Fueling with a portable container

I think the issue is with the "safety" cans as well.  I don't think flexible spouts would help.

I have seen vents assed that can help, along with modified bike inflator valves.

Shaker siphon would work, or the cans I posed above with their spouts (and vents) are all viable options.

I would get a siphon and set the can up on the seat top. I bought my siphon from advance auto and used a 20% discount code. For less than 10 bucks your back with thank you. And if you have a hippy environment nut neighbor like me they won't want to slit your throat for spilling a couple drops.

I use five gallon gas cans to fill my boat as well. Because I have a dock on both sides, my problem is just filling it without some leaking down the side when i start the process. My cans are the "new" type with no vent and a rigid spout. I'm wondering if I get a flexible spout whether it would help eliminate any spilling? Any thoughts?

I've converted all my new style "gas" can to "water" cans with these:

http://www.ruralking.com/ez-pour-hi-flo-replacement-spout-kit-30051.html

hi-flo-bag_1.jpg

The super siphon works.  Do I want to hold a 5 gallon can at an angle will the boat is moving, NO.  Place the can on the boat, shake the siphon, watch gas go into boat.  Easy Peasy 

The super siphon works.  Do I want to hold a 5 gallon can at an angle will the boat is moving, NO.  Place the can on the boat, shake the siphon, watch gas go into boat.  Easy Peasy 

Yeah, I'll have to see if that will work for me. I can see myself stopping by just to gas the boat so not having to remove the cover would be nice. 

Chucktuna, my wife found that on the web but I kind of balked due to the price. So, it would appear you are satisfied with the product. No more spills?

Yes. No spills and pours 4 times faster than the old glug, glug style.

Actually, while looking them up just now, I see they are on sale for $6.99. I've paid $10 locally.

Not sure how rural you guys are, but Rural King, Tractor Supply, Farm and Fleet... all these places sell them.

Even Ace hardware. Honestly, the air vent that you have to drill into the handle us the key.

The new nozzle just gets rid of all the other junk that is in the way.

I have extras just in case these get banned too!

My 9.9 takes a long time to use 5 gallons of gas, so these are more for my other toys/ tools around the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chucktuna, thanks for the feedback. Winner, winner chicken dinner. 

+1 Do it all the time.

/gallery/album_351/gallery_4015_351_1013152.jpgSuper Siphon .I refuse to use corn in my motor . I always carry . 20 gallons at a time PIA .

I have a flo-n-go pump handle on a regular 5gallon can and also an old school 5 gallon can that has the factory vent in the back of the can for easy pouring.  With the flo-n-go we use a mat over the rear port side lounger and sit the can on top that way it will gravity feed with no problems.  Used it a few times the first year but didn't use it at all last year for the boat....did for the lawnmower and snowblower instead.

http://www.flo-n-go.com/

I bought one a few years ago - close out at a boating store that was closing that location. I used it but it was HEAVY to get down to my boat. The dispenser nozzle actually broke early last season so I had to cut it off to get gas the out. Rather than replace the nozzle I went back to using the lighter 5 gallon cans. 

Other thinks I have read were that it was heavy to lift, as it needs to be refilled on the ground outside the vehicle. The wheels are weak and tend to bind/break making wheeling to your boat a pain. If you can raise it above your fuel fill to siphon, you need to hand pump the entire time, and that when you "empty" it is still has 2.5 gallons left that you can't get out. 

All those items combined put me in the 5 gallon jug mode. 

With the prospect of having to spend about twenty five minutes fueling my boat using three five gallon "new style" gas cans this past weekend, I went radical. Brought one of my old flexible spouts from home and drilled a 3/8" hole in the top of each plastic can and stuck a bolt in each to act as a "stopper" during transporting. 

With the flexible hose and newly drilled vents, I had no spills and reduced the fuel time in half so I'm a happy camper! Even better, it didn't cost me a dime. 

I just bought 2 cans like Dub9 at a yard sale for $15! never had anything in them! I have used the siphon buddy more than once to get my buddies fuel sucking snowmobile back to the truck, they work in any kind of climate. We've had the same one as long as I can remember  and never an issue. A tried an true way to fuel with the least amount of headache and the heaviest piece of the puzzle is a 5 gallon jug.

With the prospect of having to spend about twenty five minutes fueling my boat using three five gallon "new style" gas cans this past weekend, I went radical. Brought one of my old flexible spouts from home and drilled a 3/8" hole in the top of each plastic can and stuck a bolt in each to act as a "stopper" during transporting. 

With the flexible hose and newly drilled vents, I had no spills and reduced the fuel time in half so I'm a happy camper! Even better, it didn't cost me a dime. 

I used the shaker siphon tube this weekend, was able to put in 20 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10801-FloTool-Shaker-Anti-Static/dp/B000EH0ORI

It was simple and is the way I will fill from now on, thank you all for input and advice, everyone has their methods, but I'm done with the new style cans and the flexible funnel using two people and spilling.

I'll even use this for my golf cart now instead of the huge funnel.

Oh and I am now using the recreational 100% pure 90 octane gas instead of the regular ethanol pump gas with additive.  I'm sure all my neighbors have already known where to get it, a friend just pointed me to the Sunoco downtown Brighton on Grand River Ave and E Liberty Street.

Here is a nice website to help finding a local station: http://www.pure-gas.org/

Oh and I am now using the recreational 100% pure 90 octane gas instead of the regular ethanol pump gas with additive.  I'm sure all my neighbors have already known where to get it, a friend just pointed me to the Sunoco downtown Brighton on Grand River Ave and E Liberty Street.

Here is a nice website to help finding a local station: http://www.pure-gas.org/

Pretty sure I saw the sign for ethanol free 90 at the Sunoco (former Mikey's Burgers) across from Kohl's on Grand River (Howell), just west of Dorr Rd..  Should be even more convenient for you.

I will try to get over there this week and scope it out Dub. Going there is up hill both ways from my place. Maybe I should start a dockside ethanol free fuel delivery service serving boaters in the area.

Back