front bimini flew off

Gemmill82

Reaction score
We were cruising and the front bimini frame flew off. Weird thing is that the pins were still in and intact. Anyone had this happen, advice about clips?

Yikes! I regularly travel at 40 plus with my double bimini up - but I also have the cable stays.

Attachments

• Bimini Cable Stays Speed Note Over 30.JPG
    Bimini Cable Stays Speed Note Over 30.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Bimini Cable Stays2 Box Anchor.jpg
    Bimini Cable Stays2 Box Anchor.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Bimini Cable Stays.jpg
    Bimini Cable Stays.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 98
Did you put that in after market or was it an option. Brace hit passenger in the head when it flew up. I am freaked out about keeping it up now. It was a little winday, but we weren’t going that fast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 122
What year is that boat?

I asked because you have those pins. I have a 22 Q and don’t have pins.

Is it a double Bimini? The way mine hooks up the latches have to move to the front, so the wind force just pushes the latches even tighter. Any chance you’re were the other way around?
I wonder why I don’t have the pins, btw I have a double Bimini.

Yep saw pic. Just couldn’t confirm which way latch is fastened. Thanks.

I don’t have pins on my single Bimini. 2021 L series. Are the pins only on doubles?

I keep mine below 25 with it up. Never had issues

That’s interesting… my 2022 22sx double Bimini front Bimini frame doesn’t detach. It folds to the rear and zips to the rear Bimini. The zipper is what holds it in place….

That’s interesting… my 2022 22sx double Bimini front Bimini frame doesn’t detach. It folds to the rear and zips to the rear Bimini. The zipper is what holds it in place….
From my responses, they all seem a little different.

I don't have a front bimini, so forgive me if this is an ignorant question. What is the purpose of the pin in this installation? The end of the strut looks like it is just resting on top of the pin. Shouldn't the pin go through some part of the end fitting?

frontbimini pin.jpg

Yes! We have been saying that too. Only purpose of the pin seems to be stopping the arm from moving back. But the pins were in when arm came out. Seems like a flaw. We are calling tomorrow about it, see what they say. Maybe the clamp is worn out, but it’s less than 2 years old.

Did you put that in after market or was it an option. Brace hit passenger in the head when it flew up. I am freaked out about keeping it up now. It was a little winday, but we weren’t going that fast.
It's a Manufacturer Option - Cable Stays.

I drilled pins into my bimini catches so they won't fly up at speed. It is as tight as it gets (literally zero tolerance - pins touch the back of the plastic latch) and it would be next to impossible for it to slip out.

That being said, the latch is plastic and probably could deform with enough pressure and allow it to slip out.

1) that must have been either a ton of force, or the plastic was already weakened somehow

2) if it did deform and slip out, it certainly is in a weakened state now and I wouldn't trust it going forward. Either go slow or have that part replaced?

Back