Is this normal?

Itsrusty

Reaction score
Hey we just bought a 2006 tritoon, 25 something, it has a Yamaha 115. It seems a little slow. Top speed is around 13 to 14 mph. Also if you give it WOT an alarm sounds . You have to give it throttle slowly to keep the alarm from sounding. Any ideas?

Does it gave a good pee stream of water from the outboard. May need the impeller replaced in the outboard.

Yes it does . Ran it for 4 hours today at 5500-6000 rpm. Ran fine....just the slow speed. Give it more gas or throttle to fast the alarm goes off. Also feels like its cavatating . (Sorry for spelling)

Need a little more info:

Brand and model of boat? 

Do you have lifting strakes on the toons?

Do you know what pitch prop you're running? 

What kind of speedometer? 

Can you use a GPS that shows the actual speed? 

Are you trimming the engine up to see if the nosecones will get out of the water?

If you're getting an alarm, you should go ahead and do a complete maintenance on the boat--whether it needs it or not.  I'd throw in new spark plugs, replace the motor oil and filter, change the lower unit fluid (looking for bubbles or any water intrusion), and put a new water pump impeller in it.  I'd also suggest new fuel filters.

Then, take it out and see if it's still getting the alarm.  If so, have the ECU read by a scanner to see what problem code it's kicking out, get the actual hours usage and see what speeds the engine's been run in its whole life.

You should be running in the mid to high 20's.  With strakes, low 30's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bamaman...........

You're very thorough! I was also thinking impeller and seeing if any codes pop up. On my first boat I had an alarm that indicated overheating and it was the impeller...............But the last time I had an alarm it was found that the fuel pump was failing and I had that replaced. Both incidents were in I/O's.........

Anyone buying a used boat needs to do their due diligence unless it's just about brand new.  And the first thing I'd ever do is change a $28 impeller, drain the lower unit ($5 for Pennzoil @ Walmart), do an oil and filter change, and remove/grease the trailer bearings.

What gets me is the top speed is so far out of the norm, but the engine rpms aren't.  I cannot imagine a prop with a low enough pitch available to get you to only 15 mph @ 6000 rpm's.

Yes it does . Ran it for 4 hours today at 5500-6000 rpm. Ran fine....just the slow speed. Give it more gas or throttle to fast the alarm goes off. Also feels like its cavatating . (Sorry for spelling)
How high do the rpm's go when you give it full throttle, by this statement above it sounds like you might have the wrong prop on it and maybe over revving the motor. just a thought.

Was the motor used in salt water?  If so you could have enough corrosion in the water passages to overheat at w/o throttle.  I learned that lesson the expensive way. 

Agree with everyone else on here.  The engine is desinged to alarm if it is getting overheated (would absolutely change the impellar on that thing given it's a 2006).  Agree with others that perhaps it is the wrong prop but more info is needed.  Best bet is take it to your dealer.

Prop may have the spacer on the wrong side, prop should fit flush to the tail cone.

Impellars are good for 3 years I think?  You are past twice that...

I think my Merc has two alarm sounds.  Either slow and fast beeps, or beep and continuous tone (I'd have to check the manual).  One is a simple warning, the other indicates a major problem.  I haven't heard it on my new 150 yet (knock on head).  I heard it on my old 115 once.  I was trying to see how fast the boat would stop (to get a feel for an emergency stop) and I was going full speed, then quick put it in neutral, then when I slowed to about half speed I put it in reverse.  Stalled the motor and the alarm went off.  Couldn't get it started for several minutes, but it started fine and worked fine after that.

Don't do that...

By the way, my old 115 pushed our boat 35 MPH.  You are way off...

Bama might be on to something with pitch.  Maybe whoever sold it threw an old junk prop on it and sold the good one separately...  Or kept it...

The prop size should be stamped into the side of the prop.  Tell us what it says.

Kaydano partly depends on model and length of boat. my 115 pushed my 2275 Rl at a top speed of 26 - 27mph and after looking what others have posted I am where others are  Agree that 13 or 14 is drastically low no matter what but good chance he may only see something closer to 25 rather than 35 after everything in order. 

Good point Link. I didn't intend to give false hope, so thanks for clarifying.

Was the speed verified by GPS? Or a guestimate?

Back