Getting Nervous

This is how my dealer works and what our assumption was so I planned to group warranty issues into one return if I can. Hopefully that can wait until the end of the season when they pick it up. I pay for the pick up and delivery (included in storage fee there), though I bought my own trailer for this and for storage. With that said, as soon as I mentioned a VERY minor issue I had on my engine, he offered to send a Verado certified tech 15 miles to my dock to fix it the next day. I wasn't even asking for it. That's a good dealer IMHO.
There is one thing I forgot to mention . Even though they are not the selling dealer ,my marina is an " Authorized "Mercury dealer and can do any warranty work that may be needed on my motor .

There is one thing I forgot to mention . Even though they are not the selling dealer ,my marina is an " Authorized "Mercury dealer and can do any warranty work that may be needed on my motor .
Most marinas give priority to customers who bought the boat there, but they do welcome any warranty work as it's good money for them. I've had this experience with my local one on the lake when it came to "pinch times" like around holidays they just wouldn't go out of their way for me.

Most marinas give priority to customers who bought the boat there, but they do welcome any warranty work as it's good money for them. I've had this experience with my local one on the lake when it came to "pinch times" like around holidays they just wouldn't go out of their way for me.
That's the industry and it's what they use to sell boats. I went to multiple Marina's and a couple of them used exactly that line. If you're in a bind and need help and you have something you bought somewhere else... 4 to 6 weeks. You buy it here. 1 to 2 days. It is what it is, but it is the truth. Glad my dealer is only an hour away and is willing to travel.

OK! I am nervous.

Take it easy guys. These are new boats with warranties. If there is an issue, it will get resolved!!! That is why we all bought from the best! I haven't heard of anyone not being able to use their boat when it comes in, just some small issued here and there.

Take it easy guys. These are new boats with warranties. If there is an issue, it will get resolved!!! That is why we all bought from the best! I haven't heard of anyone not being able to use their boat when it comes in, just some small issued here and there.
My concern is not getting it resolved ,it is getting it back to the dealer to get resolved .

At least if it a motor issue the marina where it will be docked can handle that .

Last edited by a moderator:
We purchased our boat from a dealer in Minnesota, we live in Kansas. Our closest authorized Bennington dealer is 2 1/2 hours, the next one is in over 4 hrs. But we knew that going in, We chose Bennington partly because of their reputation for quality, and thankfully we have not had any warranty issues.

I guess it all depends on your dealer when it comes time for service work, warranty or not, they have a policy, and that's how they do it. Some car dealers will come get your car, some will give you a loaner, and some won't do either. That is not the manufacturers choice, it's the dealers choice. Same for your boat.

One of the major decisions to be made when you buy a boat is whether or not to buy a trailer. TB explains: It is the boat owner's responsibility to move his own boat from place to place. You can make an up-front investment in a trailer (let's say $3000), or you can divide that same investment over a longer period of time and use the money to pay for a dealer's haul-out service. You can get several year's worth of haul-outs for $3000. Either way, transportation should be part of your boating budget.

Bennington offers the strongest warranty in the industry, bar none. We make the details clearly known and we back what we manufacture for 7 years, materials and labor, no pro-rating, no pass-off to suppliers. Transportation costs are not included, though!

One of the major decisions to be made when you buy a boat is whether or not to buy a trailer. TB explains: It is the boat owner's responsibility to move his own boat from place to place. You can make an up-front investment in a trailer (let's say $3000), or you can divide that same investment over a longer period of time and use the money to pay for a dealer's haul-out service. You can get several year's worth of haul-outs for $3000. Either way, transportation should be part of your boating budget.

Bennington offers the strongest warranty in the industry, bar none. We make the details clearly known and we back what we manufacture for 7 years, materials and labor, no pro-rating, no pass-off to suppliers. Transportation costs are not included, though!
Yup, I figured a minimum of 17 pulls from dealer on the cheapest trailer I could buy, that I would only use for local use ...... If I bought a nice tandem, probably 25 plus pulls ........

I can't see how anyone should think it should be included, there are far too many variables. I live about 5.5 hours away from my dealer, do I think it is his responsibility to come and get my boat if it breaks? Of course not. That's 11 hours of his time, they have a small dealership, him, his Mrs, a mechanic and sometimes his mom. He can't afford to be away from his business for 11 hours and I wouldn't expect him to. He is good enough to drive the 1.5-2 hours one way and meet me, great! That's cuz he's a good guy, he doesn't get paid to. So I appreciate it, if he was strapped for time and couldn't, hey, no problem. Cars are no different. They are perceived different, but it's up to you to get them to the repair shop. My Caddy comes with 4 year bumper to bumper and 4 year roadside assistance. It also has a total of 6 on the power train, but if it breaks down after the 4 years, it's up to me to get it towed there. It's one thing if your 10 minutes away from the dealer, then yes, as a customer service standpoint, he should be willing to pick it up, but where do you draw the line? What about the guy that is an hour away? Or 2? It gets tougher because if you do it for one, you should do it for all. These are just my rambling opinions.

Yup what Derrick said .......

Another thought whether to purchase a trailer or not. I enjoy visiting different lakes as I get tired of seeing the same ol same ol. Just something to think about.

I'm as cheap as anyone on here, and I tried and tried and tried to figure out a way to NOT buy a trailer. I have a trailer. My situation required one.

Each situation is different. For me, once I decided to garage my brand new boat year-round, and because I wanted to bring it home on occasion (to clean or work on), I needed a trailer.

I would love to have a trailer, but even with the GillGetter I only used it twice a year. To drop the boat and pull the boat. My dealer htypically has trailers sitting so he actually recommended waiting till I REALLY need one. That's why I love my dealer. Honesty before an easy sale !!!!

I'll be picking up a trailer before fall. I hate having to rely on others.

I did have a trailer ordered ,until I found out I don't have a vehicle capable of pulling it .

Ahhh, well that makes an obvious difference too. That does leave you in a pickle.

Keep in mind, you could probably haul an "empty" trailer, then rent a u-haul truck to pull boat out/in if need be. I've been debating that option. Still have to deal with storing trailer though ..... just more storage money ...... :wacko:

Or make friends with a guy who has a truck and likes beer, borrow the truck, pay with beer!

I would by a trailer, they cost nothing to register and insure, as far as costing out having the boat transported for repairs and storage, don't forget that the trailer has a resale value and that needs to be part of the equation. I like having a trailer because I am at no ones mercy! I can store where I want, go where I want and bring my boat in for any little thing I need. I bought my boat new in 2010 and it was perfect. I don't recall a single issue at delivery. My guess is that a lot of he missing items are from dealers not properly filling out the build sheet and following up on the per-build sheet from bennington. You will love your boat, don't worry enjoy it and the experience:)

Back