If its RUDE to ask, Then it Must be even MORE Rude to tell!

G

Geewest

With our new boat we have been very lucky to have many people admire. While thumbs up and Nice boat are appreciated. It most always comes down to some one asking HOW MUCH $. I'm confused on what's the right way to reply. I like to share knowledge and info with like minded people so at times it seems ok to say. But other times it Just feels Rude! it's the times that it feels rude and marginalized is what prompted this post.

What are Ur thoughts.

The better half and I have discussed this multiple times.

We usually go with the dealer wanted $XXX for it, if they really want to know the websites get them in the price range.

Many times they are new to boating and have no idea that BOAT means bring another thousand :lol:

Would be curious to see what others have to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Hummer H2 once, as previos tow vehicle for my previos boat and everyone always asked me what it got for gas mileage? I always told them that "if you have to ask, you probably cant afford it!" May work for you. Its hard to be that way, and Id always finish with what it actualy got. LOL

I tell people the MSRP from build a boat and then tell them that you can spend almost a hundred grand on the top of the line model. It normally shuts them up quickly. Then again, you have the Q so it may not work so well for you.

I never like giving a dollar amount. I frame the price in a range that somebody can understand but not have to give a number. When we bought our used Bennington, my answer to my inlaws was it was less than the Suburban. It can work for your new boats, if you say it's like buying a Benz, Lexus , the quality, workmanship is similiar. No price but they know the range you are in. None of our friends have asked the price, they just enjoy the boat. The simple answer to somebody can just be "a lot and we love the boat"

I tell them "the dock and the boat were the same price". B)

I don't talk about costs, as it's not anyone's business. In reality, the general non-boating public don't have any idea what anything in the marine world costs.

It's just through websites like this that I have a general idea what a Bennington/pontoon/tritoon costs. And, that's just a general idea.

But if you start talking bay boats, offshore fishing boats or any other kinds of boats, I'm lost when it comes to cost. And, I don't care.

What I don't understand is where the money comes from to pay for a big offshore fishing boat, like a Grady-White, AND three 250 hp motors. Who can afford to run a boat that doesn't get but 1 mpg--and gets hundreds and hundreds of hours put on the motors? Gasoline in places like Florida or the Bahamas is much, much higher than in the rest of the U.S. (excluding California.)

Geewest: What mountain lake are you visiting? You know, the one in your beautiful pictures?

Bamanan,

I'm thinking price is all relative. I ask the same thing about a development near me, $700k plus house, 2 new caddys or beamers in drive, 3 kids in yard, and momma hanging out. What do these peoe do for a living and where did I go wrong? :)

People at work think I'm rich cause I have a house, 2 new(er) vehicles and a pontoon. I tell them I'm not rich, I just have a good credit rating !!! :eek: in reality, I have most of my stuff because I can work on just about anything and not have to pay others to do it.

I'm sure when my 2013 Benni comes in spring, they'll think I hit the lottery !!!!

I point them to the web site but do not tell them the options I have which brings the total up a lot. And I add that I got a very good deal from out of town dealer. But I do not give Amy number and do not educate them on the different version.

From a boat looker side. Let me say I have not asked someone about their boat price but I have asked about the asking price of specific boats I have been looking at on this forum as well as other forums. I can totally understand your frustration as I would say most people are nosey and just want to know for shear curosity or to see who got the better deal. However there are other people, a lost less than the previously mentioned group, out there who are have never owned a boat and are looking to purchase a boat and need help on pricing(me and others I know). So they could possible be in this group, while unlikely, it is possible. For me there is such a wide range of prices for similarly equipped boats that it makes it difficult to make sure you are getting a good deal. Just my two cents.

You are the person that if we met at a dock or parking lot or this forum, and you mentioned that you were looking to get into boating, we would love to show you the boat, answer questions and explain the realities of prices and ownership. It's the people that ask price for their ego satisfaction that give me heartburn. There are a class of boaters that are in it for the ego. More power to them and it is fun to watch them go by, but i have found that most pontoons are in it for personal, family, Friends relaxation. There are many beautiful and expensive toons on the water but you can have just as much fun on any size boat. The best boat is the one that you can afford and you still like when it is sitting during the winter while you make payments. :D

I think another approach might be to give them the "ballpark" MSRP price and then follow with saying that what you actually end up paying will vary greatly depending on the model, options, time of the year/month you try to make the deal, and the dealer (some seem more willing to deal than others). It impresses me as a lot like making a deal on a new car where those same factors are involved. If it is someone who seems really interested and not just curious you might go on to give them some pointers on what to look for (important options) and how to approach the negotiations.

Jack

With our new boat we have been very lucky to have many people admire. While thumbs up and Nice boat are appreciated. It most always comes down to some one asking HOW MUCH $. I'm confused on what's the right way to reply. I like to share knowledge and info with like minded people so at times it seems ok to say. But other times it Just feels Rude! it's the times that it feels rude and marginalized is what prompted this post.

What are Ur thoughts.
I usually say that it cost more than my first house.

Roy

I told someone last season you cant put aprice on quality.But i was really thinking go see a dealer look on line.If it is rude to ask just tell them they couldnt afford it anyway. haha

I like the MSRP approach along with get the best deal that you can negotiate. If the inquisitive person is a good friend, I don't mind telling. Steve

If someone ask me what I paid I just tell them. I does not bother me.

But first things first. I am always complemented on how much they like my Bennington. And take time to point out to me what they like about it. No one has ever been a Must Be Nice Jerk to me or my wife. If I can help answer any of thier questions I will do my best. When we part company it is alway on a possative note. I always walk away feeling blessed I could afford a Bennington and most of all time to enjoy it.

It's not arms & legs here, it's just a boat, a very nice boat, but just a boat.

I am happy it's our Bennington.

I agree with the last few posts. When I see something that I might like to have myself but have no idea what it costs I have asked friends what it costs.

Usually I just say a lot, but the smiles come free. Then usually they will throw out a number and say what around $50g, to which I usually say, well, the motor alone cost around $23 grand, usually that gets them thinking in the right ballpark.

Derrick

Back