You will never buy horse power for less, than at the time of your initial purchase .No one ( that I know of :cool:) has ever said " I wish I had less Horse Power" .

Last edited:
Max out the HP on your SPS package . 200 . Your speed should be in the 40's with the 200 .
On my 2014 , 23 RCW SA ( much heavier boat ) I was able to hit 38 ,full tank 2 people .After the 1st season I wanted to upgrade to the 200 ,it was not at all cost effective . You will never buy horse power for less, than at the time of your initial purchase .No one ( that I know of :cool:) has ever said " I wish I had less Horse Power" .
Some very good advice in that post!

SPS for sure! I know I'm in the minority on this forum, but speed no longer is high on my list. When I had my V-hull and a windshield, that was another matter, but cruising along at 40 on my Benny makes me and my passengers feel like the Blues Brothers, but less well equipped. Personally, I don't think you'll miss a mile or two if you go with a 150, but you might regret not going for more. Decisions, decisions...

Hello,

I am about to order my first pontoon, a LSL 22. My family has owned a ski boat for the past 18 years. It is 17 feet, with a Yamaha 115hp. This boat will top out at about 38 mph. I would rather not purchase a slower boat. At this time I have the LSL equipped with the Express package and the Yamaha F150. After reading the comments in this forum, I am almost certainly going to find the extra money to upgrade from the Express package to the SPS. If I make this upgrade it will make the 175hp motor an option. Of course that comes with even more expense. I realize more HP is a good thing, but is it worth the extra expense? I would appreciate any information you could give me on the performance of the 175hp and the 150hp on a 22' pontoon with either the Express or the SPS. Does anyone know about what kind of speed I can expect from these motors?

Thanks for any help,
P.

Go with the sps hull. You will not regret it. It turns way better and handles chop better. I have a 23' with sps and a 150. It will run around 38 with a light load. I have touched 40 under perfect conditions. With my wife and me, and a full tank of fuel it runs around 37 under normal water conditions. I have no experience with a 175, but it should add 1 to 2 mph.
Thank you. This is very helpful.

I like the way you think, but I can't increase the amount I'm spending enough to get the 200. My husband would have a fit. He is happy with the old ski boat. Thanks:)

Hello,

Thanks for any help,
P.
Hello,
I just posted about my slalom ski experience with our 22ft tritoon with a 175hp. Our boat tops out about 32mph.
I my opinion, figure out how fast you like to ski behind your current boat. If you ski faster than 32mph, you may need a motor larger that 175hp. Think about how many people will be on your boat when you pull skiers. I like to slalom at 29-30mph, so just below full throttle. I weight 140 lbs.
If we had a boat full of people, I don't think the boat would pull me as fast as I like to slalom ski.
If I had the money, I would have put on a 200hp. MrsT.

Are there any specific features/options that you want which are offered with the L series but not on the SX series?

If not, then the 22SSLX offers the same stern lounger layout and starts at around $3500 less on the base MSRP...the saving would allow you to bump up to the 200 from the 175, which is around $2700.

Just throwing another option in the hat...

Last edited:
I like the way you think, but I can't increase the amount I'm spending enough to get the 200. My husband would have a fit. He is happy with the old ski boat. Thanks:)
It may be less than you think . Check the build site and, it costs nothing to ask your dealer .

Are there any specific features/options that you want offered with the L series that are not offered on the SX series?

If not then the 22SSLX offers the same stern lounger layout, and starts at around $3500 less on the base MSRP...the saving would allow you to bump up to the 200 from the 175, which is around $2700.

Just throwing another option in the hat...
I will do a build of the SX and see how it works. Thanks for the suggestion

Another factor to consider is that it seems like the 175vmax (not sure if you are considering the regular 175 vs the vmax) is on a big backorder/delay. I ordered one back in October on my 23SSRCX and they still have no idea when it will arrive...so I switched to the 150vmax that my dealer randomly had in stock and love it so far...but definitely get the SPS.

I just recently posted about the 150 vs 175 decision if you search for it using the top right search bar. Good luck!

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission … :p

Our 24 sslx with sps and a 200 has seen 44.4 on gps. It’s a great ride and well worth the money.

Another option if you went with the Yamaha 150 SHO it can have the ECU flashed to increase output to a 200 HP if the initial cost difference is too much this may be less expensive option. I have the 200 Yamaha SHO on my 2022 L23 and it gives me the option to flash it to a 300. Food for thought.

Back