I guess we'll see

That is from the gas boom right? I'd imagine with all the workers moving there with their families they need services, retail stores etc.
Yep that pretty much sums it up in a nut shell although it is an oil boom not a gas boom, natural gas is a byproduct of the oil here they are trying to capture more of due to numerous reasons and laws. Bakken oil field was the biggest single reason for the worker shortage on top of excellent agricultural commodities all around as well. The need for all the supporting businesses came along but could not compete with the abundance of oil related jobs which has simmered down a bit but will continue to grow as time goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for an electric and gas utility so that is why I mentioned gas! It is sure nice having lower fuel prices. Sign on bonus at Taco Bell is hilarious!!!

With your wit, and personality, you'll land something better for sure. I'd hire you in heartbeat.

Rats, sorry to hear this Derrick.  I hope things look up for you soon.

Derrick be glad that at the moment your still working. During my career I was laid of three times. I worked sales in the processed food business. Field sales manager covering most of the east coast of the U. S. It wasn't easy finding a job being unemployed with most companies located elsewhere in the states. . While you working you get a chance to shop around with less pressure on you. Stick with it, don't get yourself down Look at it this way, the guy that bumped you may not like the position and quit.

Well now I'm in a conundrum! As some of you know, I got bumped from my courier job a while back, and in a few weeks we will lose a company that makes up about 30% of our rural freight, which is what our whole depot is made up of. So now I'm unsure on what may become of my job here. I'm TOLD I will still be kept on, but this leads to the fact that probably me getting back a day job is not in the cards for 8-10 years, if everything continues on this path. I'll have to wait until someone retires. 

So then I get a call from a private courier company that wants me to work for them, decent money (a little less than my two jobs combined) but days. Problem is no pension, and no benefits yet. We are trying to work out the benefits part, but the scariest thing is the unknown! 

The new job doesn't really have everything figured out, and the boss talks a good game about what he expects of me and so on, but it's the unknown growth possibility or loss possibility that means talk is cheap. Being private, there is no security, although in the past 7 months I've lost most of my sense of security in my current job too.

I just keep saying that at least I'll be working days, doing what I enjoy, and that is worth a lot. Regardless of my enjoyment, the bank still wants money. I hate change, except in boats, and can't make decisions, so this is a really rough time! On the one bright side, or dark side, the stress of it all leaves me not hungry or sleeping, so I weigh less than I did 12 years ago! 

Well Bulldog I have always said that things usually have a way of working out and I am hopeful that they will for you.  Keep your eyes and ears open and perhaps something in a totally different line of work comes up.  

Best of luck to you pal

Sorry to hear about that Derrick, but could the new job offer you the opportunity to help the company grow with your experience, and perhaps put you in a better position in the long run?

I know change can be tough to work through, but sometimes you have to take some risk to improve your situation.

If I've learned anything it is there is NO security unless you are fortunate enough to be the company, charting the course yourself. The good news is you have some good opportunities to think about, and love what you do wherever it is! There is a lot to be said for bringing passion and experience to a new job, so hopefully you'll be able to work through your decision and continue to find success either way.

And..............You're still young. Keep the chin up Derrick and you'll be ok. BTW, We have a FedEx hub about 20 mins from the lake here. In case you want to get out of Dodge.  :D

Hang in there. What about other lines of work? I'd rather work 40 hours at a job I didn't enjoy that pays the bills vs. 80 at a job I loved for the same amount. And if Justin Beiber can come into the US, we surely can welcome two more!

We have a UPS and Fedex hubs in the area and lots of water to boat on .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Bulldog I have always said that things usually have a way of working out and I am hopeful that they will for you.  Keep your eyes and ears open and perhaps something in a totally different line of work comes up.  

Best of luck to you pal

That's what I'm thinking, at least if I'm out in the daylight seeing people, and them seeing me.

Hang in there. What about other lines of work? I'd rather work 40 hours at a job I didn't enjoy that pays the bills vs. 80 at a job I loved for the same amount. And if Justin Beiber can come into the US, we surely can welcome two more!

That's the problem with small town rural living, there aren't a lot of good paying jobs. Other than going and working at the jail. Money wise, it's very close to what I'm making now, which is still substantially less than I used to make, but still a good wage.

I would love to move down and have a longer boating season, maybe Link needs a full time house sitter for when he's on cruises and vacation! Haha 

... I would love to move down and have a longer boating season, maybe Link needs a full time house sitter for when he's on cruises and vacation! Haha 

I think between Carl, Link, and Bamaman you might have a plan there ;-)

I need a Procurment Professional in Brazil. Is that too far south? 

I need a Procurment Professional in Brazil. Is that too far south? 

My brothers wife is from Brazil actually! They are looking to buy property there for when he leaves the Army. If it involves schmoozing, I'm in!

My brothers wife is from Brazil actually! They are looking to buy property there for when he leaves the Army. If it involves schmoozing, I'm in!

I'd be shocked if they would be looking in the area I have a plant. Only good thing I've found so far is; it's where Gisele Bundchen was born. (NFL Quarterback Tom Brady's wife) 

I'd be shocked if they would be looking in the area I have a plant. Only good thing I've found so far is; it's where Gisele Bundchen was born. (NFL Quarterback Tom Brady's wife) 

We all know who she is Jared!!!!!!

Back