Graphite Simtex - too hot in the sun?

drjbeyer

Reaction score
We have this color picked out because it looks great, but I got to thinking it might get hotter than something lighter like silver.

Does anyone who has the graphite wish they would have picked something lighter?

Thanks.

Attachments

• BA417DDD-2C4D-412E-9377-0F54B54ABFB6.jpeg
    BA417DDD-2C4D-412E-9377-0F54B54ABFB6.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 69
Can’t answer to that, but my ”lighter“ color can get pretty hot. I doubt you’ll get that large of a difference in temp to be worried about doing lighter. If I had the ability, I’d change my color to that color! Looks so much richer!

I have this color in my new QX Sport and it’s HOT! Hot enough to burn bare skin! I was under the impression that Simtex was supposed to be cooler...I have yet to see it.

I would definitely go for a lighter color!

Good Luck!

Dan

I think it is cooler, not by much but definitely not as hot as my vinyl. It’s “almost” unbearable on a super sun day, but doesn’t melt my skin like the vinyl would.

I have the Arctic Ice White ,no issues at all. Even when we were in the mid to high 90's 1st 2 weeks of July . The flooring,that is a different story

We have tan colored Simtex. We went with the light tan hoping it would be better in July/Aug sunshine. In directly sunlight it gets extremely hot. It is manageable, but it can be bad. I would imagine darker colored seating would be unbearable. I would have liked to go lighter, maybe a white like Jack, but we didn’t due to how it might not compliment our exterior color choices, and fear of spots and staining.

It does show the spider droppings ,but they clean right up with water and a micro fiber cloth .Im very impressed with it vs the the vinyl .

Advice I got from the dealer when ordering a boat was to just pick the color you like and not worry about it because they all get hot in the sun. Yes , some colors a bit more than others , but not enough to justify choosing one over another based solely on that.

I got the same advice the the-little-B above got. I have the platinum color. Gets hot in direct sunlight, but is easy to clean, does not 'stick' to you, and feels much nicer against your body (back, back of arms, back of legs, etc) than traditional vinyl. Well worth the few moments of 'hot'.

I just recieved my pontoon and I did switch from the graphite color to the silver. Luckily I was out in a boat with the graphite color and it got way too hot, seriously too hot. I am so glad I had time to change by build to the lighter silver color. After this weekend with temps in upper 80's I can tell you without a doubt the lighter is much cooler. Yes, it gets hot but not so hot where it was too hot to sit on like the graphite was, you could still sit on it with bare skin without it hurting, unlinke how the graphite was. I liked the look of the darker also but I am very happy with the look of the silver too, it is much more "user friendly" in the hot sun. That is my real world experience.

Advice I got from the dealer when ordering a boat was to just pick the color you like and not worry about it because they all get hot in the sun. Yes , some colors a bit more than others , but not enough to justify choosing one over another based solely on that.
No truer words were ever spoken.

I have the light grey and it still gets pretty toasty in direct sun. I love the dark color, but would be concerned about it getting even hotter still. Very happy with the color we chose.

I don't care what someone trying to sell you a boat tells you, darker colors absolutely get hotter than lighter colors. Here's why -- From the Materials Research Laboratory at USC-Berkley:

Why do black objects absorb more heat (light) than lighter colored objects?

Why do black objects absorb more heat (light) than lighter colored objects? What do wavelengths have to do with it?
Question Date: 2013-03-18
Answer 1:

Heat and light are both different types of energy. Light energy can be converted into heat energy. A black object absorbs all wavelengths of light and converts them into heat, so the object gets warm. A white object reflects all wavelengths of light, so the light is not converted into heat and the temperature of the object does not increase noticeably.
Different wavelengths (colors) of light have different amounts of energy. Violet light has more energy than red light. If we compare an object that absorbs violet light with an object that absorbs the same number of photons (particles of light) of red light, then the object that absorbs violet light will absorb more heat than the object that absorbs red light.
The amount of heat absorbed is also affected by how light or dark an object is. A dark object of a given color will absorb more photons than a light object of the same color, so it will absorb more heat and get warmer.

The question becomes "how much hotter are darker seat colors than lighter seat colors and how much will it affect the enjoyment of using my boat?"
I have a hand held infrared thermometer. We're in a rainy spell for the next few days, but the next sunny day, I will "shoot" different parts of my boat seats to document the differences in temperature between the off-white and colored portions.

Been thinking about this and realize I neglected to tell you I don't have Simtex. I have traditional vinyl on my 2012 Benny. So my little experiment will not be as valuable to this discussion as someone who does have it. I'm still going to do it. Anyone out there with Simtex that has a hand held infrared thermometer that will also report results?

I have one ,but its still packed away ( somewhere ) from when we moved .I'll open a few boxes today
Some help you'll be, as I'm guessing you already have snow on the ground. :p

I have 2019 DRIFTWOOD upholstry which is darker than SILVER but lighter than GRAPHITE. Bennington really needs to bring back their best color of SANDSTONE GRAY which is much nicer than the 2020 offerings

With all due respect the 2021 silver is stunning in the sun it has a slight sparkle hard to appreciate until you see in person, it's not easy to see in the showroom but in the sun it is a beautiful color. Not saying that Sandstone gray is not a nice color.

I have the sandstone on my 2019 sxp fast back and have had no complaints. it was 94-95 degrees for most days last week.

Back