How to Clean Toons after just 2 months?

tyjy

Reaction score
Just took our new boat out of the water over the weekend to perform the required Yamaha motor maintenance. Got only 16 hours on it. Haven't used it much because for several weeks it's been just sitting at the marina while the River flood stage waned. I posted two pictures in the Pontoon Gallery (don't know how to post on this thread unfortunately). We did have the factory Sharkhide application. HOW & when would you begin cleaning this crud off the toons? Would it be advantageous to find a sand bar somewhat soon and get in the water with it and use a sponge or grill brush pad? How hard will it be if we wait till we pull it at the end of the season?

Thanks for any advice!

gallery_5569_640_1244948.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The beauty and purpose of sharkhyde is that it should power wash off fairly easy and just need some minor hand washing, but be carefull not to use anything abrasive or with chemicals as to wash the sharkhyde off.

Fixed it for ya.

Thank you Carl! A picture in the thread makes it SO much more helpful! : )

The beauty and purpose of sharkhyde is that it should power wash off fairly easy and just need some minor hand washing, but be carefull not to use anything abrasive or with chemicals as to wash the sharkhyde off.
Boy, sure hoping a power washer does the work! (we need to buy one now) After seeing how bad it's getting it makes we wish we got the sealed strakes! I didn't think it was a big deal if we got the SPS package nor is it in salt water, but the crud is getting in those holes now too so sure wish it was sealed up. (food for thought for those contemplating a build)

Wow, I thought our river water was dirty. Power washer should work. If the trailer is yours u r lucky. I hand scrub mine every month or so in shallow water as I don't have a trailer. Looks like you will need to do yours monthly.

:blink:  monthly? 

yes, trailer is ours. anyone with tips on a reasonably priced power washer???

:blink:  monthly? 

yes, trailer is ours. anyone with tips on a reasonably priced power washer???
ha, that's a whole 'nuther thread ;-)

If cleaning the toons is all you'll do with it get a big box one with a Honda GC160 motor and just replace the pump whenever it breaks (because it will). I have this one Pressure-Pro E3027HC pressure washer It's definitely not cheap, but it always starts easily and runs perfectly when I most need it. I use mine a lot to clean docks, boats, cars, trailers, walks, and everything else around the lake house. The big difference is this one has a CAT triplex pump which lasts a lot longer than the typical axial pumps you'll see in big box stores.

That looks nasty, I thought the sharkhyde would keep it from sticking. Glad I trailer mine when I'm not using it. I would not use the grill brush pad, it would mess up the sharkhyde. I would pressure wash it.

That's a nice pressure washer Tom has. I purchased the Dewalt version of that with a GX390 and Cat pump after trying a Costco pressure washer. It had a Honda engine but a no-name pump so the original 1800psi dropped to nothing in about a year. A new replacement pump was more than I paid for the whole machine so I gave the engine to a neighborhood kid and trashed the rest.

That old saying about buying your last boat first rings true with pressure washers as well.

Boy, sure hoping a power washer does the work! (we need to buy one now) After seeing how bad it's getting it makes we wish we got the sealed strakes! I didn't think it was a big deal if we got the SPS package nor is it in salt water, but the crud is getting in those holes now too so sure wish it was sealed up. (food for thought for those contemplating a build)
Interesting thought...

That is wicked. Is your water that dirty, or is that a growth of some kind? I would think twice about getting into that water. Is it from flooding or washoff? I don't know how to clean toons, I will have to learn--if my boat ever arrives-- but I can say that if my toons looked like that I would be cleaning it yesterday. (To be honest, I would have my detailer out there cleaning it.)

As far as the sealed strakes, that is how I ordered my boat. I can see many benefits to sealing them and none for leaving them open.

Cheers, Steve

My toons looked like that after 2 months too.  I took other's advice here and found a shallow spot and just got after the gunk with a scotchbrite pad.  It was a good amount of work doing it by myself but the toons cleaned up pretty well and it made a noticeable improvement in the speed I could get.  My dealer made sure I got the sealed strakes, so I guess I should be grateful for that.  It would be nice to have a trailer to do some pressure washing but none of my vehicles will pull the weight. Is there PADS for tow vehicles too?   :D  

Is there PADS for tow vehicles too?   :D  
Don't know about TOW vehicles, but definitely vehicles. This past year or so I went through 4, one of them was like 42 days.

2007 Solstice, 2003 Ram, 2005 Ram, 2011 Jeep JKU ....... I think I'm done. .......... LOL !!!

Don't know about TOW vehicles, but definitely vehicles. This past year or so I went through 4, one of them was like 42 days.

2007 Solstice, 2003 Ram, 2005 Ram, 2011 Jeep JKU ....... I think I'm done. .......... LOL !!!
I'm willing to bet that you are not done SemperFi

Our toons look like after about a week in the slip (cess pool that Saylorville Lake is!  :) ) But it doesn't keep us from boating/tubing/swimming.  We take it out mid-summer and our dealer pressure washes for us...then we repeat at the end of the season before storage. 

Back