GPS

Boney

Reaction score
I am brand new here so please forgive me if this has been covered. Can I use the GPS from my car and use it in the boat? It is a Garmin and I assuming I can plug it into the power port? IfI can do I need to add maps?

Thanks

Dave

I have not done it yet ,and I am planning on using mine also . I have a Nuvi with a slot for card .

They also offer downloadable content on some models .https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-water-maps/c452-c455-p1.html

Yes you can, it just won't be as understanding, as you will be a car in a lake ???? I've done it with my Nuvi, mainly for speed.

You can add maps, DEPENDING ON THE MODEL.......

The marine verions of GPS include depth, water temp and other features not included in the auto version.

i just used my phone maps app on our lake [google maps] it worked ok so i wouldnt get lost but had me on land a couple times!

It will work as in if you wanted to mark your launch point on a big lake or whatever, but the biggest thing I like it for is the depth finder, water temperature and speed, it's fun to see fishy's too! I'm on a smaller lake so actual gps isn't the biggest deal to me, unless the wife drops her engagement ring! Then we have issues!!

Yeah, I have same issue as Derrick, lakes pretty small. Only thing I might use it for, is if I'm trolling to see my past travel path.

Speed not a big issue with 20hp motor !! Lol !!! Water temp and depth is all I use Garmin 100 for, just would like something fancier .... My Benni deserves it !!

Yeah, I have same issue as Derrick, lakes pretty small. Only thing I might use it for, is if I'm trolling to see my past travel path.

Speed not a big issue with 20hp motor !! Lol !!! Water temp and depth is all I use Garmin 100 for, just would like something fancier .... My Benni deserves it !!
Thanks again for all of the comments. I do have the Garmin 100 for fishing, and the lake is around 30 miles long with many fingers but not so wide. (Raystown in South Central PA) I was more interested in mph and general direction. Maybe that is on the Garmin 100, I will find out Sunday during the test drive.

Dave

It's a fishfinder not a GPS. It'll give you depth, water temp, battery voltage and bottom conture, along with things that sorta look like fish. B) If you have a GPS for your car or truck and it's portable, bring it with you. It'll give you speed and direction.

Thanks again for all of the comments. I do have the Garmin 100 for fishing, and the lake is around 30 miles long with many fingers but not so wide. (Raystown in South Central PA) I was more interested in mph and general direction. Maybe that is on the Garmin 100, I will find out Sunday during the test drive.

Dave
Yeah, for "general" use, speed,depth,temp, fish location, the 100 does the job, but that's about it.

No frills...... I use my iphone to GPS if need be, but eventually will step up to one of the others that some have used here on the forum.

Back