Help us decide !!!!! Need decision by Monday morning ....... NEED YOUR VOTE !!!

Which would you take?

• Inside

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Outside

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
So we need to pick a dock and have limited choices. One is end outside, one is inside ....... where would you dock ?

My thought is outside, no neighbor to hit your boat, and trust me NO ONE seems to follow the tie up instructions for their boats !!!

I have seen many damaged toons due to lack of proper tie off .... front to rear, side to side .........

I'm leaning toward end outside ........ Give me your thoughts !!!

This is a pic of the exact dock spaces.

I'm getting fancy with a Poll question !!!! :D

Smitty

whereohwhere.png

Screenshot2013-03-31at90428AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would choose the outside spot. At our marina I think the other boaters are a greater potential hazard than the weather. I also found it difficult to park in an inside spot like the one you indicated when there was any sort of breeze. Having to go past my spot make a sharp turn and avoiding the boat next to us while moving at slow speeds took a great deal of practice (and often a second set of hands). If you are ever taking the boat out by yourself you will appreciate the simplicity of the outside spot.

I wouldn't want to be on the outside. Been there, done that, with a sport boat long ago.

- Wakes outside the docks definitely hit your boat first. It's amazing how many boaters don't know what "no wake zone" means. The inner docks and boats break them up a little bit.

- People tend to use the outside ones more as a "guest dock" even though it's not theirs to use. It's just more convenient than threading it through the finger. There was nothing more annoying than coming back from a long day on the water, someone was in my slip, and there is no place else to park.

- I came back one time and found 2 other boats "rafted up" against mine on the outside dock. Not a good scene, but fortunately all had big bumpers in place.

I wouldn't want to be on the outside. Been there, done that, with a sport boat long ago.

- Wakes outside the docks definitely hit your boat first. It's amazing how many boaters don't know what "no wake zone" means. The inner docks and boats break them up a little bit.

- People tend to use the outside ones more as a "guest dock" even though it's not theirs to use. It's just more convenient than threading it through the finger. There was nothing more annoying than coming back from a long day on the water, someone was in my slip, and there is no place else to park.

- I came back one time and found 2 other boats "rafted up" against mine on the outside dock. Not a good scene, but fortunately all had big bumpers in place.
Yeah, wakes were my concern, but it's a 20HP restricted lake, so they are not "too bad" ..... and it is kind of back in the corner more (added pic).

I'm also going to invest in a couple bigger bumpers, AND EXTRA LINES.

I'm sure there will always be some idiots, but we can't control that other than calling the F&G or Park Warden and have them come remove a boat if someone is parked illegally.

I've seen "untagged" boats parked on our smaller dock in the past, called to check, and found out they had a approved "transient" space.

I'm very anal about that stuff, as the transient spaces go for $9/day and that's money to maintain our docks/park.

Also hopefully if someone pulls up and sees my dock lines, they have enough common sense to move on .... key word, "enough" .......

Toms comments are absolutely valid, but if your inside space is the only one available someone can grab that one too. Happened to my daughter at college just last week and she had to park outside. Car got sideswiped on the street. First scrape on my '05 5 series, grrr. Not her fault. I would probably go with the outside even though "rafting" could occur. Did Link take these pics ? I think he has his own satellite. Gerry

Toms comments are absolutely valid, but if your inside space is the only one available someone can grab that one too. Happened to my daughter at college just last week and she had to park outside. Car got sideswiped on the street. First scrape on my '05 5 series, grrr. Not her fault. I would probably go with the outside even though "rafting" could occur. Did Link take these pics ? I think he has his own satellite. Gerry
Gotta love Google maps ..... Then again maybe he owns them ...????

The 20 hp. rule helps. On our lake people think 5 mph is good. 5 mph does not necessarily mean "no wake". Some big cruisers going 5 mph throw no wake and others will through a 3 foot swell. Steve

It is obvious that it would be easier to dock and less chance of your neighbor bumping you on the outside but I would still try to talk to one of the boat owners that is currently on the outside and ask them for the problems associated with the outside. Plus you must consider the fact that If the outside was a problem the inside spaces would not be available because I would think the outside boats would be on the waiting list to grab any open spot before they went to open market.

It is obvious that it would be easier to dock and less chance of your neighbor bumping you on the outside but I would still try to talk to one of the boat owners that is currently on the outside and ask them for the problems associated with the outside. Plus you must consider the fact that If the outside was a problem the inside spaces would not be available because I would think the outside boats would be on the waiting list to grab any open spot before they went to open market.
Actually, right now there is only one outside slip open, and approx 10 interior slips, and the waiting list was at least 60, and I was 31, and they only had 50 available.

I know from being on the lake that wake waves are the worst thing other than the birds, but the birds tend to stay on the docks at upper end, and that's also where the worst wakes are.

It's a hard decision as they both have pros n cons and I'll be second guessing myself forever. I will also say, I've seen interior boats bouncing around just as bad from the waves, but now you have a neighbor to worry about also. Someone else from our lake posted up pics on here what happens when neighbors dock line broke during storm. Wasn't pretty. In the slip I worry about my toon AND the neighbor. Outside I just worry about mine.

I voted outside, mainly based on the fact of the location of the dock you would be on. By that I mean if you look at the overhead shot farthest away, I believe that particular outside spot would be sheltered slightly more based on the positioning of the other dock that sticks out farther in the channel which should help break some of the waves coming from the main body where wind will play a bigger roll in wave height. All this being said, I have never owned a slip or anything, so all I know, is nothing!! Haha but I believe since there is no clear path for a wave some of its force would be broken by the other docks / obstacles.

It's a coin flip, both have pros and cons. You are going to have to go with your gut. I personaly would be looking for a covered dock before I used this dock.

The FORUM has spoken ...... we now have the OUTSIDE dock ..... thanks to everyone for your input .... :)

COME ON WARM WEATHER !!!!!

what did you decide inside or out? Tough Choice think I would have went with the outside. I think you are screwed either way either bouncing around from wakes or bumper boats on the inside if your neighbor doesnt know how to park. We had the same issue but where able to pay extra and get a single birth for extra money. I hope it works out for you keep us posted on how it works for you GOOD LUCK

what did you decide inside or out? Tough Choice think I would have went with the outside. I think you are screwed either way either bouncing around from wakes or bumper boats on the inside if your neighbor doesnt know how to park. We had the same issue but where able to pay extra and get a single birth for extra money. I hope it works out for you keep us posted on how it works for you GOOD LUCK
We took the OUTSIDE....... hard decision, but at the end of the day, I can control how I tie up my baby, but not control my neighbor.

Worst case scenario, we have insurance ........ don't want to have to use it, but have it none the less.

I can't control STUPID if you know what I mean.

I will have lines on side going front to rear, and to BOTH front and rear inner/outer cleats from the sides. so hopefully it goes NOWHERE !!! ;)

$50 in extra docklines is cheap insurance. :)

Oh yeah, extra bumpers on the dock side too .......

lines.JPG

Back