Fueling Your Bennie

Thanks for all the replies ... it sounds like Fyrfightr is on to something. I'll try jacking up the front of the boat next time. Terror, I live in LaPine and just got the boat this winter so haven't been out much. We are near Wickiup, Cultus, Crescent and Paulina. Will probably go over to Prineville Reservoir and most definitely over to Detroit at times. I'll look for you on the lake.
Was just at Lake Billy Chinook and Prineville. Gotta love the Central Oregon sunshine!

This is how my 2275 RL looks. Did the vent cure the splashing back? Where did you find the vent mounted on the outside of the boat?
Yes, This cured my splash back problem.

I have filled up 2-times since this mod with no issues.

Cheers

Ken

I had a pretty deep "pee trap" in my vent hose that I believe got some gas in it, and plugged the vent. Once I smoothed out the low spot by wiggling the hoses around a little, it worked fine.

So, just to report back on our results here as well, we've probably gassed up 7 or 8 times since I did this, with no further problems at all. I'm certain adding the external vent like Ken works too, but if you have this problem, you might look for a low spot in the hose first. It's a very easy fix if that happens to be the cause.

Struggled with filling the boat with gas all summer and finally solved it. Found that the factory did not installed the vent line and canister line per their own drawing. Swapped the attachment points of the two lines to match the Bennington schematic provide by other on this thread, blew out lines while they were off (make sure filler cap is off and be careful, fuel may be blown out the neck), and filled with gas. Boat took gas as fast as the can could pour.

Good Luck

For anyone using Jerry Cans to fill their tanks:

I bought a galvanized metal funnel with a 12" corrigated hose attached. I cut off the bottom of the hose with a hacksaw. It's 1" in diameter, and fits tightly in the filler neck of my 2012 SSLX.

Now, I can fill my tank at normal filling speeds of my plastic Jerry cans. The funnel's available at Tractor Supply Company (TSC).

While I sometimes get a little spit back, my hoses have no low spots.

Hi Guys - I haven't been around much due to being really busy lately, but I just saw this topic come up again. So, thought I'd post an update: I've had no problems filling the tank once I adjusted the hoses to remove the low spot in the vent line. I've probably added gas a dozen or more times since then, and no troubles at all.

Do I need to go back through all the posts over the last 6 weeks or so and see what trouble Derrick's gotten himself into lately? Or has he managed to stay out of trouble?

I thought we all knew Derrick better than to ask !!! :p Gerry

Haha, we'll I hadn't been on for a couple days and this is what I come back to! The point and laugh crew here at Club Bennington! Haha, as an update, nope, no problems as of late, but I do have to go thus weekend and move the boat from the warm storage shop to the cold one, so we'll see how that goes!

Derrick

I have had this problem ever since I got my boat in the spring 2012. Normally I never let my tank get below 1/2 but in mid August I had a lot of guests and the pump line was too long so I ran my tank down. As I got to a very low fuel level my boat started operating like water in the fuel and eventually got an alarm on my Yamaha motor. I took it in to my repair shop and they dumped the tank etc.to remove the water and because they couldnt find my water seperator under my seat they added another one. I wish I would have known this fix then I would have had them look at it. My boat is still in the water and I am using it on nice days plan to go out tomorrow as it is too windy today. The marina is closed so I have to fill it up in my slip with cans slowly. Hopefully I can fix this drip line problem myself. I am very surprised Bennington has not replied to these threads or sent out information to their owners. I really enjoy my Bennington and think a lot of the company I just wish they would own up to this problem and submit a resolution as opposed to letting the customers on the blogs do their leg work.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but this continues to be a problem on the new Bennies. I just spent 20 minutes putting in 10 gallons when I needed 24, but gave up because I could only get a drop of gas to go in without the backsplash and auto-shutoff of the gas pump.

Thought I would post on here to bring it to the attention of new owners as well as thanks those that came before us to figure out a solution. Going to check out the air vent next time in at the toon.

Thanks!

Jason

There is a "flap" that gets installed as well. Mine was backwards, dealer fixed it. Now I can fill it to the brim no problem.

I had a low spot in my hose, and once I rearranged the hoses a little too get rid of it, I never had this problem again

Just out of curiosity .How did you know that you needed 24 ? Past experience from filling at a certain reading  on your  gauge .?

Which SPS package did you get ?

My fuel gauge is bouncing all over  .

Thanks 

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but this continues to be a problem on the new Bennies. I just spent 20 minutes putting in 10 gallons when I needed 24, but gave up because I could only get a drop of gas to go in without the backsplash and auto-shutoff of the gas pump.

Thought I would post on here to bring it to the attention of new owners as well as thanks those that came before us to figure out a solution. Going to check out the air vent next time in at the toon.

Thanks!
Jason

It could be that the set up will only allow the tank to be 3/4 full. My tank has a line on it at about 3/4 and using a syphon hose trying to fill all the way it also spit out fuel just over the 3/4 line.  So I now calculate  the amount I need to get as much in as I can and it won't spill out. My fill is on the back just over the motor. 26 gal. tank. During my years boating I found out that if the tank is left full to the top, expansion will be great enough during the heat of the summer, to spill out the over fill vent. This system maybe a safety setup to not over fill. 

Just out of curiosity .How did you know that you needed 24 ? Past experience from filling at a certain reading on your gauge .?

Which SPS package did you get ?

My fuel gauge is bouncing all over .

Thanks
Hey Jack,

I didn't realize there were different SPS packages? Mine has the 32 gallon tank. I was just doing math in my head, I was almost to empty, the gauge is relatively steady sitting still in calm water. Didn't want to fill It all the way, so 24 should have brought it a bit above 3/4 full.

Jason

It could be that the set up will only allow the tank to be 3/4 full. My tank has a line on it at about 3/4 and using a syphon hose trying to fill all the way it also spit out fuel just over the 3/4 line. So I now calculate the amount I need to get as much in as I can and it won't spill out. My fill is on the back just over the motor. 26 gal. tank. During my years boating I found out that if the tank is left full to the top, expansion will be great enough during the heat of the summer, to spill out the over fill vent. This system maybe a safety setup to not over fill.
Hey highpond,

Unfortunately this started from the very first pull of the gas nozzle when I was just above empty. Hopeful that it is the air vent.

Jason

There is a "flap" that gets installed as well. Mine was backwards, dealer fixed it. Now I can fill it to the brim no problem.
Ah, that would also be a good culprit! Thanks for the pointer, I'll check this along with the air vents.

Jason

I had a low spot in my hose, and once I rearranged the hoses a little too get rid of it, I never had this problem again
Based on this thread, that seems to be the likely culprit. I'm anxious to check it out. Thanks!

Once again my mistake .On the SLX there is only one SPS package . :wub:

Hey Jack,

I didn't realize there were different SPS packages? Mine has the 32 gallon tank. I was just doing math in my head, I was almost to empty, the gauge is relatively steady sitting still in calm water. Didn't want to fill It all the way, so 24 should have brought it a bit above 3/4 full.

Jason

I'm so glad this thread got bumped. I've been having the same problem with my 22 SSX. I've resorted to just completely removing the back flow preventer so that I can actually fill it past a bit over 3/4. I'll go inspect the lines and flap and see if I can figure out what my problem is. 

Back