Keeping the Toons Looking Great

Honestly you would think being in the Pittsburgh Area I would be able to find someone who would Polish and Shark Hide Toons

We are not Michigan or Minnesota but we have Lakes I live on one

We have 3 Rivers 

And the only two Bennington Dealers in a 100 mile radius have turned me down on Polishing and only one will do the Shark Hide !!

Looks Like I Will Have To Do The DIY Thing

23852965.jpg

Swans On Lake Tomahawk, Ohio

Last edited by a moderator:
Those guys do some amazing work!

With the thickness of the pontoons being pretty thin is there any wory to making them too thin and thus causing leaks with polishing them?

Well I hope all this stuff from Zephyr wroks as good as Big Block claims because I ordered everything over the weekend....$200 in stuff.  Looking forward to bring the boat home and starting on this project now.

Looking forward to seeing the results. If you get ambitious you could make a video and post it. I'm sure other brand owners would find in informational.

Yeah I'll do that...take before and after pics and videos.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD2BJ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered two airway wheels (white) and a pound of rouge on Amazon for $29 delivered.  They will be here tomorrow.  Since I polished the toons by hand last year, I figured I'd go straight to the white wheels thinking (hoping) that will be good enough. It should be since I was pretty happy with how it turned out last year when I did it by hand with old T-shirts and White Lightning, but since I didn't do the Sharkhide, the shine was gone in just a few weeks (2-3).  Shouldn't take much to get the shine back.

Sharkhide was $65.  So about $100 total for me.

I ordered the Sharkhide option.  Do they apply it to the toons only or do they do the transom area as well?

I ordered the Sharkhide option.  Do they apply it to the toons only or do they do the transom area as well?
My transom was also done last season .

Ok so here are the before pics...before I start with the Zephyr products (hopefully this weekend):

gallery_300_298_4512905.png

gallery_300_298_440820.png

gallery_300_298_2455010.png

gallery_300_298_880501.jpg

Keith,

Can't wait to see some "under progress" pictures.

Keith,

Can't wait to see some "under progress" pictures.

So do you still think that I can start with the step you said to start with and not clean the toons first?

Your tubes look pretty smoothed out but you do have heavy oxidation at the waterline. I would definitely pressure/acid clean the tubes prior to the buff. You actually save a lot of time this way.

You should be able to skip the primary buffing step and head straight to the secondary/finish step.

Remember, once you are done polishing and have properly applied your Sharkhide, you should never need to go thru the polishing step again.

So, what specifically do you recommend I acid wash them with?  Last year I just used a bunch of toilet cleaner (which has always worked great on fiberglass boats).

ToonBrite, Sharkhide Cleaner, basically any aluminum acid cleaner.

I'm always so fearful that after I use something like that....it turns it white....that I won't get the shine back.

I have two bottles of MaryKate Alumanex Pontoon cleaner I'll give someone... Reading the instructions scared me...

It will turn white, then with buffing it will shine.

Back