Help with Toon maintenance

Angeljo

Reaction score
I need some help here. We used Toonbrite cleaner of our toons last year and it left black burn marks. What is the best way to get them out?

Welcome to the forum Angeljo! Do you have pics? We have always had it done professionally at our marina. Just trying to picture the "burn" marks......You might have to have them redone. The acid will make everything uniform again......

Thank you so much! I will have pictures tomorrow when we pull it out of storage.

Yikes! That would be a very disappointing outcome.

I think you’d either need them acid washed. Not sure if its something that could get buffed out, but perhaps that would be something to try first. A friend in these forums had his boat damaged by overspray with an acid wash job, so that has always made me nervous since their mishap at a dealership. If you have to go that route, make sure you are very dialed in with who is doing it about them being careful, and taking precautions, to not cause any other damage.

Looks like there was some heavy algae growth on there at one time

I’m more worried about the black burn marks. We are taking the algae off.

You can always try some bar keepers friend. I found an article a while ago that it can be used to clean the toons

All right Angeljo.....Couple options......You can use Toonbrite again and get the toons as clean as you can. It will get rid of those "burn" spots. The problem is you don't have full access to the entire toon if it sits on the trailer. I never did want to use any acid wash when it sits on trailer. Never know if it will ruin the finish on it whether it's painted or galvanized. I'll tell you what we used to do at our old marina in Virginia. We used to drive our trailer under this lift and it picked up our boat by the deck so they had full access under all 3 toons. They taped up all areas that they didn't want the acid wash to hit and did all 3 toons and thoroughly rinsed them all. They kept it on the lift until I was able to Sharkhide all toons. Do you know of anywhere around you that can lift your boat off your trailer and acid wash it?!?

I’ve been using Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser for years. Found it works better than the powder version. A lot less waste on a windy day. We use the blue Scotch-Brite non scratch sponges to apply and work in the soft cleanser. I hit the toons with the power washer to thoroughly rinse everything off in the end.

All right Angeljo.....Couple options......You can use Toonbrite again and get the toons as clean as you can. It will get rid of those "burn" spots. The problem is you don't have full access to the entire toon if it sits on the trailer. I never did want to use any acid wash when it sits on trailer. Never know if it will ruin the finish on it whether it's painted or galvanized. I'll tell you what we used to do at our old marina in Virginia. We used to drive our trailer under this lift and it picked up our boat by the deck so they had full access under all 3 toons. They taped up all areas that they didn't want the acid wash to hit and did all 3 toons and thoroughly rinsed them all. They kept it on the lift until I was able to Sharkhide all toons. Do you know of anywhere around you that can lift your boat off your trailer and acid wash it?!?

We just discovered that the toons have sharkhide on them. One year ago we used toonbrite on them full strength and now we have those concentrated black places. The prior owner said that with Sharkhide it will do that if you use a cleaner. The toons themselves seem to not be smooth below the water level. I’m at a loss in what to do!

Attachments

• 307BC437-741F-428D-88BE-57BA64E8E361.jpeg
    307BC437-741F-428D-88BE-57BA64E8E361.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 10
This is after we power washed it. See the remaining stuff still on it? We didn’t use any chemicals.

Attachments

• 930EA459-4B9C-425E-A68C-4938A0BCCC62.jpeg
    930EA459-4B9C-425E-A68C-4938A0BCCC62.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 65
You can remove Sharkhide with lacquer thinner. I’d remove it, tape off everything, acid wash, then decide what you want to do going forward. Hopefully the toons end up uniform after acid wash, and you may just want to apply Sharkhide again. If not, they will oxidize/darken over time.

You can remove Sharkhide with lacquer thinner. I’d remove it, tape off everything, acid wash, then decide what you want to do going forward. Hopefully the toons end up uniform after acid wash, and you may just want to apply Sharkhide again. If not, they will oxidize/darken over time.

Do this!

We just discovered that the toons have sharkhide on them. One year ago we used toonbrite on them full strength and now we have those concentrated black places. The prior owner said that with Sharkhide it will do that if you use a cleaner. The toons themselves seem to not be smooth below the water level. I’m at a loss in what to do!
The guys at Sharkhide are very helpful too. If you have any questions about it give them a call and chat with them. :)

This is after we power washed it. See the remaining stuff still on it? We didn’t use any chemicals.
We have always had Sharkhide on our toons but I guess the acid wash was so strong it just obliterated it and then reapplied the Sharkhide. I honestly don't know how to get rid of those burn mark looking things....

I’ve been using Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser for years. Found it works better than the powder version. A lot less waste on a windy day. We use the blue Scotch-Brite non scratch sponges to apply and work in the soft cleanser. I hit the toons with the power washer to thoroughly rinse everything off in the end.
We have the same stuff that we use on our SS cooktop. If Angeljo used it on just that area to get the burn marks out what would the finish look like after. Would they have to do the whole toon to look uniform?

NOTE: Very important you cover everything you DON’T want acid wash to touch. There’s a member on here that had some damage done by a careless dealer using acid wash and it damaged uncovered portions of aluminum.

Back