Honda 60 on 2575 RCW

DeeNDean

Reaction score
Hi folks,

New here and just last week purchased a previously enjoyed 2013 2575 RCW with a Honda 60. My first thought when looking at the boat was "man I'm going to have to re-power this thing". After playing with the boat all weekend it actually is not too bad. Not going to be wake-boarding behind it obviously but we don't do much for water sports anyway. 

My question is at WOT it is at about 1500 RPM and 19 mph with two people on board. The RPM's seem low to me but I am new to outboards (also have a Formula 260 hp IO) and don't know if the prop is sized correctly or not. 

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks, Dean

You're doing well at 19 mph with a 60 pushing a 2575, but there's no way your tach is reading correctly. Was that a typo? A true 1500 rpm should have you doing less than 5 mph.

I agree, that RPM is incorrect.

You're doing well at 19 mph with a 60 pushing a 2575, but there's no way your tach is reading correctly. Was that a typo? A true 1500 rpm should have you doing less than 5 mph.
That is what I thought. No typo. The motor sounds about right at WOT. Going to have to look into that but I agree, we were surprised how well that little motor did pushing such a large platform.

Otherwise absolutely love the comfort and quality of the boat! Even if we end up re-powering later on it's going to be a great addition to our toy's....

There may be a switch on the back of the tachometer than sets up the different # of cylinders and/or 2 stroke/4 stroke.  It may need resetting.
                I will check that out! Thanks

Dean

There may be a switch on the back of the tachometer than sets up the different # of cylinders and/or 2 stroke/4 stroke.  It may need resetting.
YAHTZEE! Just enough daylight left and with a flashlight I crawled under the helm and changed the tach settings. It is now reading 5500 RPM exactly at WOT. So I would venture to say it's propped correctly.

Makes me wonder though if there was a much larger engine on the boat at one time. Hard to believe Bennington would have sent one out with an un-calibrated  tach and no one noticed for 250+ hours. 

Great forum here! Thanks for the input. 

Dean

Bennington would not have prepped the motor setup. That would be the dealer. Hard to believe no one noticed before, neither dealer nor owners?

Possible tach swap prior to sale and never noticed rpm change?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also verify the speed with GPS. OEM speedos aren't know for accuracy. If you haven't verified yet, don't be surprised if it's reading high.

I would also verify the speed with GPS. OEM speedos aren't know for accuracy. If you haven't verified yet, don't be surprised if it's reading high.
                      It appears to be right on according to my Garmin that I took off my other boat. 18-19 mph with two occupants. Not bad for a big boat with a little motor. Of course the more bodies on board the slower we go. So far very happy with it.

I did already price re-powering with a Honda 150. Yikes! Gonna run the 60 for now. Got the whole Maine winter ahead to think about it.

Dean

Back