Impeller......

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Dropped my boat off today to be winterized/oil changed/lower unit oil changed etc. etc. My question is..........How often have you changed the impeller?!? It's probably been 3 or 4 seasons for us so it's time........

It should be changed every 100 hrs. Although I have seen impellers last longer. Some boaters wait for the impeller to quit altogether, but then you are dead in the water, so to speak. It is always better to be proactive.

For me it has been 3 seasons about 145 plus hours and I am of the mindset that if it needs changed it needs to be changed. I can't think of anything worse than pulling the boat out of the water during Boating Season. 

Cost installed about $100.00

Just as a piece of advice.... better to do the routine maintainence than to risk any difficulties with your Yamaha Warranty  

17705301.jpg

Just changed mine for the first time in the four years I've owned it and I think it was changed once before that, so twice in ten years. Hours are low, less than 100, but I think having it sit on the trailer for the last year caused the impeller to dry out and fail. I'll need to be more diligent as I wait for the drought to end and start the engine each month rather than just keeping a trickle charger on the battery.

The upside to this was I finally found an advantage to having a 50 hp engine. I was able to change the impeller myself after watching a couple of youtube videos. The job isn't difficult from a technical standpoint but holding the lower unit up and reinstalling the bolts by myself was tricky. Another pair of hands would have been helpful. Definitely wouldn't want to try hoisting the lower end of anything larger than 90 hp.

"Dry firing" your engine will dramatically shorten impeller life.

I see many knuckleheads do it.

Mine gets changed about every 200 hours.  It's more of a precautionary thing than anything else.  Never run your engine without water running through it, and try to keep sand, dirt, and other abrasive stuff out of it as best you can.

Most believe in changing impellers every 3 years.

We've been running very low hours the last two years, and our water is extremely clean.  We never get into muddy water or shallow water situations.

I'll probably change my impeller after 5 years on my Yamaha.  It's only a $28 part, and other parts are not required if you're careful with the gaskets, etc.

The owner's manual that came with my engine calls for replacing the impeller at the 300 hour point.  

my dealer is suggesting every other season.

I think every other year is a ripoff.

Is it different for I/O's vs outboards?

It'd be the same for an I/O as far as time goes.

Problem with I/O's is that people often don't properly winterize their engines and drive lines, and water freezes doing damage that's really bad.  You cannot wear the engines out, however.

Back