Flashing icon on tach gauge next to hours

Corkboy54

Reaction score
I was out on the lake yesterday and saw a flashing icon to the left of my hours on the tach gauge.  It is hard to tell exactly what the icon is but I suspect it is an hourglass.  It is flashing.  Is it telling me it is time for some maintenance?   I canont find anything in the limited documentation I received when I bought the toon (new).  Any ideas boaters?  I'll see if I can get a picture next time I go up north and attach.   Thanks much!

you might be referring to the hour icon

Yep the flashing hour glass icon is just letting you know the engine is running and the meter is counting nothing more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that question, I evidently have the exact same gage and I have searched several owners manuals and can't even find my gage anywhere, none looks close but I have the flashing hourglass symbol. Kinda relieved that is what it means.

Yep the flashing hour glass icon is just letting you know the engine is running and the meter is counting nothing more than that.
If you forget and leave the key on it will also flash and add time. The motor does not have to be running.

Thanks for the info.  I'm relieved to discover that the blinking LED proceeding the motor hour count is simply letting me know that it is working.  I never would have guessed that it is an hour glass icon.  A blinking LED is most often associated with a warning or a problem and without any mention of it in my stack of user's manuals I decided to come off the lake today in order to search the web.

Greetings, folks...

Looks like the most recent reply isn't TOO old, so I hope I'm in the right spot, here.

Similar question, different icon. It's on the uncle's '09 (I think?) 2254 w/ a Yamaha F75... nothing fancy, admittedly. However, last weekend, while cruising around, I happened to notice the LCD hour meter was showing what appeared to be an exclamation point followed by "Cd5.4" which actually kept slowing ticking up to 5.5 and 5.6 as I made our way back to the dock. No warning buzzers, engine still peeing freely, trim operable, no strikes... nothing out of the ordinary.

Anyone ever see such a thing? The Yamaha manual doesn't go into any detail on codes and g**gling yields nothing.

Hmmm .... exclamation point usually means warning of some type. Was service done recently. If not, could it be a "past due" time indicator? What type of LCD gauge is it? Basic or Command Link type?

Cut the blue wire.

...my mistake... had to look even CLOSER last weekend... the flashing indicator is, actually, the hourglass symbol (could've sworn there was a gap making it LOOK like an exclamation point).

It's just the basic LCD hour meter embedded at the bottom of the tach.

The Cd"x.y" number still keeps ticking up, though...

We change the engine oil and lower end gear oil at the close of each season (do plugs every other year... not enough time placed on them each season).

Back