If its RUDE to ask, Then it Must be even MORE Rude to tell!

It's customary when filling up the Suburban to have someone ask "How much does it cost to fill up that thing?" The person asking is usually some smugpug driving a Prius-type car. My standard answer is "Nothing, I won a radio contest back in the 80's and I get free gas for life." Then a second later I'll add with a nod at their economy car something like "Man, it must suck having to drive that little thing just because gas is so expensive." The conversation is usually over at that point.

I'll take a similar tact with the boat when it's finished. The new answer will be "Nothing, my wife won it on Let's Make a Deal."

Then a second later I'll add with a nod at their economy car something like "Man, it must suck having to drive that little thing just because gas is so expensive."
That is hysterical! I'm going to start using that one.

Great line. Love it......

My welfare checks still cover the monthly payment and there is enough left over for the beer and gas too! This is Usually a conversation ender as well. :lol:

You didn't earn that boat. Someone else made that happen for you.

I couldn't help it. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just say "too much" or "more than I should have". I agree, its rude. Now if its a person actually shopping I might help him have an idea of what a good deal might be, but most ask because they are nosy and want to have something to share with others. I feel I have too much already without giving others a reason to think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with Looneymoose, if someone asks, I don't mind telling. I give them ranges and tell them they can probably spend as much money as they want. Typically, if they take a ride there is usually not a lot of conversation about price.

Funny story: My brother-in-law gave me a ton of grief over how much I paid for my "party barge." He calls me "dilly deluxe." He owned a 22' Parti Kraft. After a visit to our lake house and a weekend on our 2575 RLi, he promptly went home, sold his Parti Kraft and bought a 2575 QCW I/O. Who's the dilly deluxe now?

I refer to the age old quote, "you only cry once when you buy quality."

dilly deluxe - Is that a Texas Term. Please translate for us Northern Folks

Northern Folks ---- in Kentucky? That's the deep south :rolleyes:
I believe those people (deep South) are the Buckeye Navy that go to Lake Norris in TN.

I've found that there are two types of people. The first type is truly interested and maybe even considering a Bennington. They appreciate all of the features and quality. They ask a ton of questions and are very complimentary. I don't mind giving them a range that depends a lot on how they build their boat. The second type already plans on criticizing the price before they even ask. It only happened once, but I had one lady say as she was walking by "Nice boat, but my boat is paid for. How much did that cost?". I was so stunned I just looked at her with a blank stare. It was the first time a stranger had ever walked up to me to talk about the boat and led with a negative comment. :blink:

Back