Height of bimini indicator ?

DanOnTheRiver

Reaction score
There are two low bridges that are close to where I live, on the Hillsborough River. I'm trying to come up with a way to mount, somewhere on the front of my 18' boat, a flexible bicycle type whip that could have a small pendant or flag. This would tell me, as I approached it slowly that the water was too high and I need to lower my bimini. Any suggestions? I'd prefer to not drill any holes, but might, if there is no other way. I could always station someone up front to watch, but a mounted flexible pole would be my preference.

Put a green laser on top of Bimini. If it hits bridge no go, if no hit, you’re good to go. You could attach with small magnets, then put on and take off as needed. (Green shows in the day). Thinking outside the box.

Our lake level fluctuates so a front pole wouldn’t work.

Put a green laser on top of Bimini. If it hits bridge no go, if no hit, you’re good to go. You could attach with small magnets, then put on and take off as needed. (Green shows in the day). Thinking outside the box.
LOVE that idea. But you would have to figure a way to keep it level. One person moving from the front of the boat to the rear would change the angle.

look up self leveling laser or some gimbal mount. If you used a gun laser it can have a on/off switch, just would need a longer wire. I just looked some up. $45 for a green leveling one. I would go that route. Mount to underside of Bimini and you would have a couple of inches to spare, always good to have a little wiggle room.

Last edited:
You can tell if your Bimini is not going to make it or not. If in doubt take it down. Believe me we have a double Bimini and it better be a damn good reason to unzip them, take them both down, put them in their boots, and put them both in radar position. We don't even go to our fav gas station anymore at the Bennington dealership because we would have to go under a low railroad trestle bridge to get there .......Also keep in mind your anchor light atop the Bimini.........

I actually take my extending hook pole and open it to match bimini plus a little extra. My wife stands at bow as we slowly pass under. If pole hits we stop and drop the bimini. Only takes seconds to extend/collapse the pole.

Sorry to be a kill joy .
You might want to check with the authorities for the use of a laser . Pointing a laser horizontally up high or not is still going to hit oncoming traffic before it hits the bridge . Green is for starboard navigation .

Low Tech option: a small PVC pipe tie-strapped to outside railing. Slip bike flag / whip in - done.
I just ordered a green laser to try, but mounting it to the bimini and keeping it level, might be a challenge. I really do like your idea with the PVC and can see how easy it will be to make the mount, without any damage to my boat. This might be the best working solution. Thanks !!

I actually take my extending hook pole and open it to match bimini plus a little extra. My wife stands at bow as we slowly pass under. If pole hits we stop and drop the bimini. Only takes seconds to extend/collapse the pole.
^ I think this is the easiest and practical solution. And it doesn't cost you a dime if you already have the boat hook. Don't have one you say? Well you should.

I like this idea! Could I ask what you would think would work? I am assuming that it would need to be custom made. Include a buzzer. Trees are an issue where I am.

LOVE that idea. But you would have to figure a way to keep it level. One person moving from the front of the boat to the rear would change the angle.
Installing it under the Bimini would be easier. The installation should include a margin of error.

I use shore indicators to help me - for low-water situations but would work in reverse. If there is riprap on the bank or a laydown then a particular rock or branch could indicate go-no go. Maybe something on the pilings of the bridge - a crack or exposed footing. If a sandy or mud shore, throw a big rock at the water level needed and use that as your personal indicator.

Last idea, many bodies of water have gage height information on the USGS site - find your area and figure out the max water level for your boat, then save a link to the page and check when you head out.

64274E9F-94E0-4EB4-AC8E-83DAEA7B6CEE.jpeg

I use shore indicators to help me - for low-water situations but would work in reverse. If there is riprap on the bank or a laydown then a particular rock or branch could indicate go-no go. Maybe something on the pilings of the bridge - a crack or exposed footing. If a sandy or mud shore, throw a big rock at the water level needed and use that as your personal indicator.

Last idea, many bodies of water have gage height information on the USGS site - find your area and figure out the max water level for your boat, then save a link to the page and check when you head out.

View attachment 31406
Spoken like a real Sailor! But now I have a Pontoon boat.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The simple one seemed to be the best and I quickly roughed it out. I have a fiberglass 6' bicycle whip flag to insert into the PVC pole and all should be good to go. With a stopper in the PVC, the tip of the flag is ~ 2" above the top of the bimini. It will be easy to insert or remove the flag as needed. IMG_20211030_081253.jpgIMG_20211030_081216.jpg

You have to love zipties!

Back