Got to get up and personal with the new bowrider model at the boat show this week - my observations and photos inside

goldnrod24

Reaction score
There was an R-series bowrider at my boat show and I was able to spend some time looking it over. All in all, it's a very nice boat. The interior (this one in two-tone grey) was very nicely done. I really like it.

I crawled under the bow best I could to see the understructure. It's hard to see where they found the room for the lowered floor, but they did. There's nothing ungainly hanging down. It looks like the giant center toon is "U-shaped," kind of like what JC Pontoons does with theirs.

Looks-wise, it does take some getting used to the low fence in the bow as most of us are used to the tradition-height fencing. The captain certainly has the command view without needed a raised helm seat.

All that said, there are several reasons why I would not seriously consider one. The first is price. Sorry, but over $100K is simply out of my budget. Second, as others have mentioned, lack of a bow entry/exit door is simply a deal breaker for us. Our grandkids love to come aboard via the stern ladder, head straight down the center and out the bow door back into the water. Not possible without hurdling the seat. But, for someone making the leap from a runabout bowrider, this makes the transition easier.

All in all, I think Bennington is to be commended for stretching the envelope of pontoon boat design. PS: Regarding a question posed in another thread, I saw NO evidence of lesser quality than we are all used to experiencing from Bennington.

Bennington bowrider #1.JPGBennington bowrider #2.JPGBennington bowrider #3.JPGBennington bowrider #4.JPG

Having just returned from our boat show here in Syracuse I can agree with each and every point your make. Lack of access to the front deck without climbing over the upholstery would be a real deal killer for me., along with the price.

That said, it was great to visit with the Bennington folks and see a Center Console up close. Now I'm ready for the snow to melt away and spring to show its face.

Man I love it and coming from a bowrider don't think the lack of a front gate would bother me that much. But the price, yes. Still, I love this and the color scheme. I only saw the red one earlier and that wasn't my cup of tea. This is awesome.

My dealer just got one for his showroom . Its getting rigged in these pics
1582452004318.png
1582452032055.png

1582452065009.png
1582452091865.png
1582452114431.png

this boat design makes no since to me, no side gates or bow gate only opening is in the rear, the sides or front are too high to board the boat from the dock. I am sure this boat sits much higher at a boat dock than a normal bow rider which you step down into from a dock. If your boat dock is not longer than the boat you have to be sure the rear of your pontoon is forward enough to board the boat from the rear. Also notice you can not board the boat from the rear if the top is down.

Last edited:
I think most like pontoons first their ease of entry etc. so this will probably appeal to a smaller market segment.

this boat design makes no since to me, no side gates or bow gate only opening is in the rear, the sides or front are too high to board the boat from the dock. I am sure this boat sits much higher at a boat dock than a normal bow rider which you step down into from a dock. If your boat dock is not longer than the boat you have to be sure the rear of your pontoon is forward enough to board the boat from the rear. Also notice you can not board the boat from the rear if the top is down.

Not sure where you are coming up with no side gates??? These photos clearly show a side gate.

C1B98E1F-F6E0-4AE8-AAA2-15CFA55E5ED6.png

Wait til next winter (or two) and find one for $75-80k with 10 hours on it. Let the original owner eat the depreciation! I just traded my 2013 Benny 22 SLX (335 hours) with express center tube option and Yamaha F115 for a 2017 22 SSRCXP with SPS performance package and electric assist steering and well equipped with extended decks, floor ski locker, fill in bow seat, factory fish finder, upgraded upholstery, tow bar, SS ladder, etc, with 29.5 hours on it. It is rated for 200hp but came with Yamaha 150 which is fine by me as it handles flat like a sports car, steers silky smooth, and still goes at least 35 mph. A 2020 ordered just like it is close to $70k! I paid $25k plus trade in value! I don't get it until dealer finishes routine engine service and details it. Couple pontoon dings, couple minor paint scuffs and it saved me a "boat load of money" :rolleyes::cool::D Love the steering feel!!! I will post pics when I get it March 5 or so.

Wait til next winter (or two) and find one for $75-80k with 10 hours on it. Let the original owner eat the depreciation! I just traded my 2013 Benny 22 SLX (335 hours) with express center tube option and Yamaha F115 for a 2017 22 SSRCXP with SPS performance package and electric assist steering and well equipped with extended decks, floor ski locker, fill in bow seat, factory fish finder, upgraded upholstery, tow bar, SS ladder, etc, with 29.5 hours on it. It is rated for 200hp but came with Yamaha 150 which is fine by me as it handles flat like a sports car, steers silky smooth, and still goes at least 35 mph. A 2020 ordered just like it is close to $70k! I paid $25k plus trade in value!

Not 100% sure why I liked this post, considering I've always been the guy eating the depreciation!! Hahaha

Back