Gas caddy

keithkz

Reaction score
Anyone use one of these? If so which brand/model? Any issues? I guess the big question for me is how in the world am I gonna lift that thing out of my vehicle once it's full?

Some of those look really nice and convenient. I’ve eyed them with winter snowmobile refueling in mind. However, I always wonder the same thing - how do you load/unload when full? Yikes!

Start doing bench presses, squats, dead lifts and arm curls 6 months in advance…? LOL

Anyone use one of these? If so which brand/model? Any issues? I guess the big question for me is how in the world am I gonna lift that thing out of my vehicle once it's full?
The 5 gallon VP containers or similar the best, easy to handle, easy to store, don't tip over easy, long hose is easy to manipulate, and you get some deluxe nozzles with shut off valves now. A few friends use battery operated pumps.

I love the idea in theory, but as has already been stated, moving something that big around gives me pause. I can handle my six gallon cans but not sure about anything larger (assuming the gas caddy capacity is larger). I do use a battery operated pump, which has eliminated me having to actually hoist each while I gas up. Maybe someone who actually uses one (I know you're out there) will chime in about their experience.

Every fall I usually fill up the tank before we put our boat away. Well I forgot this past year and it bugged the crap out of me. So I bought a 5 gallon container with that special vapor locking quick flow spout and ended up filling it up with E free fuel 4 times to put 20 gallons in to top off a 37 gallon tank. That spout worked surprisingly well having never used one before but I wouldn't want to lug 30 lb. 5 gallon containers of fuel to the dock every time we went out. What's the capacity of that fuel caddy Keith?!?

Ive mentioned it on other posts but a retrofitted 5 gal can is so simple. I fill 6 up at the station, treat the fuel, and store at the lake. When I need a little gas, ill bring 10 gallons down, empty in a minute (each can) with my retrofit, and its done. No reason to wait until its 30 gals low, I put 10 in at the end of the day so she is ready for the next morning. A little arm exercise carrying the cans only makes me that much more irresistible to the women on the lake ;)

But the savings is non deniable and its a lot easier than trying to get a big gas caddy off the truck and to the dock. I do 12 and 16oz curls all at the lake, so a little 5 gal action wont kill me.

I just had a Gee Whiz last week. While I always use 5 gallon cans and I was able to carry them but with minor challenge. For some reason, like venting, and spilling gas when filling I stopped at the click of the nozzle, after filling my 3 cans I noted I bought 12 gallons. However to my amazement they were lighter. Well not that I did not know this would happen but I much prefer to carry a 32 lb gas can than a 40 lb one. So I am just going to get a 4th can.

I just had a Gee Whiz last week. While I always use 5 gallon cans and I was able to carry them but with minor challenge. For some reason, like venting, and spilling gas when filling I stopped at the click of the nozzle, after filling my 3 cans I noted I bought 12 gallons. However to my amazement they were lighter. Well not that I did not know this would happen but I much prefer to carry a 32 lb gas can than a 40 lb one. So I am just going to get a 4th can.
Yeah that’s what I typically do. Then again 4 gallons goes a long way with me but it’s amazing what 1 less gallon feels like (actually you’re carrying 24, gas is only 6 lbs. per gallon, waters about 8.4).

BK mentioned the gas spout so I'm going to rant.

Those spill-proof spouts don't ever seem to work and I actually end up spilling way more fuel all over my hand and ground than the old style. If the idea was to save the planet they need to re-do their calculations.

I'm not one of those get-off-my-lawn types but some of these "great" ideas seem to try and solve a 1% problem while making it worse for the other 99%.

Those spill-proof spouts don't ever seem to work and I actually end up spilling way more fuel all over my hand and ground than the old style. If the idea was to save the planet they need to re-do their calculations.

I'm not one of those get-off-my-lawn types but some of these "great" ideas seem to try and solve a 1% problem while making it worse for the other 99%.
Sooooo my thoughts exactly, and I am a big “green” kind of person in some ways. However, this is certainly a case of the solution being worse than the problem.

I make more messes with my “spill proof spouts” than the old style. Some times I just remove and poor without a spout for that reason depending on what I am actually filling up.

I use 2 hoses that I insert into the can that I have placed above the gas fill, after removing the cap (no nozzle) one vey small and one larger, depends on the size of your can. I blow into the small hose and the gas comes out of the big one into the boat or funnel. There is only about a cup of fuel left that I then pour into the funnel.

I bought one with the trigger, it works great. you put it in place then squeeze the trigger.

nothing to squeeze or pull. Comes with vent plug for extra fast flow.

I bought one with the trigger, it works great. you put it in place then squeeze the trigger.
I have both a push button and locking collar version. Both are spill-prone and between the two I've probably lost several cups of fuel since gas cutting season started.

What isn't spill-prone is a careful hand. I was looking at the EZ pour Mozekian linked - can't wait to rid myself of these things and the smelly gas-soaked rags after every fill up.

I was never a believer in those containers with the special spout until I bought this one. It shockingly actually worked like it was supposed to........

I have both a push button and locking collar version. Both are spill-prone and between the two I've probably lost several cups of fuel since gas cutting season started.

What isn't spill-prone is a careful hand. I was looking at the EZ pour Mozekian linked - can't wait to rid myself of these things and the smelly gas-soaked rags after every fill up.
Why is the trigger one spilling? Can you not get the spout close enough? I haven't used any on my boat yet and am wondering if there will be a problem. with the trigger one on my lawnmower and snowblower I don't spill a drop. No gas comes out until I pull the trigger

The 5 gallon VP containers or similar the best, easy to handle, easy to store, don't tip over easy, long hose is easy to manipulate, and you get some deluxe nozzles with shut off valves now. A few friends use battery operated pumps.
I second that, the VP cans are the way to go. Had the caddy, it's awkward and transfers slowly.

Fun fact, the VP cans actually hold 6 gallons w/out spilling a drop.

I've used this in the 3/4 size hose size to fill up our boats. The only negative is a two person job to assure the hose stay inside the tank. A smaller hose may eliminate the need for a second person. I have the larger one to fill up our fishing boat as well.
The ribbed hoses will hold gas and can drip/leave hands with gas from handling it. This hose air dries as soon as removed from gas tank, leaving no drips on hands or boat. T

Attachments

• Siphon Hose.JPG
    Siphon Hose.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 17
Back