Garmin Echo 101 Problem

Michiman

Reaction score
Our boat came with a Garmin Echo 101 and because this is my first "fish finder" I have very little knowledge of what it can and can't do. The instruction book was pretty worthless IMO.

We're really not much into fishing so I primarily use it as my only depth finder. However, I've found that it freezes up over 15 mph. Above that speed, the depth number begins to blink on and off until I slow down where it then begins to registering the actual depth.

My dealer indicated that at higher speeds we were probably just "out running" it's abilities! I have a hard time believing that Bennington would offer this equipment on a rig that can hit 40 mph. In our lake, an accurate depth finder is worth its weight in gold and our normal cruising speed is above 15 mph, so I'm a bit frustrated. 

Have any of my Benny friends run into a similar problem with the Echo 101? Is it a problem with the "set up"? A bad transducer? Or, is it just as the dealer tried to imply, a cheap product that just won't work at "high speeds"?

Any thoughts?

I have the echo 101 also and use it for the same reason.   I have no issues with it displaying the depth at any speed i go.  I think your dealer is giving you a line of BS.   Reach out the garmin directly and ask the question and give the response back to your dealer.  I'm sure garmin won't not sell a device that doesn't register depths at all speed. 

I just took delivery of a 2275 GCW that I ordered from factory.

I ordered it with the optional Garmin 54dv which has the depthfinder.

The boat initially would lose contact with the bottom when I exceeded 10MPH.

I complained to the dealer and he said this was normal for pontoon boats (BS !!!)  

I had them pull the boat and I inspected the transducer. You should be able to run a board along the keel of the pontoon and the transducer should be almost in contact with the board. Mine was mounted about 2 inches too high. I had the dealer lower the transducer even with the keel of the pontoon and now I don't lose bottom until I exceed 30MPH. I can live with that. 

Try adjusting angle of transducer so it's level when boat is on plane. If it's level to keel line, once you go up on plane, it's now angled and can lose signal. You can also try to drop it down some as dirty "turbulent" water from the toons can do the same thing. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

I've never had an issue with the Garmin Echo 101 at any speed either. Now, if I go over 30 MPH, then something is wrong. That means that someone stole my motor and put a larger one on it. :D   I did just install another finder on my boat, but kept the 101 in tact and operating. If you leave yours in the water, the transducer will collect scum just like your tunes will, so that will most likely affect the sonar signal that has to bounce off of the bottom of the lake.

If you leave yours in the water, the transducer will collect scum just like your tunes will, so that will most likely affect the sonar signal that has to bounce off of the bottom of the lake.

Good thought. I think I pretty much had the problem from the get go, but I'll pay special attention to cleaning it off this weekend. 

My only complaint with my Garmin is the volume on the alarm for the depth finder.

Dealer says no way to turn the volume up it is what it is, even though  you can barely here the beeping, even with no radio on and at slow speeds.       Any suggestions?     I agree, the owners manual given to me is useless in this regard.

My only complaint with my Garmin is the volume on the alarm for the depth finder.

Dealer says no way to turn the volume up it is what it is, even though  you can barely here the beeping, even with no radio on and at slow speeds.       Any suggestions?     I agree, the owners manual given to me is useless in this regard.

Maybe they could change it from an alarm to a shock device that is connected to the lanyard for the kill swith? Just kidding.

Perhaps a battery operated smoke detector might work. When they pick up the alarm pitch they go off. Not sure if it would work or not, but might be worth $30 to find out. If it does they have ones with strobe lights too.

You could laso look for the speaker and direct the sound. It's amazing how much louder you can hear a phone speaker when you direct the sound with your hand.

Good luck!

+1 on the Garmin warning being barely audible. I'm not very impressed with the unit as a whole.

I have yet to take the boat back to the dealer but here is the response I received from Garmin:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I'm happy to assist you with this today. The reason why the depth begins to flash is the transducer is getting too much cavitation, air bubble or turbulence. This all boils down to the installation, are you using a transom mounted transducer? They are speed rated for about 20mph and thru hulls are speed rated for 30mph. I've seen them get readings at higher speeds than that but it all depends on the boat and the installation of the transducer. Please let us know if we can further assist.

With Best Regards,

Customer Care - Marine Team

Garmin International

As such, I'm not expecting any miracles but Seaduced comments give me a glimmer of hope. 

Just make sure the transducer is mounted low enough and that it is facing directly down with no scum build up on the bottom.

Just make sure the transducer is mounted low enough and that it is facing directly down with no scum build up on the bottom.

Is it possible to adjust the transducer while it's under water? My boat stays in the water all season long. 

Yes, mine is adjusted just tight enough to hold while underway, but I can adjust angle with some slight pressure. Also, "guesstimate" what flat is when under way. "Flat" sittng at the dock is different than "flat" while underway due to bowrise.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your boat is never on the trailer or a lift, then you may have to get in the water to get to it.  Either that or have arms a lot longer than mine.  My transducer is mounted on the bottom rear of the port (left) toon on a bracket.

Does anyone know how to make a sound that scares off Alligators?

Seriously, i thought our "issue" at speed was due to fowling of the bottom of the transducer, and this thread confirmed my thinking. Our transducer is mounted on a bracket at the rear of the starboard pontoon, at the level of the bottom surface. We have a Garmin DV54, and at sustained speeds of 25+ mph it starts blinking. I did lean over the side (I do have long arms) and laying on the extended aft deck was able to reach the X-ducer and felt the bottom to be all scummy. I plan to use our deck brush and a mild scrubby to clean it. 

Since we are away from our Benni for almost two months, that will be a job for when I return. 

If your boat is never on the trailer or a lift, then you may have to get in the water to get to it.  Either that or have arms a lot longer than mine.  My transducer is mounted on the bottom rear of the port (left) toon on a bracket.

I'm hoping to dig up a pair of goggles so I can get a better view of the mounting bracket while at the sandbar. I've tried to feel around, but with no success. However, powered with the comments on this thread, I'll put a bit more effort into the project.

Your toons are only 25" diameter on the outside so you shouldn't need a search party to find it! Start at 6 O'clock when looking at the end cap. You'll find treasure!

I'm hoping to dig up a pair of goggles so I can get a better view of the mounting bracket while at the sandbar. I've tried to feel around, but with no success. However, powered with the comments on this thread, I'll put a bit more effort into the project.

Stick a gopro down there ;-)

Back