Horn issues

Smart a$$!

The horn actually looks like an auto horn that has been modified with a stainless cover with a membrane to keep water out. In my opinion,which doesn't count in my house,it should be made with stainless steel instead of just zink treated metal and plastic. Or just plastic so it can not rust like mine did. This is especially true for those of us that run in salt water. Maybe the purchase agent should be speaking to the warranty people!

I plan to call Bennington. The horn is replaced by the dealer but goes bad in one or two uses. Seems pitiful for such a fine boat.

Ours is in the helm and very loud. Startles everyone on board. Sounds like a 99 Buick lesabre when I hit it.

Same with me -- no problems with our horn. 

I RARELY use ours and haven't even tried it this season but it worked last year fine in its third summer. 

Mine was very muffled, the dealer replaced it and after about 2-3 weeks its doing the same as the last one.  I'm assuming water is getting into it.  I'm tempted to get a HornBlasters kit and mounting the horns under the bow facing the rear to avoid water getting in them. 

I called Bennington and they said to try mounting the horn pointing backwards.????

I called Bennington and they said to try mounting the horn pointing backwards.????

That makes sense to me if they think the problem is water entering the horn. 

I'm sure that will increase the effectiveness of the horn (not), but I guess on the other hand, it's not very effective if it doesn't work!

Last edited by a moderator:
While standing in the water in front of the boat this past weekend, I had the chance to hear my horn from a new perspective (instead of from behind the helm), courtesy of my daughter. 

It works loud and clear, unlike many others have reported. Frankly, I'm impressed. Not sure why Bennington doesn't use the same horn on all of their models. 

Mine also went bad within the first month due to water.   The dealer replaced it and stated that if you install the horn with the opening facing towards the stern the water will not enter the horn.  This is a simple fix . . .when they replace the horn tell the dealer to install it backwards as mine has been working for 3 years now without any issues.

Back