Help with 2016 Bennington 2275GCW- G Series

LOUNGER

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I was looking at an 22SCWXP and now I think I'm upping myself. What do you think of this boat with its options? Do you see anything you wouldn't have on this build?

2016 Bennington 2275GCW- G Series

Panel Color: Regatta Blue

Accent Panel Color: Metallic White

Motor: Yamaha F150XB Four Stroke

Boat Cover & Bimini Top Color: Regatta Blue

STANDARD FEATURES

INTERIOR

• 2 Chaise Lounges
  • 2 Stainless Steel Rimmed Portable Cupholders
  • 25 Gallon Fuel Tank, 23.2 Gallon Usable Capacity
  • G Series Reclining Captain’s Chair
  • Privacy Enclosure (Starboard Stern Lounge)
  • Stainless Steel Rimmed Cupholders
  • Espresso Teak Trapezoid Table
  • 27 Quart Cooler Seat Insert
  • Soft Touch Upholstery
  • (NEW) Two-Tone Vinyl Furniture
  • Marideck Vinyl Aft Flooring
  • 2 Stern Facing Super Lounges with Enhanced Headrests & Grab Handles
  • Duraframe Seat Bases
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • High Performance Carpet
  • Powder Coated Seat Hinges
  • Stainless Steel and Woodgrain Accents Throughout

EXTERIOR

• .250″ Thick Bow & Stern Cross Channels
  • 16″ On-Center Midship Cross Members
  • 6″ Stainless Steel Cleats
  • Crystal Cap Logos
  • (NEW) Docking Lights in ABS Light Housings
  • Underdeck Spray Deflectors
  • Extended Aft Deck with Curved Aluminum Ladder and Boarding Handles
  • 32″ Stern Gate
  • Mooring Cover Quick Clips
  • Full Height Panels
  • Quick Release 10′ Bimini Top with Surlast Embroidered Boot, 1.25″ Frame & Trailering Struts
  • Surlast Mooring Cover
  • 25″ Pontoons
  • Full Length Extruded Anodized Skirting
  • Anodized Raised Rails
  • Flush Bow Deck
  • Large Radius Bow Rails with 24″ Gate
  • Stainless Steel Cleats and Corner Castings
  • Stainless Steel Deck Bolts
  • Streamline Rail System

CONSOLE FEATURES

• 12 Volt Receptacle
  • Custom Sterling Gauge Package: Fuel, Tachometer & Trim
  • Helm Courtesy Light
  • Hour Meter
  • Illuminated Rocker Switches with Dash Mounted Breakers
  • Locking Side Access Door
  • Low Profile Windshield
  • One Piece Fiberglass Console
  • Sealed Deutsch Connectors
  • Espresso Teak Dash Accents
  • Custom Wheel with Espresso Teak Accents and Etched Center Cap
  • All in One Kicker Speaker System

UPGRADED FEATURES

• Illuminated Kicker Speaker
  • Bamboo Oat Full Flooring
  • Elliptical Sport Package-ESP
  • Battery- On/Off Switch
  • Battery- Power Distribution Panel
  • Bimini Blue Ice LED Lighting
  • Fish/Depth Graph-Echo 100 Garmin
  • Adjustable Height Pedestal Helm Seat
  • Heavy Duty Rub Rail
  • Docking Lights in LED Stainless Housings
  • Pop Up Cleats
  • 46″ Removable Ski Pylon

All input is very much appreciated!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a nice build. I'm fond of elevated helms but I know you can't do that with the seat. Keep in mind, the rear panels are exposed at the loungers unless you add "stern lounge upgrade" which adds seatback/cup holders to loungers. Also if you want speedometer? It's not standard.

I'd add:

SS ladder. Much cleaner look. Fairly cheap. 

Furniture upgrade? 

Stern lounge upgrade. 

IMG-2688.JPG

No stern lounge upgrade

5798402_0_311219691600_9.jpg

Good Info SemperFi, the pixs really helped to define the stern lounge upgrade

I have the 22 GSR with the ESP Tubes.

Please re-think the 150HP as with all the investigation that I did, I found out that the 150 is the minimal  HP for that boat and you may not be happy with the performance.

I know that with 2 or 3 people, it will not perform well.

I would also get the in-floor storage.

Thanks for all the input as it helps tremendously with a novice like me. What size motor would you suggest mbhenry? SemperFi, if the boat is already built, can the stern lounge upgrade be added relatively easy?

I'm not sure about that, but I'm sure it would probably be pretty costly. I mainly ordered it so if someone wants to sit with their back to the rail, it's padded. Plus I was concerned about denting the panel with a foot.

With 2-25" tubes 150 hp is the "MAX" you can have.

With elliptical you can go to a 200 hp capacity, but it forces addition of the Megapan with 37 gallon tank ($700 list), plus around another $5000 list for motor to 200hp.

I think there's many on here happy with 150 hp (unless you want 60 mph)

See these perf. bulletin from Yamaha with twin "elliptical" 150.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/BNT_2275GCW_F150LA_2014-10-28_PNT.pdf

vs. 200  (4 mph gain)

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/BNT_2275GCW_F200LA_2014-10-29_PNT.pdf

Lounger, sounds like a nice vessel. I take it this is on a dealer lot. A 150HP would probably be fine as our dealer really pushed a 200HP for our GCW 2575. In the end, I went for the 250 and don't regret it. Again, it's all about how you will use your boat. The stern lounger upgrade is practical and nice to have.

Lounger, if I read it right you want the ESP performance tube package!

Not the SPS tube package.

With the SPS, the 150 would be a great package and you would love it.

But, if you are getting the ESP package with the 32" center elliptical tube, There is a lot of drag and you won't be happy with the 150.

As others have stated, get as big as you can afford!

We got the 250 and are happy we did!

We can have our family (8) on board and ski and tube without any effort.

If your dealer has any for a trial run, I would test drive them.

Looks like a pretty decent build for something on the lot. I'd be a little Leary on the 150 as the ESP is slightly heavier than the SPS package. If that boat fits within your budget it's definitely an up grade from the S series you were building. Nothing against the S series as that's what I have! That hull allows for up to a 250hp motor, if you can afford that boat and are good with the options and an upgrade to the 250 I'm pretty confident you'll have no regrets!! I should of bumped to a G series w/ESP and a 250, but was conservative as this was my first pontoon and satisfying my wife's desires. Should of bumped up........its gonna cost me a lot more when I order the new! It's only a matter of time!

Bear in mind, you "should" have hydraulic assist steering which is not installed with a 150. If you add that to the present plus a bump to a 250, you are gonna have another chunk of $$$ (14K list on build a boat so maybe 10K at dealer?). 

The ESP is around 700 lbs. so unless you're looking for a speed demon or a ski boat, I'd save my money. If your intentions are simply gently cruising around or fishing, I'd buy it as it is (work them for p/s)

As stated above, push them for a test drive. That will give you a good feel on steering (add on needed?) and power. 

Thanks SEMPERFI, great advice. I have a couple of more options I'm thinking about and I'll let you know Tuesday when the dealership opens up again. I can't get that "stern lounge upgrade" out of my mind!

Sorry ......  ;)

I just went through a similar decision making proces. I ended up with a 22 SSRXP (stern radius premium) with a Yamaha 150, and although it hasn't been built yet, here are some observations from my research.

There seem to be two big differences between an S and a G, at least according to the website and brochure. One is there are more supports on the G, 16" on center vs 24" on the S. Second, it looks like the 22 G is actually a foot longer (both pontoon and overall length) than the 22 S. Perhaps someone who has actually measured both can weigh in, but that's what the brochure says. Im sure there are better vinyls and finishes on the G too, but that wasn't important to me.

As for the first item, presumably it is stronger and more rigid, but since I haven't compared the two I don't know how noticeable a benefit that is. The length is obviously a benefit if you want a longer boat. These two changes also contribute to a 500 pound increase in weight for G over the S with SPS pontoons. This may be why the Yamaha performance bulletins show a top speed of the 22 GSR of 37.3 vs 40.3 for the SCWX.  Top speed may be important to some people, but to me what's more important is cruising speed. On both of those tests, the "optimal" cruising rpm is 3,000 and at that rpm the GSR is going 15.4 mph vs. 17.1 mph for the S. Similarly at 3,500 rpm (which I think is the sweet spot for a Yamaha 150), the G is going 19.8 mph vs 21.4 mph for the S. You have to decide what is right for you.

Semper, you mention that hydraulic steering does not come with a 150, and while I think that is true if you get the elliptical, I believe that it is part of the option of the SPS. 

Other options that I spent way too much time deciding on were: helm chair with bolster, extended aft deck, toe kick lighting, sandstone docking lights, Garmin fish finder, shark hide, a ski tow bar (the dealer recommended it over the pylon) and regatta blue with champagne accent.

Good luck.

The S does have 24" spacing but it is covered with a lifetime warranty just like the upper series so I'm good with it. Plus I've had mine banking hard into turns and have never felt any twisting etc. And hydraulic does come with the sps setup, or at least it did when I ordered my 2014.

Yes, but the steering can (and was) dealer waived on his build.

Truthfully, in my scenario, I only went with the G as the S did not offer a couple options that could not (or not without excessive $$$$) be added to the S build putting me in the price range of the G anyhow. As you mentioned, I also ended up with an extra 3 feet on the G (vs. my 22 RLi) and to me, space is important.  Part is front extends to tips of toon now, and the extended aft deck. The S is no slacker, and it helps get people that are possibly on a limited budget, to still get a high quality toon. I mean you can get a 816 now!  

Since we are once again headed back in this direction, let me be perfectly clear. There is a huge difference  between hydraulic steering and power assisted steering. Yes, hydraulic steering is standard on the SPS hull, BUT IT DOES NOT REDUCE STEERING EFFORT. Sorry to shout, but many, including dealers/salespeople, don't understand the difference. The hydraulic steering actually keeps the boat centered while underway better than cable steering. But.....

If you are looking for reduced steering effort, you will need to add SeaStar power assisted steering in addition to the standard hydraulic steering. This is an extra cost option +/-$2800 depending on series.

Most dealers/salespeople will attempt to dissuade you from the power assist option because it adds cost to the boat and screws up comparative shopping. But ask the guys who have it (even on a 21 SLXP - the guy fitting out my boat at the factory even made fun of me), it makes all the difference in the world. Perform a search here using key words "power steering" if you want more opinions and experiences.

Back