Just cleaned my gross dried on algae toons EASY

Swiftv8

Reaction score
1 season in a marina really did a number on the old pontoon. I used to trailer it to every lake, but decided on a slip last year. Now it's rub rails are scuffed, logs are scraped, someone hit the motor at some point and gouged the case, but worst I think is the horrible algae stained toons. I got about to cleaning them today and wanted to share with everyone my results and how super simple they were to achieve. I used a product from NAPA called Mac's Aluminum Brightener. I liberaly sprayed it on the log a section at a time, let it soak and turn white, gave it a quick scrub, and hosed it off. It just melted the algae away. Very wicked stuff though so be careful not to get it on anything other than bare aluminum. Happy Boating!

Attachments

• 20210320_124058.jpg
    20210320_124058.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 20210320_124420.jpg
    20210320_124420.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 20210320_124448.jpg
    20210320_124448.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 20210320_124703.jpg
    20210320_124703.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 223
  • 20210320_132917.jpg
    20210320_132917.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 222
Nope, I left them as bare aluminum since new and did this same thing every spring just to make them look new again.

What kind of pole scrubber is that?

1 season in a marina really did a number on the old pontoon. I used to trailer it to every lake, but decided on a slip last year. Now it's rub rails are scuffed, logs are scraped, someone hit the motor at some point and gouged the case, but worst I think is the horrible algae stained toons. I got about to cleaning them today and wanted to share with everyone my results and how super simple they were to achieve. I used a product from NAPA called Mac's Aluminum Brightener. I liberaly sprayed it on the log a section at a time, let it soak and turn white, gave it a quick scrub, and hosed it off. It just melted the algae away. Very wicked stuff though so be careful not to get it on anything other than bare aluminum. Happy Boating!
Dam Cleaned up nice!

Nice job!!! Looks great! Next year is there a way to raise your boat off the trailer to get the part that sits on it?!? I was always afraid to do it on the trailer. Didn't know what that acid wash was going to do to it.......

Nice job!!! Looks great! Next year is there a way to raise your boat off the trailer to get the part that sits on it?!? I was always afraid to do it on the trailer. Didn't know what that acid wash was going to do to it.......
I wish there was but not easily enough unfortunately. I've been doing this every year for the last 4 years and so far the trailer still looks new. I should take it to the dealer and have it done at least once to get that part cleaned up.

Following this thread as I just posted about trying to lift the Benny while on my trailer to clean toons. Boy that looks great! I think it’s time to get rid of my Sharkhide...which look horrible after 3 years

Following this thread as I just posted about trying to lift the Benny while on my trailer to clean toons. Boy that looks great! I think it’s time to get rid of my Sharkhide...which look horrible after 3 years
I'm gonna take a look at your thread because I would really like to do the same.

I would have to believe you lost quite a bit of WOT through the summer. Can you give us some numbers?

About once a month while we are beached at an island I give my toons a rub down using one of those blue scratch pads

I wish there was but not easily enough unfortunately. I've been doing this every year for the last 4 years and so far the trailer still looks new. I should take it to the dealer and have it done at least once to get that part cleaned up.
Yup trailer looks good. I guess that acid wash is easy on painted trailers.

I‘m betting the above water still looks good If it was done properly. I’m going on year 5 and above water looks almost brand new.

Nope, I left them as bare aluminum since new and did this same thing every spring just to make them look new again.
So you don’t clean them periodically during the season? I probably scrub mine down once a month in the water. Maybe twice in middle of summer if it’s growing quicker. Takes maybe 1/2 hour with gentle scotchbrite pad.

I would have to believe you lost quite a bit of WOT through the summer. Can you give us some numbers?

About once a month while we are beached at an island I give my toons a rub down using one of those blue scratch pads
I honestly don't know, I can't remember what my RPM was at top speed. It's still not boating season here yet but I plan on getting those numbers as soon as I can as I would like to upgrade my prop. I wish I would have thought of scrubbing them last year all those times swimming around it.

So you don’t clean them periodically during the season? I probably scrub mine down once a month in the water. Maybe twice in middle of summer if it’s growing quicker. Takes maybe 1/2 hour with gentle scotchbrite pad.
No, I never really did as I used to always trailer it to and from and by the end of a season there was a little staining but nothing excessive. Definitely going to be doing this now though.

I just tried the sharkhide cleaner 9n my stained toons and was completely satisfied with how clean mine came. Probably finish up this weekend. I’ll post some before and after photos if can. I also have some the Macs but haven’t tried it.

Well, I just jumped on-line and bought all of this. Cannot wait until it warms up next week and prove you right! I need my Pontoons looking better!

Back