In-floor gas tank access hatch

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
Still no luck getting my dealer to address, or even talk to me about any of the issues with the new boat, so I'm trying to get done what I can on my own. 

There is a little hatch to the hose connection on the gas tank in the middle tube. It is broken and every time it gets stepped on, it feels like the plastic cover is going to cave in and break as well. I know I can get this replaced under warranty (someday), but it seems like something that will just keep breaking. Does anyone know of anywhere to buy a replacement for this that isn't made of plastic? Seems a poor choice of materials considering it's right in the middle of the walkway. I just don't know what to even search for or where. 

IMG_0951.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I can't help...but what a pain!  Someone needs to make a nice billet cover to replace it.

Nick, sent you a PM

I've never had a problem with either of mine. Once it gets replaced it should be fine. A nice billet would be nice, but it's just one more thing to polish!! Haha

Maybe I missed it, but who is your dealer? Considering all the problems you have had with your dealer, I would like to know who to avoid.

Cheers, Steve

Maybe I missed it, but who is your dealer? Considering all the problems you have had with your dealer, I would like to know who to avoid.

Cheers, Steve
I haven't mentioned names, but let's just say there is only one Bennington dealer in Utah. And yes, avoid like the plague. I still have zero resolutions on any of my issues from delivery last Wednesday. Not even simple things like 'yes, we'll order you that missing pole for your cover' or 'sorry your $3k power steering doesn't work'. Or the part where I asked them just to tell me where I might find a replacement for the snap ring that had come off my trailer and made it inoperable. I was willing to fix it just to get the boat back to the water this weekend, I just had no idea what I a snap ring even was and wanted them to point me in the right direction. I had to email a pic to my bro in law who helped me figure it out (trying to go easy on you guys here on the forum!). The only response I can get is the sales manager saying he'll try to get things moving with warranty and service depts, but still no response on any problems. Even after him promising he would 'light a fire' today. But they didn't waste time getting my old boat listed for sale for $1500 more than I paid when it was NEW! Sorry, trying to control my hostility this week. It's not easy. The boat is awesome, that's all that matters. The boat is awesome, that's all that matters. The boat is awesome, that's all that matters. I just keep telling myself that.  :unsure:

Hang in there. I'll be picking up my boat this Friday and I'll post a review of the boat and dealership, starting from way back when I first shopped the lot. They may be the next closest dealer to you. Hoping for a positive experience with no boat issues.

Cheers, Steve

I feel your pain. I also have bought a boat from the dealer you're talking about. Actually, my family has bought two different boats fron that dealer and we've had less than stellar feelings about them once the boats have been delivered. It's almost like they really don't care about you once they aren't getting more money from you. Maybe if we bought one of the Cobalt's or Malibu's they would be more helpful, but I have my doubts. I hope you find a suitable hatch replacement.

I feel your pain. I also have bought a boat from the dealer you're talking about. Actually, my family has bought two different boats fron that dealer and we've had less than stellar feelings about them once the boats have been delivered. It's almost like they really don't care about you once they aren't getting more money from you. Maybe if we bought one of the Cobalt's or Malibu's they would be more helpful, but I have my doubts. I hope you find a suitable hatch replacement.
A fellow Utahn! That's exactly how I've felt. When the boat is on the line, they'll give you attention (although it does not seem very sincere or knowledgeable). After that, you're on your own. I'm just going to wait until they eventually give me a warranty replacement for the hatch cover. I assume that after enough complaining that should happen. I hope. Doesn't sound like there is anything more robust available to fill the hole anyway. 

I knew a whole lot more about the Benningtons they had when we we're shopping, per the sales person. I hope they give you the cover and don't require you to leave the boat with them. Our "windshield" was broken and the bimni cover had a tear when we picked up our boat and that required them to actually "install" them both.

I personally don't know why they didn't match the hatches that are on the access panels.  Mine has one like yours, and further back where the fuel sender and bilge pump is a different style of hatch.  I would have actually preferred to have them both look the same (prefer the farthest back one).  It's not like we use them constantly to prove that one is more accessible over the other....

Just my opinion... :)

Back