I'm Bumed Out! (Not)

RiverBill

Reaction score
Took our 2012 22 SSI Bennington (Mercury Outboard 150 FS) to the dealer for the 20 hr sevice yesterday, went to pick it up today and someone had used a forklift to move the boat around the dealer lot and picked it up to high, broke/bent the lower drive skagg! Now I'm waiting to get it repaired/replaced. Anyone have a Skagg repaired/welded, Pros/Cons?

Thanks

RiverBill

Last edited by a moderator:
i had one welded once when i found some rocks the hard way. never had a problem after the job was done. Sorry to hear about that.

Justin

The boat and motor are just too new to put up with such conduct. The dealer (and their employee) had a responsibility to protect your boat and your motor.

Yea, they could have a quality welding shop do such a repair, but I wouldn't accept it. (No boat dealer has a welder with the skills to do such an aluminum repair properly.) And, you don't want them to cut the skeg off and replace it with a stainless jacketed skeg.

They should demonstrate their good will by installing a new lower unit.

Yup I agree w/Bamaman............Brand new boat/motor, brand new lower unit! Press the dealer! They might be able to sufficiently fix the skeg but it's something that would always be in the back of your mind. If the dealer doesn't budge about the repair at least get some kind of lifetime warranty on it............

I agree with the others. The repair would be the temporary fix to get you back on the water until the full replacement with new parts can be done.

Justin

I agree with everyone, replacement is the only option. Sheesh, now not only am I going to be nervous about getting fuel, but service too! That settles it, the only safe place is on the water!!! :D

Derrick

That really stinks! :( You know, sometimes s#*t just happens, nobody meant any harm....

I hope the marina shows good faith by getting you back on the water with either a temporary repair or loaner motor until they get you a new lower unit.

I would accept no less than a new one.

+1 on the new lower unit. That's why they have insurance. At least for your sake I hope they do.

I have seen them repaired all the time and you never know it was damaged. I would give them the opportunity to fix it first.

I too would give them the chance to repair it to "your satifaction". You may get a little store credit for the troubles, maybe a couple hundred dollars? It just seems like it would be good customer service and it only cost them half the price anyway.

Steve

I will have to say that if this was my boat same situation, (2012 MODEL) I would insist that it was put back to the condition it was in when it was dropped off for repairs.

I have welded for years and will be the first to tell you if you strike a submerged rock or tree stump your weakest point is going to be that weld or somewhere near that weld, now if this happens (submerged object) and it breaks again your dealer is not responsible for the repair because you authorized this type of repair to be made.

stand your ground its your boat your money have it fixed right (new caseing/lower unit)and leave with the same condition boat you dropped off.

I will have to say that if this was my boat same situation, (2012 MODEL) I would insist that it was put back to the condition it was in when it was dropped off for repairs.

I have welded for years and will be the first to tell you if you strike a submerged rock or tree stump your weakest point is going to be that weld or somewhere near that weld, now if this happens (submerged object) and it breaks again your dealer is not responsible for the repair because you authorized this type of repair to be made.

stand your ground its your boat your money have it fixed right (new caseing/lower unit)and leave with the same condition boat you dropped off.
Exactly. It's structural integrity that we're talking about here. There is no way to know how much stress was put on the housing near the bearing carrier area. The metal may have been severely fatigued / weakened. After all, it's only cast aluminum. A new housing is not that expensive. It's the dealers fault, insist that he replace the gearcase housing (new) and DO NOT accept repair.

Can you take a picture and post it? I have seen damage to outboard skegs from being drug on the ground while being pulled by a forklift and it is never that severe. Usually the damage is limited to one inch of the bottom of the skeg with maybe a slight bend to the sharp edge on the end. Lets see the picture and then give advice.

Would you accept used parts, or plastic repair of your bumper cover if the dealer wrecked your NEW car in the shop? I wouldn't, neither should you. A welded casting is never as strong as original, especially if you grind the weld down to look like its not been repaired. AIf you didn't grind the weld down on the skeg, you will have additional drag when going thru the water.

Good news,

Our Bennington dealer has agreed to repair the skagg now and replace the lower drive case with a new one when they get one in! I guess the Mercury lower drives are on back order. So looks like we will be back on the water soon!

RiverBill

Good to hear the dealer is stepping up.

Back