Just ordered a Bennington

kkarner

Reaction score
We just ordered the 2014 Bennington 2350 RBR with the SPS Performance package 3rd toon.

We have ordered a Yamaha F115 engine.

Does anyone know how this engine will perform?   Planing / speed?

We really won't be skiing or boarding behind.   Just cruising.

Any advice?

Get the 150!

I had a 22 foot s series with a 115 and sold it after 50 hours as it did not have any performance. We ordered a 24 s with sps and went with the 200 yamaha after test driving one. If you can swing it go to the 200, if not go with the 150 for sure. Trust us on this!

Thanks for you advice.    I am sure down deep inside I knew that !!!!!  I can still make the change.

Go with as much motor as you can. Kaydano has a very useful post regarding this. If anything think resale. You might not need the 150 but it's better to have the power and occasionally use it than to not have it and need it.

Got kids?  Grandkids?

If so, you will be tubing and skiing.

If teenagers, the 115 will have them saying "boring!"

Get the bigger engine --- 200 HP or more.  I learned the hard way.  Started with the 150 and wished I had gotten the 225 HP.   Like stated above, bigger outboard will do everything the smaller one will do and much more when you want/need it.  Congrats and good luck.    

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a UTube.com of a 24SSLX tachometer and speedometer running a F115 Yamaha engine accelerating up to top speed. Comparing it to my F150, there's a big difference in the way they run.

Go for the 150 hp engine, and you will be much happier.

I've been on three different Bennington's with 115hp and they all felt a little rough compared to the smoothness of the 150-200 block.

I guess it depends on your performance expectations.  A 2350 with SPS will typically run low 30's with a 115.  Load 5-6 passengers and speed drops into the mid 20's.  These are speeds at WOT.  Cruisings speeds will be much less.  A 150hp engine is more than adequate with the SPS pkg and is capable of speeds in the low 40's. The additional torque of a 150hp engine coupled with the larger gearcase / prop diameter allows for a HUGE performance improvement over the 115hp.   A 225hp is capable of mid to upper 40's, but I feel that the 150hp is the best bang for the buck where speed and fuel economy is concerned.   If you were buying the boat with the ESP pkg, I would agree with everyone else and say get 200hp at a minimum.

I had a 2013 SLMX with a 60 hp. Traded it in for a 2014 2275 GL with the 150HP. Originally ordered it with a 115 HP. The salesman convinced me that for a couple grand more, I would be much happier with the 150 Merc. I will know in spring if it ever comes to Wisconsin.

So glad to here about the bigger motor. Ordered a 2014 2350 RSR ESP with the 250 Yamaha Sunday at the boat show and was worried i went overboard (no pun intended). i will refer my wife to this post when she finds out. Looking next to get a trailer. Any suggestions?

So glad to here about the bigger motor. Ordered a 2014 2350 RSR ESP with the 250 Yamaha Sunday at the boat show and was worried i went overboard (no pun intended). i will refer my wife to this post when she finds out. Looking next to get a trailer. Any suggestions?
Congrats on the new boat and welcome!

Where are you located? Fresh or salt water? Will you trailer each time or do you have a slip and just use it for service and storage? These questions will guide to the right type of trailer.

Trailers also tend to be very regional. For example, my Mid-America from www.trailersforpontoons.com is great if you're in the midwest.

As always the decision has a lot to do with how you are going to use your boat.  We are slow cruisers and have never towed anything so I thought the 115 would be all we would ever need or want.  Because we at times have many neighbors on our boat the drop in performance is quite evident.  If I had to do it all over I would have ordered the 150.  Still don't think I would go higher than that for my needs/want [this statement will probably come back to haunt me]. 

A while back I did some research on HP & WOT and here is what I came up with: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/1965-hp-and-wot/?hl=%2Bbang+%2Bbuck

Congrats on the new boat and welcome!

Where are you located? Fresh or salt water? Will you trailer each time or do you have a slip and just use it for service and storage? These questions will guide to the right type of trailer.

Trailers also tend to be very regional. For example, my Mid-America from www.trailersforpontoons.com is great if you're in the midwest.
Thanks. Happy to be part of the Bennington family. I live in Ohio and only plan on fresh water. I have a slip but may want to trailer on the occasional trip. Thanks for the link i will check it out. The dealer I bought from sells Yacht Club trailers but wanted to shop around before making a decision.

Thanks. Happy to be part of the Bennington family. I live in Ohio and only plan on fresh water. I have a slip but may want to trailer on the occasional trip. Thanks for the link i will check it out. The dealer I bought from sells Yacht Club trailers but wanted to shop around before making a decision.
Trust me, these are much better than the Yacht Club ones. Talk to Paul Myers there and he'll take good care of you. He is right down the road from Bennington. They deliver to several states since they are wholesalers to marine dealers in the area.

To kkarner,

As I understand it, your 2014 2350 RBR is 25 1/2 feet long and weighs about 2968 lbs. (according to the Bennington website "Build This Boat Page").  I could be wrong, but I believe you will go about 27 to 29 mph with the 115 HP and could go about 37 mph with a 150 HP.  The reasons I believe this are as follows:

I personally test drove a 2013 2375 GCW with a 150 HP Yamaha just 2 months ago.  This boat has nearly the same specs as your boat.  I drove at WOT for about one minute, just long enough to check the speed and the RPM.  It reached 37 MPH at 5800 RPM and 19 mph at 3500 RPM, and I was very pleased.  So I believe you will go about 37 MPH if you buy the 150 HP engine.

Although I never test drove a 115 HP engine, 2 months ago I had your same question that you have now.  On the Yamaha Performance Bulletin Website

(  http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins ), there is a Sweetwater Triple Pontoon boat weighing 4095 lbs. (similar to your boat's weight) that was 25' 9" (similar to your boat's length) with a 115 HP engine (similar to your boat's engine) and it went 27.1 mph at WOT (5800 RPM) and 14.0 mph at 3500 RPM.    All the pontoon boats I saw in your length, weight, and HP range went about 27 mph.  There also is a Bennington Pontoon boat listed with a 115 HP engine on that website as well, but it is a 24 SLi that is 23' 10" long (which is 2' 8" shorter than your boat) and weighed 2857 lbs. as tested (probably about 200 lbs. lighter than your boat if you subtract the battery, the gasoline and the testing equipment).   This boat went 32.7 MPH at 5850 RPM and 17.2 mph at 3500 RPM.  But as I said,  this boat was 2' 10" shorter than yours and probably 200 lbs. lighter than yours.  

Most of the pontoon boats on the Yamaha Performance Bulletin Website that were powered by a 115 HP engine and that were also in your boat's approximate size and weight range only went about 27 mph.  

So I've concluded your boat will probably go about 27 to 29 mph with a 115 hp engine and about 37 mph with a 150 hp engine.  On the other hand, I discovered that the Bennington owners on this Forum are pretty smart and they may be correct that you will go in the low 30's.  But I don't think so.  I recommend you test drive a similar boat or ask the dealer if he'd mind giving you references of previous identical boat owners to call and ask them yourself.  

That being said, I agree with every one else,...get a 150 HP engine.  I won't be "skiing or boarding behind" either, "just cruising".  I am 62 years old and my children have given up the water sports and my grandchildren probably will only be tubing (at best)   And I ordered a 150 HP as the best compromise engine.  I think the 150 HP engine has the best combination of  power and economy for my needs.  

David

Thank you to all who have contributed to my questions.   We have ordered the 150 HP and think it is a wise  investment.

Now lets get rid of this Winter!!!!

You won't regret going with the 150. And come on spring for sure!!!! And don't forget we need some pics when it comes in.

Back