Just grumbling a bit, only non warranty items break and a speed drop question.

Resqu2

Reaction score
My like new 2012 22ft SF with 34 hours when I bought it this winter came with a nice trolling motor which I have grown to depend on, it's a $670 setup and it lasted 42 hours which is the boat hours now so maybe 5 hours use. The board that is probably bad is a $150 fix but add shipping a heavy trolling 2 times to a far away service center and parts and labor it wasn't worth it so it's now replaced and is under warranty.

Next I have noticed a big speed drop, I was at 28 gps mph the first few trips out and now I'm at 20mph max no matter how it's trimmed or weather conditions, I trimmed the motor all way up and noticed one fin on the prop is badly bent, will this drop my speed that much?? A new prop is ordered after I bought one today for $150 that is just to small but a Yamaha mech said to not run the bent one, it's being sent off to be fixed, another $70.

Any other reason to look at for the speed loss? It's a 115hp Yamaha with no changes from when it was at 28 to the current 20mph. No idea on how or when the alum prop got bent so I can't say I hit something and my speed dropped, wish I could though.

Has RPM changed?

Are you going off GPS speed? or pitot tube?

Is boat stored in water?

or out of water on lift or trailer?

With 1 person you should run 27-29 all day long.

Has RPM changed?

Are you going off GPS speed? or pitot tube?

Is boat stored in water?

or out of water on lift or trailer?

With 1 person you should run 27-29 all day long.
Only means to measure is on my IPhone using the BoatTracker gps app, it is kept in a dock at the marina in the water, tubes are starting to need cleaned but not extremely bad yet. RPM's has stayed at 5600 wot and trim from all way down to way up does not change rpms or speed but maybe that's normal.

Growth on your toons would significantly drop your overall speed. Have them cleaned or get in the water and clean it with a brush or a big scotchbrite pad. It'll make a difference!

Surprised you didn't notice a serious vibration coming from your bent prop......

A damaged prop will definitely effect speed, and if it is damaged bad enough it could hurt your lower. Don't run a prop that is badly damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could also be water in the toon. Is it riding lower in the water? Can you hear any sloshing?

I haven't noticed any vibration at all and all my wife noticed is it handles differently. The Mech figured I'd have a bad vib. I also am pretty sure no water in the tubes, sits level and no sloshing. I will try cleaning the tube and the new, right prop will be here Wednesday.

If the fin is badly bent that is probably it.  Also question the boat load when comparing WOT speed; I have a Yamaha 115 as well, when it is just me and KP on board I can hit 28 mph, when the gang comes along and we have 8 or 10 people my speed would drop to that as well

If the fin is badly bent that is probably it.  Also question the boat load when comparing WOT speed; I have a Yamaha 115 as well, when it is just me and KP on board I can hit 28 mph, when the gang comes along and we have 8 or 10 people my speed would drop to that as well
Yea the figures I posted have been done with just me and a mostly full tank of gas, I go to the marina about once a week to clean her up and top her off so she's ready for the weekend, stated off a solid 28 and now a solid 20. I will wait till Wed and replace the prop, do a speed test then clean the toons and do another speed test.

What prop are you running and what does your wot run? Thanks, that info will help me decide if I have other issues after I do the two listed items on Wed.

Yea the figures I posted have been done with just me and a mostly full tank of gas, I go to the marina about once a week to clean her up and top her off so she's ready for the weekend, stated off a solid 28 and now a solid 20. I will wait till Wed and replace the prop, do a speed test then clean the toons and do another speed test.

What prop are you running and what does your wot run? Thanks, that info will help me decide if I have other issues after I do the two listed items on Wed.
It was most likely your prop.  Until you get the new prop on and test it you are just chasing ghosts.  Check most of the obvious reasons as given here, change your prop and go from there.  I think the new prop will solve this mystery :)

My prop is just the standard aluminum 13.5 x 15.  First year 2012 my boat ran 28mph at about 5800rpm, by the second year and since it was more like 26.  I recently added the express toon and when I took it out I hit 31.  I would definitely say something is wrong if you are only doing 20 but I still have to believe it is your damaged prop

Last edited by a moderator:
My SanPan tri went from 43 mph to 30 best, dirty toons... Cleaned & back to 43. My buddy with a ski boat went from 45 down to 28, we both have lifts now & this all happened in about 4 weeks or so.....

No problems after lift installs.

I also store my boat at the marina in the water. I cleaned my toons good at the end of April. By the beginning of June my toons did not look that bad but we cleaned them last weekend and I got about 6 MPH more after cleaning (per the Navionics GPS app). They looked good but I could feel a grit completly covering the bottom. I plan on adding a lift this fall but will just have to clean regularly until then. The bent prop will also drop it quite a bit. You don't want to run a bent or chipped prop. The vibration and wobble will kill the bearing and seals in the lower unit. I speak from experience several years ago on a mercury I had on a fish and ski boat. I only used it a few times while we were off on vacation camping and ended up having to replace the lower unit.

While we're on the topic of dirty toons, is there an easy, safe way to lift the boat off the trailer even a little bit to clean the areas that the trailer carpet will be covering or what? I'm picking it up from the lake shortly to take her home and clean it and replace the prop.

I have been cleaning mine in the water using a soft scotch brite type of pad. It is a little more difficult but works. The old center type trailers that supports under the floor is the ideal way to clean them. There is no support under the tunes blocking the bottom allowing you good access to the tunes.  I know they do not recommend proping tunes up where they are not fully supported for any period of time. I have heard that it puts a strain on the welds. I would think for a short period of time it would be ok. I would contact your dealer or Bennington customer service and ask the question. They should be more than willing to let you know.

Same here on cleaning in the water, my marina manager & one of the marina girls put life jackets on legs rather than arms & cleaned in no time & no charge so that tells you how easy it was to clean.

Same here on cleaning in the water, my marina manager & one of the marina girls put life jackets on legs rather than arms & cleaned in no time & no charge so that tells you how easy it was to clean.
W/L, I am not getting it.  Why PFD's on legs?  I take it they were in water over their heads but I would think that the PFD's on legs would be cumbersome.

W/L, I am not getting it.  Why PFD's on legs?  I take it they were in water over their heads but I would think that the PFD's on legs would be cumbersome.
If you do it right you can about stand up in them, getting you out of the water more.  I have seen people just messing around doing this, never did it myself.

I just use one of the standard orange type jackets. Set on it like a chair and it works perfect. Just about the right to reach from the bottom center of the toon to the top side then go to the inside and do the same. If you do it often it is much easier to clean. Looking forward to getting the lift.

Back