H2O and octane…

Steelbreeze

Reaction score
Ok so had issues this week on boat with 23 hours on her. Anyone ever have experience where water got in gas that the source was NOT the gas station? Long story but trying to diagnose root cause here…. This what I pulled from gas in motor and fuel water separator filter. About a quart of water out of 2 quarts of liquid

Attachments

• E80CA8CC-8434-43C3-86F1-57AA8C5BEB7E.jpeg
    E80CA8CC-8434-43C3-86F1-57AA8C5BEB7E.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 44
Dang. Never had an issue with this

Wow! Is there a leak in a fuel line or the tank itself?!?

Wow! That’s not an issue I’ve seen on here before. That’s a lot of water for so little liquid. Seems like there should be a significant problem somewhere in the lines or tank To address. Weird. Given the problems that water could’ cause, I’d for sure take it in for likely warranty diagnosis and repair.

Check your tanks vent line. Bennington did or still does (mine’s a 2018) run the vent to atmosphere through the floor. Mine was positioned in a spot above a cross member and just so happened to force water up to the vent line while underway. Plug the vent and you have a vacuum drawing water right to the tank in that situation. Worth checking out.

If that is your problem then get a bunch of free stuff from them plus reimbursement for any expenses you incurred from the problem. I got a ski pylon out of them for being the quality control department among other things.

Not that I can discern as I don’t see any visible slick when it’s docked
Check your tanks vent line. Bennington did or still does (mine’s a 2018) run the vent to atmosphere through the floor. Mine was positioned in a spot above a cross member and just so happened to force water up to the vent line while underway. Plug the vent and you have a vacuum drawing water right to the tank in that situation. Worth checking out.

If that is your problem then get a bunch of free stuff from them plus reimbursement for any expenses you incurred from the problem. I got a ski pylon out of them for being the quality control department among other things.
well that’s what I am concerned about is that it’s something that will continue to occur since it doesn’t appear to be from the gas it self but water from lake operation. I feel like that amount is when I was down to 7 gallons before refill would have manifested itself somehow

In my opinion the most likely place to get that much water in is the top of the fuel tank. That is where the sending unit, fuel pick up, vent line all enter the tank. Yes they are gasketed but wouldnt take much of a defect or deformation of the tank when manufactured for a bad seal to be made when the assembler bolted the components to the top of tank. My old pontoon got that much water in the tank whenever it rained or under power as water would sit on top of the tank, because of gravity and the sun heating up the plastic tank the top of the tank just sags naturally creating a valley for water to sit constantly around the gasketed fittings. Any breach of the seal around the fasteners /fittings and you have a constant path of water into the tank. I had to goop all the fittings with a good quality sealant to stop the water getting in. Then I installed a large water separator filter on the fuel line to the engine.
Good luck

Have a friend with 2016 (I believe) that had issues similar to what "The Little B" described.
His is a 20' SXP with full length center tube.
I think it's cured now, but cannot recall the exact issue.

Ok so had issues this week on boat with 23 hours on her. Anyone ever have experience where water got in gas that the source was NOT the gas station? Long story but trying to diagnose root cause here…. This what I pulled from gas in motor and fuel water separator filter. About a quart of water out of 2 quarts of liquid
Margarita Mix?

It’s crossed my mind but that doesn’t necessarily tie with the fact it ran for a couple days. I’m going to sample or drain tank and see what I get as separating filter filled up again with 90 percent water after about an hours use

Have a friend with 2016 (I believe) that had issues similar to what "The Little B" described.
His is a 20' SXP with full length center tube.
I think it's cured now, but cannot recall the exact issue.
I am kind of leaning that way, now that its back on the trailer I can look around more and suck all the gas out as well. Although considering i have had it for less than 40 days i am wondering if it goes back to dealer to make them "figure it out" Not overly thrilled with what i have gotten so far (also had bolts on center bunk of trailer come off and had to replace...)

I am kind of leaning that way, now that its back on the trailer I can look around more and suck all the gas out as well. Although considering i have had it for less than 40 days i am wondering if it goes back to dealer to make them "figure it out" Not overly thrilled with what i have gotten so far (also had bolts on center bunk of trailer come off and had to replace...)
I understand what you're saying but unless you have great faith in your dealer, I'd personally take a crack at it yourself. Who knows how long it'll sit at the dealer and whether they'll be able to truly figure it out. If you really have a dealer you can trust, by all means, but if you're not sure...

In any event, good luck and happy boating!

My 2018 23RSB fuel tank will shrink as I draw fuel out. More than likelynyou are getting water into the fuel tank compartment and it is sucking it in. My tank shrinks so much that the fuel level sender float sticks showing a full tank. Try venting your gas cap every couple of hours

My 2018 23RSB fuel tank will shrink as I draw fuel out. More than likelynyou are getting water into the fuel tank compartment and it is sucking it in. My tank shrinks so much that the fuel level sender float sticks showing a full tank. Try venting your gas cap every couple of hours
This is not normal.
Should be venting naturally.

Id drain the tank , replace the water separator filter if you have one , take your charcoal vapor canister out if you have one , and temporarily run with a short vent line hose to see what you get.

Dealer has it back. Center bilge doesn’t seem to work so I suspect that’s my source maybe? Either way not a great first experience with owning a Bennington pontoon

Attachments

• D713C130-F38A-4931-9A96-154B96DEE761.jpeg
    D713C130-F38A-4931-9A96-154B96DEE761.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 43
My 2020 22SSX with 150HP Yamaha is experiencing water in the separator alarm for the second time in six weeks. The first time we had the fuel filter and separator replaced. Now this time the carbon filter capture for venting is filled with water too. Is anyone experiencing this same issue? We used the boat five times since the first incident and now the same issue.

Back