Informational video: Quick clip use and removing, stowing, opening and covering easily.

As a follow-up, I found a local canvas shop at Smith Mountain Lake and had a three-foot zipper installed at the bow of the boat. Virginia Canvas did a great job, the zipper matched the original located on the port side. Finally able to get in without going to my knees.

What did that cost? I might see how it compares locally to do the same. Might actually have the side one replaced as it is a narrow one and I’ve seen some covers with a larger one. I’d like a flap to cover it also to protect it from the sun.

Just thought with people starting to take delivery of new boats this would be great to repost and rewatch. Can’t wait for my boat to come home so I can practice in the driveway. For anyone who is new here SemperFi did a wonderful video on how to remove and install the playpen cover. Go to page 1 and watch his videos. Thanks again SemperFi!

Just thought with people starting to take delivery of new boats this would be great to repost and rewatch. Can’t wait for my boat to come home so I can practice in the driveway. For anyone who is new here SemperFi did a wonderful video on how to remove and install the playpen cover. Go to page 1 and watch his videos. Thanks again SemperFi!

You’re quite welcome!!
Thank you for the compliment!

Thanks to Bob Sell @ F&S Yamaha & Marine for teaching me about the Quick Clip trick.

This is a video I made for using the quick clips, how to stow cover neatly by rolling, and unrolling for easy covering. Note: This is the way I've uncovered and covered for years and it's pretty fast and simple, vs. balling up the cover then trying to figure out the front from the rear.

As I state in the video, if you don't have a side door zipper, get one installed. It makes a world of difference. 3-1/2 years of climbing in on hands and knees ..... no more. Now I can just stoop down, and walk in.

Just an FYI ... time to uncover and roll .... MAYBE 4-5 minutes. Time to unroll and cover, again MAYBE 4-5 minutes. If you roll it up as shown, there's no guesswork to unrolling. The rear is always at the outer edge of the roll with the puddle strap.

Semper Fi brother,Thank you for the video. I actually look forward to covering and uncovering my boat each use. Something I did not do with my SeaRay.

Semper Fi brother,Thank you for the video. I actually look forward to covering and uncovering my boat each use. Something I did not do with my SeaRay.
It’s the best 5-6 minutes you’ll spend keeping your boat looking new. Our 5 year old boat looked new when traded and our 2017 still looks brand spanking new.

I watched this video prior to receiving my boat. We took her for the maiden voyage yesterday evening and didn't make it back to the dock until dark. The wife and I together, for the first time, put the cover on in the dark. We did it without arguing, swearing, yelling, or threatening divorce thanks to his video lol.

I watched this video prior to receiving my boat. We took her for the maiden voyage yesterday evening and didn't make it back to the dock until dark. The wife and I together, for the first time, put the cover on in the dark. We did it without arguing, swearing, yelling, or threatening divorce thanks to his video lol.
SemperFi8387, your work here is done. Saving marriages is going above and beyond. Thank you from all of us noobs (for anyone who hasn’t seen it and is new to boating go to page 1 and watch his videos on how to easily install and remove the mooring cover). Still waiting for my boat to get here but I woke up to this today so I don’t mind waiting another week or two.1618325566387.jpeg

Bump! When I finally got my new boat I was busy grumbling “that’s not how SemperFi had it rolled” your videos are great help and advice for all new boat owners. The kids who preped mine had it folded and crumpled up into the center toon storage. Had to lay it all out before I could figure front and back. Your way is much better. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Wow - Another great reason to keep coming back here - more tips and tricks!

Thanks for the video SemperFi and thanks also for the thread bump lakelife.

I will certainly be trying this on my next lake trip.

Glad you're enjoying the videos. great to see it’s helped many owners with their frustration (or prevented it).

Glad you're enjoying the videos. great to see it’s helped many owners with their frustration (or prevented it).

Thanks for making these videos, they really helped. Quick question, I noticed you had some rod holders mounted on your bimini. Do they get in the way when deploying the Bimini at all? I've been evaluating all the options for mounting some rods, including mounts on the ski tow bar. But I really like your solution.

Thanks for making these videos, they really helped. Quick question, I noticed you had some rod holders mounted on your bimini. Do they get in the way when deploying the Bimini at all? I've been evaluating all the options for mounting some rods, including mounts on the ski tow bar. But I really like your solution.
Thanks. Nope, no issues. They are Scotty base mounts. I have a base mount on transom that I have a triple holder in it, then one on each Bimini with different mounts. I also have one on rail near throttle and have a cup holder on that one. 3E57AE28-573E-4A26-B965-4F701BFD9818.jpeg4E10BC44-EFCD-4691-A236-D1A4FC2C9858.jpegA06A6BAE-8E96-4973-BCD7-FB372C381F74.jpeg

Thanks! I used them on my kayak, so I just need to grab some of the mounting brackets that fit the bimini rail and should be all set.

I love the Scotty mounts!!

I just bought two more, to pop on rear door or rail so I can easily pop my rod in waist level when need be. I don’t have the rail ones screwed on, just tension. The Bimini ones are screwed on though.

I plan to order two for the Bimini, to compliment two of the amarine holders on the ski tow. The Scotty mounts have the versatility of carrying my fly rods, which the amarine holders don't.

Back