Hurricane tie down?

Timdelta

Reaction score
Two questions,
What are the little U shaped brackets at midship? There is one on each side.
The other question is what or how, considerations when tying up boat for hurricane on a lift?
I tied it to the lift on 4 corners from each cleat, then tied it from those U shaped brackets. I then tied the lift in 4 points, one on each piling to keep it from swinging around. Finally I tied the boat from the front of 2 pontoons to to cleats on the dock. I figured if it all breaks loose I can keep some pieces near the dock and not continue to damage other property. My lift is raised to about 6-7 feet above the normal waterline.
So what are the ideas?

Sorry to hear that you are in this tough situation. Forgive my ignorance but would it be safer away from the water on a trailer? (If you have one, or can rent one?)

The U brackets are "cleats" . They are for spring lines when docking. We use our starboard one to hold a rope out of the water. we have a rope from the starboard rear of the boat to the dock at the front of the boat to keep the rear of the boat away from the finger pier. When we unhook the ropes we catch that rope behind that U bracket and tighten the rope on the front cleat.

The other question is what or how, considerations when tying up boat for hurricane on a lift?
I tied it to the lift on 4 corners from each cleat, then tied it from those U shaped brackets. I then tied the lift in 4 points, one on each piling to keep it from swinging around. Finally I tied the boat from the front of 2 pontoons to to cleats on the dock. I figured if it all breaks loose I can keep some pieces near the dock and not continue to damage other property. My lift is raised to about 6-7 feet above the normal waterline.
So what are the ideas?
I just posted recommendations for hurricane prep. There are several suggestions related to boats on lifts. Hurricane Prep

Two questions,
What are the little U shaped brackets at midship? There is one on each side.
So what are the ideas?
Don't forget to remove your canvas. Remove Bimini Canvas and Boat cover canvas. Maybe take anything else loose with you. Think of the the winds of 70mph or more like driving down the highway. Where are you?

Anna Maria island. (Mouth of Tampa bay)
I did take canvas off and everything else

Hang in there. Hopefully it weakens before reaching you.

Sending our best to you Timdelta…AND everyone else that may be impacted. Current storm track is certainly cause for concern. Be safe!

I hope all goes well Timdelta. I’ve been to AMI many times. Beautiful place. Prayers for you and your family.

It seems to be a little more south now so hoping it is all good. We went to Orlando to stay at hotel and been having cocktails with daughter and husband most of day so in a perverse way, it’s been a fun day. We pay tons for insurance, just hope we don’t have to use any. It’s such a hassle. Thanks all.

Our place is gone. 150mph+ wind but the 7-10’ storm surge did us in. Boats are flung everywhere.

Our place is gone. 150mph+ wind but the 7-10’ storm surge did us in. Boats are flung everywhere.
Sad to hear. It didn't look pretty there on the news. Boats piled up on top of each other.

So sorry to hear this. This is the part of Florida that I hate with these damn hurricanes. I’m on the east coast if you need anything

Sorry to hear this. Our house in Sanibel and a rental condo next door are in bad shape, uninhabitable, and access to the island cut off for at least a year or two with the causeway breached in 5 places.

Sorry to hear each of your stories for those impacted. Especially Bayside and TomS so far. So much damage. We know a number of people impacted down there. Our good friends and cottage neighbors (retired couple) have heavy damage to their winter home in Fort Myers. Not habitable right now, and they are trying to figure out what their next steps might be. I can only imagine how horrible it is for people, particularly those that live there full time without other options.

Sending our best to everyone down there with recovery efforts.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear each of your stories for those impacted. Especially BigD and TomS so far. So much damage. We know a number of people impacted down there. Our good friends and cottage neighbors (retired couple) have heavy damage to their winter home in Fort Myers. Not habitable right now, and they are trying to figure out what their next steps might be. I can only imagine how horrible it is for people, particularly those that live there full time without other options.

Sending our best to everyone down there with recovery efforts.
BaysideFMB. Not me. I don't live in Florida. The worst we got here in NC where I live is a lot of debris cleanup and loss of power for 12 hours.

BaysideFMB. Not me. I don't live in Florida. The worst we got here in NC where I live is a lot of debris cleanup and loss of power for 12 hours.
D’oh! Meant to say Bayside and TomS. Thinks for catching it.

Back