gold and silver purchase

Iraq 69

Reaction score
Anyone buying gold or silver? Where are you going to get it? Do you bury it in the back yard or go the good gun safe route?

Thinking of buying some and wanting some info.

Thanks,

I have bought a fair amount. Try a local coin dealer or jeweler that's deals in gold coins. I prefer to buy American Eagles, pandas, and maple leaf, no k-rands! I buy from 1/10 to 1 ounce sizes. They are super easy to sell usually about $50 per ounce behind spot, less for quantity. Buy them for about $35 over spot.

Coins are great because everyone knows what they are. If you buy ingots of several ounce up to 100 or 1,000 ounce people don't know they are real or not gold all the way through. There are no common size ingots from the different refiners, they can be various sizes and weights. I've heard stories of them sawed in half to check the contents. Coins are easy, right size, weight correct, done deal.

Many of the advertisers on TV the cost is higher especially when you add in shipping and insurance. You also my not want people knowing your address.....I don't.

Assuming you want them for "insurance" as well as investment buy quantity of smaller sizes. If worse case scenario you may trade a 1/10 ounce for a loaf of bread....if all you have is one ounce in the worst of times you won't get change.

I try to buy X amount every few months, this cost averages over time.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Some are saying gold prices are going to crash in 2015...

I have thought about it .

Keep it in a gun safe or a second safe if your gun case is full .

You're coming to the right place for financial advice.

We put all our money into pontoon boats, tow vehicles, recreational vehicles and ATV's.  We know all about appreciating assets--NOT!

In this no interest--all time high stock market period, many of us just don't know where to put our extra money.  And finding trusted professional advice is non-existent for a decent price.

I'd hate to be 25 years old and starting to save long term to fund my future retirement.  Millentials are in trouble--no jobs, no savings, student loans to service.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. I am also thinking of the pre '64 silver coins. As StevL says, people will know what what coins are and you can trade them in the tough times that may be coming. Keep the info coming.

Marc

Investors are risk takers 

Some will say you are buying prematurely ... buying in a downward trend 

Others will say buying the physical gold is not the way to go but buying the gold stocks make more sense

I see gold dropped almost 30.00 today 

I feel a price of 900.00 / ounce is in the near future from its 1259.00 price today 

Due to this I would recommend going into mutual funds which will yield a higher return over time.

Unless you are saving for Armageddon I say the Gold Market is not the place to be TODAY 

gold-silver1.jpg

Just my opinion as a minion 

You have to act on your Gut Feeling

I try to be an optimist 

If the world comes to an end and the markets crash 

The platinum, gold and silver owner (hoarder) will do well

I prefer to invest in lead. If the world falls apart, lead will be my way of acquiring gold, silver, food.... :lol:  Just kidding.

Cheers, Steve

Buying gold and silver is an insurance policy, a better question is why buy term insurance ithe odds are you out live the policy, many of us do however. Many times precious metals can be passed down without creating a tax situation if you get the drift.

If the world goes to he!! Which is much more real today than ever, precious metals could be extremely valuable in many ways. I would never say put everything into precious metals but I do believe it's part of a good financial plan. I have been buying a while, many good years at 400 spot and under so the price today is still a great profit. Silver not so much, I still have a little I bought in 1980 when the Hunt brothers controlled silver to about $46. Never been there since, close but didn't make it. This is why I cost average, buy a little more here and there.

When to buy? That's like asking when should I buy Apple or Exxon/mobile. I have found in my years trying to time something rarely works, being in it for time usually does work.

My 2 cents....

Steve

Hey Steve, I thought you would have ended that statement with

My .00000000156 ouces......

Steve

One other thing. Sucks us young guys have to clean up the mess you older gentlemen left left us....... :p  Enjoy my social security contributions.

I prefer to invest in lead. If the world falls apart, lead will be my way of acquiring gold, silver, food.... :lol:  Just kidding.

Cheers, Steve
Actually, you are not kidding.  Bartering 10 rounds of 22lr would be more valuable than a silver coin.   

One other thing. Sucks us young guys have to clean up the mess you older gentlemen left left us....... :p  Enjoy my social security contributions.
I'm right on the edge.... 59 years old, paid my entire life (since age 15) and don't know if it will be around when I reach 70.

Steve

Keep propping up Social Security. I NEED to buy boat gas in my twilight years!!!

Steve, we are in exactly the same place age and work tenure-wise. It will be there for us. But our kids? I don't see it happening.

SS is MINE ,I  ( and my employers ) paid into it for 42 years . :D

I'd rather have control of that money now and invest as I see fit to ensure it is there for my future. No offense intended but I have a problem supporting those who couln't manage a nickel their whole lives.

I'd rather have control of that money now and invest as I see fit to ensure it is there for my future. No offense intended but I have a problem supporting those who couln't manage a nickel their whole lives.
I didn't vote for "those" .

I sure did complain when I got my very 1st pay check and saw that FICA deduction .

I am glad now 

The reality is you are correct. I am not kidding. How do I use the quote feature?

Cheers, Steve

Click the quote button ( lower right ) before or after your comment 

The reality is you are correct. I am not kidding. How do I use the quote feature?

Cheers, Steve

Back