Fueling with a portable container

That would be very close for me on Chemung, I have been there several times last year they do have / had great burgers.  I never noticed and never asked about the fuel.

i use the shake tube.  $20.00 at Wilson marine or cheaper online.  I can usually drain a 5 gallon can in under two minutes.   Works great.   If it doesn't take it back and exchange it as my first one wasn't working properly. 

I've been using plastic 5 gallon Jerry cans for years.  I went to Tractor Supply and got a huge tractor funnel with a 18" long 1 inch diameter galvanized pipe--and I sawed off the nipple on the bottom.  I can fill my tank from inside my boat.

But the 1" filler neck still doesn't take on fuel at a very fast pace.  And waiting for an unvented Jerry can to deliver fuel is very hard on the shoulders and back @ 5 minutes.

Last year, I invested in a 14 gallon Gas Buddy.  I cut off the pump on the end of the hose and am letting the fill up go by sheer gravity.  I drop my boat low on my boathouse lift, and place the Gas Buddy up on a park bench.  I can lift my big can up on the seat back and fill my Bennie when in the water.

That 14 gallon tank saves me $28-$36 on every 14 gallons.  I'll take any savings I can get vs. buying marina gasoline.

Oh and I am now using the recreational 100% pure 90 octane gas instead of the regular ethanol pump gas with additive.  I'm sure all my neighbors have already known where to get it, a friend just pointed me to the Sunoco downtown Brighton on Grand River Ave and E Liberty Street.

Here is a nice website to help finding a local station: http://www.pure-gas.org/

Thanks for the link.

I've searched before and for whatever reason, the St Louis area is the black hole of Ethanol free gas. Not a single station within 75 miles of me (and 2+ million others) sells it. Both in Illinois or Missouri! so frustrating..

To be clear, this will only work if the gas can is above the boat fill tube, correct?

Correct you have to have the fuel tank above the level where the opposite tube end is to work.  My first attempt at using the shake tube, I had the fuel can on a towel on the aft bed, fuel was flowing fine, then it slowed way down.  It still had about half a tank to go, so I lifted the can up on the top of the swingback and I could hear the little glass marble vibrating and fuel flowed freely down to the last drop as I tilted it to the bottom corner.

Interesting enough, I was filling up my car at Costo this morning, and they have a big sign that says filling fuel cans over 6 gallons is prohibited by Michigan law. So technically those 14 gallon tanks linked previously are illegal. 

I will admit I did not take the time to research this, just repeating what I read. 

From their site:

image.png

And I thought Maryland was a pain in the a$$.

Interesting enough, I was filling up my car at Costo this morning, and they have a big sign that says filling fuel cans over 6 gallons is prohibited by Michigan law. So technically those 14 gallon tanks linked previously are illegal. 

I will admit I did not take the time to research this, just repeating what I read. 

From their site:

View attachment 1443

I just carry two 5 gallon cans when I go. I have two gas stations within a half mile of my house. No big deal to make two trips.

I just carry two 5 gallon cans when I go. I have two gas stations within a half mile of my house. No big deal to make two trips.

I have three 5 gallon cans which fills me up half-way.  Because I am a slow cruiser that lasts about a month :lol:

I have three 5 gallon cans which fills me up half-way.  Because I am a slow cruiser that lasts about a month :lol:

You gotta blow out the carbon once in a while Link.   :p

Was hoping you came up and did it for me CWag

Plus the couple of drops of ethanol left in each of those empty Michelob cans ..... :D

Correct you have to have the fuel tank above the level where the opposite tube end is to work.  My first attempt at using the shake tube, I had the fuel can on a towel on the aft bed, fuel was flowing fine, then it slowed way down.  It still had about half a tank to go, so I lifted the can up on the top of the swingback and I could hear the little glass marble vibrating and fuel flowed freely down to the last drop as I tilted it to the bottom corner.

krcossin, thanks for the clarification!

Just bought one of those myself after multiple times holding 5 gallon cans up as the seconds turn to minutes watching that gas slowly gurgle into the tank!  

Back