Galvanized Steel Sheets for Underdeck Wave Shield

Kells

Reaction score
Having a hard time finding aluminum sheets and called a contractor friend, told him what I was trying to do with the boat, he said he has 4x8' sheets of galvanized steel that he could get me.  I like the idea of a longer solid surface for the wave shield.  

I live on a freshwater lake, does anyone suggest I keep looking for the aluminum, or will this work?

You'd do best to stick with aluminum sheeting.  It's not at all hard to find either. 

Let your fingers do the walking for you--on the internet and telephone to find aluminum sheets.  You're not that far out of Detroit suburbs, and I'm sure there are metal suppliers there.

Take exact measurements before you call, as sometimes the dimensions between the toons is not that much.  I think you can get stainless steel screw kits at PontoonStuff.com cheaper than at Home Depot/Lowes.

If you went with galvanized, there is some reaction due to their not being like materials. 

Agreed, I would NOT use a dissimilar metal. That's just asking for trouble with electrolysis.

I use these guys for most anything aluminum, brass, etc. Quite reasonable pricing to end users and they'll do minor fab work like sheering, bending, etc. on a local time and material basis.

http://metalsupermarkets.com/

Thanks for the advice, that dissimilar metal situation did have me concerned.  I'll find something local, now that I think of it, there is an aluminum place just down the road.  The problem is none of these distributors/suppliers have a web site so it's impossible to find them online.  I'm going to just start "knocking on doors". at these local shops

Definitely stick to aluminum! You would get corrosion before the end of the season. Check around at local shops, sometimes they'll have cut offs that would fit between your toons that they can give you better pricing!

Thanks TomS.  I am putting underskining on the Canada toon.  There is a outlet 30 miles from me that I did not know about.

Thanks TomS.  I am putting underskining on the Canada toon.  There is a outlet 30 miles from me that I did not know about.
Always glad to help (spend your money)  :)

Back