Hydraulic Steering

kaydano

Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6qGicVhiEgs

Can someone with hydraulic or power assisted steering look at the 4:30 mark in this video and comment on whether you think that is power assisted or just plain hydraulic steering?

They say it's hydraulic, but that's a 300 horse motor and looks pretty effortless to turn the wheel compared to my cable steering.

If that's hydraulic without power assist, I gotta get that.

Power. Around the 1:40ish mark they say "Steering pump located next to the batteries"

I can dock with only using a finger, so it is as nice as they show

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta be power assisted... AND... Why are you watching ST videos? Can't imagine having just hydraulic on a 300, plus with that boat it might rip the transom off.

I had to go see what that thing costs, just for a laugh. Looks like they disco'd that upper end line in 2015. Imagine that!

But yeah, that definitely looks like power assist. I'm not sure if I had just hydraulics working when my power assist wasn't connected, but assuming I did, it still was a good amount of work. It seemed easier than cranking the wheel on my old boat with the 90 and cable steering, but it still gave a work out. I was very pleased to get it hooked up. 

The Verado's have built in Merc power steering (not SeaStar) as standard, so yes, this setup would have it.

Everyone knows what power steering feels like from your car...  Has anyone had cable steering, then switched to hydraulic (without the power steering pump)?

Where does hydraulic stand between the two in terms of ease of steering?  Would you say it is in the middle, or closer to the cable steering end (hard) or closer to the power steering end (easy)?  I hope that question makes sense.

I'm told that hydraulic steering doesn't make it easier to turn the wheel, just easier to hold that position. So the motor isn't fighting against you. I went from cable on a 90 to full power, so no real world personal experience. 

Don't ask me, I fart in the bathtub and bite the bubbles.

I'm told that hydraulic steering doesn't make it easier to turn the wheel, just easier to hold that position. So the motor isn't fighting against you. I went from cable on a 90 to full power, so no real world personal experience. 
Correct...as long as your cable system is working well, you won't notice much difference between the two when the motor is off/in neutral (assuming ratio is similar).  There is a huge difference when under power (with bigger motors) because you don't get any feedback from the motor.  The wheel won't want to spin in your hands if you lose grip or fight you when you are turning.  For water sports this is a huge benefit as you are turning back and forth a lot.

I didn't have hydraulic on my old boat with the 115.  I would have wanted it with a 150 or 200+.  I've never had a boat until now with power assisted hydraulic, so I can't comment on that yet.

I went from cable with the 115 to hydraulic on the 200 and it does seem smoother. It is not one finger turning like with power assist but isnt too bad. I'd go for it, worst case you save up another season then add the pump next winter.

I have hydraulic without power steering on a GCW with a 150.  I can't compare it to cable or power because I have had neither, but I don't think it's difficult to turn.  I don't get tired out from steering.  When I'm skiing or on the tube, my wife is driving and she has never complained about it.  I agree that the wheel doesn't spin in my hands if I let go and I don't feel like I'm fighting making turns.  Maybe I just don't know what I am missing with the power steering.  We ski and tube with adults, teens, and younger kids.

The steering torque is very significant when tubing. But I can let go of the wheel and it turns sharp all by itself in one direction! Turning the other way pulling tubes is a two hand job cranking on the wheel. I'm not talking hand over hand, I need both arms to actually move the wheel. One hand can hold it still while I reposition my hands to get ready to make another crank on the wheel. It is dangerous though. I don't let my kid drive because of the steering torque and the safety concern.

Kaydano

I plan on installing the seas tar hydraulic only steering this spring. If we don't feel comfortable turning, as we do this a lot living on a river, we'll add power assist next year.

JV

Keep me posted. We may be putting in the same kit...

Kaydano,

You will totally eliminate the steering torque at the wheel by installing the hydraulic.  I've had all three....cable, std. SeaStar hydraulic, and then added the Power Assist Unit a few years back.  The power assist is definitely the way to go, as it really does allow one finger steering at any time, but it is an expensive addition.  If it's not in your budget at the moment, I'd install the SeaStar hydraulic now and look for a deal on a power assist unit if you think you need it.  It's the same installation whether you do it now or later.  Either way, you'll never regret switching from cable to hydraulic. It's a win-win.

I'll eventually add the power assist as well. As it will be an easy upgrade it will just be a matter of finding a good deal on the pump.

To Kaydano, I have the 115 Yam. With cable, strakes, under sheeting. You didn't say which motor, etc you were using when you said it was a beast to turn. It looks like you've used a 115 and a 150. If I experience the same issues and I don't want to deal with it, I'll add hydraulic but with under sheeting is that easily done? thanks

I had the Yamaha 115 with cables. I had no issues and never considered adding hydraulic steering. My brother had a merc 150 and we installed hydraulic because it was much more difficult to control.

My last toon with the 115 had cable steering. It was ok. Water tested the setup we have now (200) with hydraulic so I knew it would be do-able for us without power assist.

Back